cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will GTC Listing Not Be Found IN Ending Soon searches because they NEVER END?

I know this is NOT TRUE of all sellers, so those that feel it is absolutely necessary to rush in and say that, I have already done it for you.  No need to thank me.

As some that live on this site know, I list collectibles, even collectibles that eBay doesn't know are collectibles like VHS tape and LP records etc.

After 20 years of doing this, I have discovered a few things.

One, is that I get sales from some items as soon as they are listed and all usually get an immediate view.  So, I believe those buyers do a search on Newly Listed.

Two, I have noticed that I get sales just before my items end.  Didn't matter if they were listed for 7 days or 30 days, they sold the day before or the same day they ended.  So, I believe those buyers searched Ending Soon.

eBay says that most sales are on Sunday and for me that is true too.  Maybe people have more free time to be on eBay on Sunday.

However, with the new Forever GTC that never ends, will that mean those items will never show up in an ending soon search?  While not eliminating all buyers, eliminating those buyers from GTC listings?

Does anyone at eBay actually ever consider unintended consequences to their changes?

Or it just all about changing WHAT WORKS to WHAT SOUNDS GOOD?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

AFAIK if a GTC listing is left to end then renew automatically it WILL show up under an "ending soonest" search. Where GTC won't show up is under "newly listed" even when it rolls over.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

When search results are sorted by "Ending soonest," the GTC listings show up based on their next expected rollover date.  

However, when the search results are sorted by "Newly listed," the GTC listings are sorted by their original listing date, so they gradually sink lower and lower.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

A needle in a haystack?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

When search results are sorted by "Ending soonest," the GTC listings show up based on their next expected rollover date.  

However, when the search results are sorted by "Newly listed," the GTC listings are sorted by their original listing date, so they gradually sink lower and lower.

Of course everyone will be in the same boat now (except for those sellers ending before rollover & relisting).

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Of course everyone will be in the same boat now (except for those sellers ending before rollover & relisting).

Or just do Auctions.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Not everything is a good fit for auctions.

As it is now I throw stuff up at auction that isn't, just because I'm paying for those auctions monthly and I'm **bleep** well using them. Every now and then a couple sell lol

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Or just do Auctions.

Depending on the category you sell in, auctions don't have the same pull as they once did years ago.  That is why most other sites similar to Ebay don't even do auctions anymore.  And it is another reason why Ebay is moving to GTC listings.

Also keep in mind that those that do not want to use GTC listings but want to stay selling on Ebay are likely to move to auctions too.  So there will be more competition for you.

Just some thoughts to consider.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

On the eBay Canada boards we were told by tyler@ebay that GTC listings "end" every 30 days, at which point they relist and a new monthly fee is charged.

It lists as "re-listed" and doesn't get the bump in Search of a newly listed or Sell Similar listing.

However, before it closes it does get the About to Close bump.

Which should make sellers think twice about the strategy of ending early, since they might be missing the closing bump to get the opening bump.

And of course, all Fixed Price sellers will be in the same boat, so there's that.

Another poster has suggested using 10 day Auctions with Buy It Now as an option for those who do not want to use GTC.

It's easy to forget that Stores have as many "free"* Auctions as Fixed Price listings, this could work well for some sellers.

And I will once again mention, that if a seller lists on multiple sites, she gets her Free listings on each site.

My 250 Store FP listings on dotCOM are supplemented by 250 FP listings on dotCA (Canada). No extra charge. I could add more by listing on dotcodotuk (United Kingdom). There are quirks to listing on multiple sites.

*Really reduced fee.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I'm STILL waiting in mid March for ebay Canada to fix the "glitch" that won't allow collectibles category to have 14 day returns.

I'm assuming anything listed on the Canada site isn't subject to GTC yet.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote: ... Another poster has suggested using 10 day Auctions with Buy It Now as an option for those who do not want to use GTC.

It's easy to forget that Stores have as many "free"* Auctions as Fixed Price listings, this could work well for some sellers.....

But Store subscribers have to pay a fee to add a 'Buy it now" option on their auctions, ranging from 5 to 25 cents depending on the BIN price.  So a month of exposure with three 10-day auctions would cost about the same as a GTC rollover.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have been using GTC listings for years. What's really bad is if you are being throttled back and make a new listing it will never show up as a new listing. Lower and lower it will go pulling all your others down the pit with it.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

Good point.

I have the impression that most of the sellers panicking about the GTC are also depending on the 50 Free and are not Store sellers.

I could be wrong.

Since Stores don't have free listings (only reduced fee once we divide the number of listings by the store fee) perhaps the answer is just to list fewer items -- only 240 when we could list 250 for example. (The math is beyond me- I'm dysnumeric.)

Or accept that from time to time we will pay 35 cents for a listing. My afternoon latte costs $4.50- that's 12 listings. 

Yeah, I know- Check my privilege.

Time is money.

It seems we can either invest our time in checking our about to close listings and manually closing those that are not performing*, missing the 'closing' bump.

Or occasionally spend 35 cents when a listing rolls over.

*Which then go to our Unsold List for 60-90 days.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Again, representing a Store as having no value except for the Free Listing allotment for the level of store you have.  You've been at this too long to know that to be true.

Do you not save on your FVF or do you not see that as a benefit of a Store?  Can you get that discount without having a store?

Yes, like many other things in life, having a store front, table at a flea market, a booth at a fair, etc.  It all costs real money.  But along with those fees come benefits.  Only looking at one single aspect of the benefits does not mean that is the only benefit.  Nor does it accurately represent the facts.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Not a store subscriber, just the occasional seller of no longer needed items, I buy much more than I sell and I can tell anyone that cares to listen, I ALWAYS use the newly listed search, because if I searched and didn't find what I needed, why should I search the old stuff again?

A friend of mine has a basic store, she is going to end her listings every Sunday to re list again, her sales all along have been right after listing or on Sundays, very few in between, she is going to keep the same routine, not letting Ebay pinhole her in the business model they believe benefit ALL, because they are WRONG!

Ebay is no longer the place to come and sell for a fee, they keep using sellers to provide inventory for EBAY SALES AND PROFIT, so THEY DICTATE the way it should be, whether you sell antique coins, books, your kids outgrown clothes or car parts....

I hope that some savvy company, will see the opportunity and start a new site with the OLD Ebay business model. Then sayonara Ebay! 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply