cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no negative feedback for deadbeat bidders/winners

Why can’t you leave negative feedback for winners who never pay. I have never had so many people win auctions and no payment, no communication. And with sports cards, the earlier you can list and sell the better so these deadbeats are costing me money. Why no negative?? It’s ridiculous.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Why no negative feedback for deadbeat bidders/winners

Yeah true but I have been told by bidders they won’t take 2nd chance offers cause it’s too easy for let’s say my friend to bid up the auction 

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes wrote:

If it does nothing why did they even bother changing??? Maybe the change should have been a setting where you can’t bid if you have 5…or 7…or whatever number of negative comments as a buyer. 

Did you read my post?

I'll restate...

When sellers could hand out negative feedback they would do it simply in retaliation for a real or more likely imagined reason.

If you as a buyer left a negative for a seller because they a) waited 10 days to ship your order and b) it arrived so poorly packed that is was destroyed during shipping. Then 10 minutes later you receive a scathing negative in  return, how would you feel about that?

That's how it was back in the day.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

No system is perfect. So now bidders can bid and bid and bid and not pay with no consequences. Did you read my post?? I stayed what the change should have been. Have a nice day

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes 

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, if you are, my apologies.

On a non-paying bidder, give them 4 days, cancel on the 5th day. Reason: Buyer did not pay.

This will give the buyer a strike.  After 2 of these strikes sellers can block this "deadbeat" bidder.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 19 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes ,

Here is my advice to never get another non paying bidder. Stop using auctions and list your items fixed price at the absolute LOWEST price you will take with immediate payment required.  Do not allow the buyer to make offers.

Look up what the item you are listing recently sold for and price it 25% less or so and you will sell in in no time.

Easy peasey no more non paying bidders and you will increase your sales at the same time. 

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes ,

Not if you check the "Immediate Payment Required" box when you do your listing.

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes ,

If auctions are such a big issue for you. Why are you still using them? Less than 20% of sales  on ebay are via auction.

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

Because back in the day there were a few bad sellers who would leave retaliatory feedback on buyers so eBay made it so all buyers have little halos over their heads now. 

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@richtwes ,

Here is my advice to never get another non paying bidder. Stop using auctions and list your items fixed price at the absolute LOWEST price you will take with immediate payment required.  Do not allow the buyer to make offers.

Look up what the item you are listing recently sold for and price it 25% less or so and you will sell in in no time.

Easy peasey no more non paying bidders and you will increase your sales at the same time. 

If I was switching from Auctions to Fixed Price (done that, 15 years ago) I would be raising prices on most things because people are willing to pay more if they can just buy it and get it instead of playing games.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

Are you saying that you are NOT cancelling, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason?

Why not?  

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

All sellers have the option to refuse to deal with nonpayers who have at least 1two nonpaying strikes in 12 months.

So here's the question:  Are you routinely cancelling those transactions after four days? And do you have buyer requirements set so that you do not have to deal with those who have the two strikes? 

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

So we're all "just eBay suck ups"?

We are trying to help you by telling you the most effective way to handle nonpaying bidders.

Have not yet heard whether or not you are routinely cancelling.  If you follow those steps, it does not take two weeks for you to be able to relist your cards.

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

What's your definition of "no consequences"?

More than a few of us have explained your options as a seller.

Two pages later, you haven't mentioned how you are handling nonpayers.

There ARE consequences, but this requires sellers who know what to do it and do it.  

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

So now bidders can bid and bid and bid and not pay with no consequences. Did you read my post??

There are consequences.

That's what people are telling you.

If the deadbeat does not pay within 96 hours you can open a Unpaid Item Cancellation.

You have been told this.

The deadbeat gets a Strike.

You have been told this.

Thousands of sellers have an automatic Block against bidders with Strikes.

You have been told this.

The Block prevents the deadbeat from bidding on auctions by those sellers.

You have been told this.

You can set the same Block under your Seller Preference/Bidder Requirements

You have been told this.

Fixed Price listings can have Immediate Payment Required and only sell if the buyer has paid.

You have been told this.

FP listings can last for 30 days, but also for just minutes if the buyer spots the Listing right after it appears on the site.

You may not have worked that out, but if 25 listings go up, with one as Fixed Price and the rest as Auction, the FP one will probably sell immediately at the price the seller wanted.

Add IPR and payment will be in the Seller's account right away.

The other 24 will sell at falling prices seven days later, and some of those will not be paid, in part because of thrill bidding, in part because the bidders have bids on several auctions and only pay the lowest price, in part because Auctions lack Immediate Gratification.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

@richtwes ,

Not if all sellers would cancel on day 5 and select "buyer did not pay" as the reason. Every time a seller does that the seller gets a strike. If sellers set up no bids allowed from buyers with more than 2 non payments strikes it would prevent that bidder from bidding.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply