cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you unblock this guy?

A few times a buyer can confuse the Navy Blue shirts I sell to look like Black because they are so dark. I usually tell them to look at the underside of the shirt since it tends to be a bit lighter to see that it is not Black, it's Blue. Most of the time that solves it. Other times they end up not even bothering with my response and just continue to yell at me saying it's Black and returns it. I always receive those back as returns and it's Navy Blue.

This one buyer made this mistake too but sent me a pretty harsh first message. He filed a SNAD too, it got auto-accepted. In his very rude message, he tells me he is going to leave me a negative, some of it yelling using all caps, says how extremely upset he is with me, name calls, and goes on. I immediately blocked him. I didn't reply to him yet and the next day he closes the SNAD and messages me that now he can see that the shirt is a dark Navy Blue and to ignore his first message.

Now, 3 weeks later, he messages me saying he is trying to buy from me. And asks me if I blocked him. What would you do? unblock him? I'm concerned that he's liable to jump to crazy conclusions again with his attitude. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Would you unblock this guy?

I would not respond to him at all - you are not required to - and I would absolutely NOT respond to his message.  Beware of him making a new user ID to get around the block.  There is nothing you can really do about it if he does.  It is against the rules but eBay usually won't do anything about it and you will have to ship. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

It's after 3 AM here and I am having trouble typing what I'm thinking.  I was trying to say do NOT unblock him. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Keep him blocked. Also if it isn't already don't forget to check the "Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me." box 😄

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Not a chance! If I get the slightest hint that the person I am talking to is stupid, rude, or trying to run a scam, they are immediately blocked forever. No exceptions.

Last time I had some idiot tell me he was going to "ruin me" by "telling everybody on social media". LOL! Social media is not where ebay is advertised, I do not have a brand name you can call out, and I'm sure this moron doesn't have more than 2 friends. Hilarious.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

No you should not unblock him and really shouldn't reply to him at all. Hope he goes away and doesn't purchase from you under another account. There are strange people out there, and he is too quick to temper. Try to avoid him and move along from this. Don't think about him any further....

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

How badly do you want/need the sale? That should be the first priority.

Otherwise, no, don’t unblock. I’m not one who normally blocks as a general rule, but think i’d make an exception in this case. Did he apologize for the first rude message? One top of that, it is a policy violation to threaten a seller with poor feedback. Called you names and yelled. No excuse. He squandered your good will, and this is why we have a block list.

@gwzcomps great advice to restrict the communication of those on a seller’s block list. To clarify, that specific Buyer Requirement block doesn't work if the buyer has been in a transaction with the seller. But good reminder!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Personally, I would NOT unblock the buyer.  The buyer seems to be well versed and experienced at bullying techniques, which I'm sure you will see again - whether you unblock or not.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

No chance.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

How badly do you want/need the sale? That should be the first priority.

Otherwise, no, don’t unblock. I’m not one who normally blocks as a general rule, but think i’d make an exception in this case. Did he apologize for the first rude message? One top of that, it is a policy violation to threaten a seller with poor feedback. Called you names and yelled. No excuse. He squandered your good will, and this is why we have a block list.

@gwzcomps great advice to restrict the communication of those on a seller’s block list. To clarify, that specific Buyer Requirement block doesn't work if the buyer has been in a transaction with the seller. But good reminder!

I  believe that the communication block will kick in at 30 days after last responding to a buyer.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

If a buyer cause you to clock them I would not remove the block. In the future perhaps it would be good to take a picture of the tag and include it in the listings pictures. If you have a major issue with navy blue being confused as black. I would 1st make sure the color is clearly stated in the listing tittle, description, and item specifics. Play around with your lighting and cameras setting to see if you can find a way to get the image to show the color in a better way. Then if you still get returns stop buying navy blue items to sell on eBay.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I usually do not unblock someone that I placed on my BBL simply because if I had reason to put them there originally, I don't see any reason for that to have changed.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Wow this is a pretty tough crowd.  And here i go going to disagree with everyone. 

Just my opinion. I don't think someone returning something would warrant an automatic BLOCK. I would have to weigh all the facts and circumstances. If he has the potential to be a repeat customer and was not rude or threatening, I would definitely consider not blocking him.  

Also, you mentioned that you had on-going problems with the black/blue thing.  If that's the case, fix it. Make it clear that they are getting black or blue. 

Good luck to you!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Sorry, I read your post more carefully. 

Yes, i would block him and KEEP him blocked. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Wow this is a pretty tough crowd.  And here i go going to disagree with everyone. 

Just my opinion. I don't think someone returning something would warrant an automatic BLOCK. I would have to weigh all the facts and circumstances. If he has the potential to be a repeat customer and was not rude or threatening, I would definitely consider not blocking him.  

Also, you mentioned that you had on-going problems with the black/blue thing.  If that's the case, fix it. Make it clear that they are getting black or blue. 

Good luck to you!

Alas!  Because of the difference in how different monitors perceive color, the only way to convey the color of the item is through the use of text in the description.  Unfortunately, it is often not possible to get a buyer to read the description fully.  It reminds me of saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 29
latest reply