cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Address On Shipping Lable

I got a buyer that left me a negative feedback for an item that was shipped to the address on the shipping lable option.  I issued a full refund because the package tracking says "delivered at mailbox" .  Now when I check the buyer's address,  it is totally different.  I think the buyer changed the address after I shipped.  So,  I end up with a negative feedback, and no item,  and the buyer gets a full refund and positive feedback.  Is there any way ebay can remove that negative since it wasn't my fault the address given to me was wrong?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Did you ship before you were paid? I ask because aside from a glitch(which is always possible) the only way a buyers address can change is between purchase and payment. A buyer can change their address when they pay. And that is commonly done.

Was the wrong address something known to the buyer or an address he never heard of? In other words wrong in that he didn't want it shipped there or wrong as in totally wrong?

The buyers feedback makes it sound like he's mainly mad about you blaming him rather than the error.  It's not usually a good idea to start beef.

But the feedback should be removable if you shipped to the address attached to the payment and focus on the shipping part rather than the acting like it was his fault part.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If it says "delivered at mailbox" then it was delivered.

They are right, the address cannot be changed once the buyer pays.   Only you can change the address when you ship it and if you didn't then....

Also, you can check the sales record and see the address and/or look at the PayPal transaction and see the address OR the part of the label that you cut off as your record, the address is there.

I would not have refunded it...I would have called eBay and have them remove the feedback.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@squddle wrote:

I got a buyer that left me a negative feedback for an item that was shipped to the address on the shipping lable option.  I issued a full refund because the package tracking says "delivered at mailbox" .  Now when I check the buyer's address,  it is totally different.  I think the buyer changed the address after I shipped.  So,  I end up with a negative feedback, and no item,  and the buyer gets a full refund and positive feedback.  Is there any way ebay can remove that negative since it wasn't my fault the address given to me was wrong?

Always great when you get a sell but transaction isn't done until buyer is happy with a 5 star feed back.  Wait until item is paid for always...then slow down...check the address...invoice the buyer so that you are in control here, then they can contact you through eBay e.mail as to any corrections. Absolute NO refunds until all other avenues are gone through...First thing I do when I get a sold is to contact the buyer...send them a nice note for choosing your item on eBay...I have the label processed already so in this note I can up load their tracking #...communication is really a important key to a 5 star feed back.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

1.  Go to your sold orders listings find this item

2.  Click on the item description (purple lettering).

3. Then click on View Order Details (upper left).

4.  Locate the shipping address in the top left side box.  This should be  same shipping address you shipped to and was the  ship to address the buyer provide you at the time they paid for the item.  The buyre  can change their address after your transaction but this is the address of record at the time they bought from you.

a.  If not then your buyer has a  ligit "beef" & a neg FB can be expected .

b.  If this is the same address as your shipping lable  and your tracking shows it was "delivered at mail box" - your responsibility as a seller was completed (unless you shipped the incorrect manual or it was destroyed  in transit).    It seems to me you were premature in refunding adn are out your $$, item and have a  neg on your profile.   If you did right then you may want to call eBay CS and plead your  case.

GL

PS:   Having a neg on  your profile is not the end of the world - it will go away in a year and eBay does not measure your selling performance by the negs - they  just provide  that "red hickie" for potentional buyers to view.  Just accumulate more positive FB adn this one will get buried (kinda' like wearing a turtle neck shirt to  hide that "hickie")

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@impalajohnny

The OP stated he refunded the buyer, so it is safe to assume his buyer paid then the OP shipped.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I just had this happen recently. They buyer contacted me by sending me a message. I personally called her back and explained that I was contacting eBay. I called the resolution center and they confirmed the Buyer's address was changed a few months ago and that the buyer needed to contact the resolution center. I did not have to issue a refund because it was not our fault as a seller. I then called the buyer back and explained what eBay told me and advised her to do. I have not gotten any negative feedback. And although the buyer's address was changed without her knowledge, she was going to call the police and file a formal complaint. If there is ever any question, and being new to eBay, I have plenty, I don't hesitate to call the help line or keep communication open with the buyer.

Another issue I had was the CEP# was different. They buyer contacted me directly after the sale. I issued them a refunded, and relisted the item. They updated their address, then repurchased the item. It went really smooth. I also explained why I couldn't send it directly to her w/ the updated address since the transaction went through Global Shipping.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for all your help everyone!  I probably should have waited a bit before refunding,  but since I was trying to avoid any negatives and it was a small amount,  I thought what the heck.   I put in a request to revise the feedback and the buyer agreed!  No more negative!  However,  I did notice that when I click on the tracking number,  it said "not deliverable as addressed"  and about an hour and a half after that,  it said "delivered at mailbox".   I was going to contact the post office to see why at first it was undeliverable,  and then about an hour and a half later,  it was delivered,  but probably won't since the negative is gone.  I really appreciate all your help.  I haven't been to the chat boards in years and they all seem different here.  There used to be one called the cafe or something?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@squddle wrote:

Always log directly into your PP acct to verify that you have been paid and to verify the correct "ship to" address.

The "ship to" address showing on the PP transaction details page is the only address you should use.

ONLY that address in PP provides you protection against not received claims when you use tracking.

I never send invoices, because that would be based on the buyers registered address or primary shipping address location, although not always the correct address for shipping this time.

Buyers can edit, add or change the ship to address when paying.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

have you called ebay and asked them about it...see if they can tell what address was on the account at the time of sale?

call them....

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

have you called ebay and asked them about it...see if they can tell what address was on the account at the time of sale?

call them....

Only the address on the paypal payment matters.

If the seller printed the label prior to payment being received the "ship to" address can be incorrect and that is probably what happened.

As mentioned by others buyers can not change the "ship to" address AFTER they submit payment, only at the time payment is made (or prior via their ebay account set up address preferences page)

If the seller really shipped to the PP transaction details page address he would have been protected/winning any "item not received claim" when tracking shows delivered.

No refund to buyer.

Neg FB would be removed when seller wins claim, or by calling ebay.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply