cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

That would be my concern @blurryrobot  

if op is counting on only GW bins and the kind of items and items worth buying for resell.

I would think that picking many different sources would be required unless the bins are extra nice unique and/or rare finds to make enough monthly to pay rent plus everything else to have a roof, food electricity, money for inventory - exc.

Message 31 of 58
latest reply

Re: Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Plus, Goodwill's bins are only as good as Goodwill's manager allows them to be, and that can change overnight.  Dangerous if dependent!

Message 32 of 58
latest reply

@blurryrobot wrote:

Plus, Goodwill's bins are only as good as Goodwill's manager allows them to be, and that can change overnight.  Dangerous if dependent!

When it comes to both sourcing and selling, it's very risky to put all your eggs in one basket if it's your sole source of income.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 33 of 58
latest reply

I worked a work-study class first or second year of college over seeing 'sorting  workers' processing donations and a few years later volunteered at the thrift store as a clerk and can confirm that of course donations are pre-picked by resellers and what those resellers are selling you will never find on display in the stores.

items were held for resellers and workers on a regular basis.

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

Totally agree depends who is running the show

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

You could, but I wouldn't rely solely on one selling site to do it.  Also, prepare to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week.  If you don't mind doing that, you can do pretty much anything.

Since you're already experienced at selling and the bins, I think time and endurance to be your biggest considerations.  I would not get that storage unit right away, though - get that roof over your head and go from there.

I worked two jobs and sold online to pay off $80,000 worth of debt from a business bust - I worked 80 hour weeks with only an occasional day off. It was a lot of hustling and I live in an expensive area so my living expenses were higher, but I managed with diligence and organisation.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 36 of 58
latest reply

@terrycece62 wrote:

Totally agree depends who is running the show

The inmates, generally.  At Hoodwill, let's just say not to trust them.  The only good stuff that gets onto the floor or into the bin is there by mistake. I'm not even seeing Starbuck's mugs here any more.

One local children's charity thrift is unfortunately similar.  They let people who volunteer with the organization but NOT in the stores shop  before they're open, in full view of any customer waiting to get in.    It may be legal, but it's not a great way to induce loyalty.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 37 of 58
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Any thrifter/reseller worth their salt will not be paying rent but building equity with a mortgage.

That's not realistic for many people.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 58
latest reply

Not that Starbucks stuff is worth much anymore since China got in on the act.

There's so many fakes out there now, that the actual buy it in the store Starbucks stuff is WAY overpriced for what it is.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 39 of 58
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Not that Starbucks stuff is worth much anymore since China got in on the act.

There's so many fakes out there now, that the actual buy it in the store Starbucks stuff is WAY overpriced for what it is.

Hence the reason I only buy them in thrifts or at rummage/tag/estate sales.  Some of the older mugs were good quality. Anyone buying for resale shouldn't bother except for a few rare exceptions.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 40 of 58
latest reply

Yes, because you're reliant entirely on what happens to get donated that month. One month you might find a ton of great stuff that will net good money and/or sell quickly, and the next month might be nothing but duds or stuff that will probably take a year or two to sell.

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

This particular thrifter/reseller was homeless a very short time ago.  

Where do you figure they would get the down payment and closing costs?

There is more to home buying than "building equity with a mortgage".

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

Not to mention that pesky credit score thing.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 43 of 58
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Not to mention that pesky credit score thing.

Of course, now those with bad credit scores are getting better mortgage rates than those with good credit scores. Effective today. 😐

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Goodwill stores all around the country are different. But I would say it would be extremely difficult.

Message 45 of 58
latest reply