cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay accepting auto-returns?

Who is paying for the return shipping?  

This week has been really tough; 

It seems people are abusing the ebay system when they order something, don't read size charts, and then complain, and ebay is automatically approving returns? 😞  

How do we opt out? 

Most people selling on ebay do not have funds to pay for return shipping... Any advice, or how to stop auto-return? Or is this something beyond ebay sellers control? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Why is ebay accepting auto-returns?

Did you read the fall seller update?  If you accept returns then all remorse returns are automatically accepted. The buyer pays for return shipping unless you offer free returns. You accept returns so nobody is abusing the system here. You can switch to a no returns policy however you might end up with false SNADs. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@cool-chaos  Spring Seller Update - Simplified Returns http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

@missjen831  Do you have any insight about how automated returns will handle buyer-paid remorse returns?  TIA

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Are you asking how to turn off auto accept function for returns as it stands currently (no spring update yet)?

If so, go to your eBay summary page, go into your accounts tab. Click on site preferences in the left margin. Scroll down to where it says return preferences and edit that. It takes you to a page where you can set automatic acceptance different return requests regarding reason of return and/or price.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@*eponymous*wrote:

@cool-chaos  Spring Seller Update - Simplified Returns http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

@missjen831  Do you have any insight about how automated returns will handle buyer-paid remorse returns?  TIA

Automated acceptance of remorse returns is ONLY for when the buyer is paying the return shipping. If it's free returns then sellers have an opportunity to refund without a return if they wish.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

If you take returns, you take them for any reason, including buyer's remorse.

So in buyer's remorse cases, the buyer would pay return shipping and you would be required to take the return anyway.  So to speed up the process, and possibly to avoid sellers trying to fight these returns, Ebay automatically accepts it and provides the buyer with a lable.

Some sellers think that returns mean they can pick and choose which ones they will accept.  Their listings may show returns but in the description they will say, only if I have misrepresented the item, which is not how returns work.  And you are required to take a return, if you want one, if the item is misrepresented or SNAD.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

That is why all my listings states that all sales are final as I don't take returns.   Ebay will allow buyer a return for any reason if you allow returns and I want some control.  As an individual seller I generally only have one of an item so I can't offer an exchange.  However, when I print my label the shipping confirmation message  states that if they are unhappy with their purchase for any reason to contact me so that I can resolve it for them as we are committed to providing them with  a good buying experience.  I just don't want to be subject to someone's impulse buying or sport bidding.  If someone contacts me I do offer a refund upon return.  I have recently declined a request for a return because the buyers asked after 8 weeks.  Another one demanded an immediate refund but wouldn't return the merchandise.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I do offer returns and exchanges. I can tell you this new automated system has created more work for me. The exchanges are not being recognized by the system, nor are buyers given that option. So after I send the replacement I have to call in and manually have them close the return.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Regardless of what you put on a return policy as far as NO RETURNS, you will be expected to provide returns. Buyers are not playing this game people and they will do chargebacks to get their money back no matter what Ebay does to allow for NO RETURNS. People who offer returns have MORE SALES, because NOBODY wants to buy something that they cannot return if they do not want it or like it. They also file FALSE SNAD cases to get their money back.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Buyers cannot request an immediate refund without returning the merchandise.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

"Buyers cannot request an immediate refund without returning the merchandise."

Oh but they can and do; however, it's up to us sellers to not let them get away with it. I was stupid enough as a relatively new seller to do that twice - just accept a liars' word and rush to refund their $ and say, "oh, no need to send the item back..."

Fool me once... boy did I learn quick. I also then learned that there's a face-fa r t group that actually looks for sellers who do this so they can get their "freebie" by literally lying, cheating and stealing and then share with each other who the "sucker-sellers" are. Good grief.

And buyer fraud seems to be ramping up and I really do fear these new updates will make it only worse. (sigh)

I had 3 in the last 2 weeks claim something was wrong with the item, so I grit my teeth, take a loss on the entire sale due to liars forcing me to pay for return shipping and make them send the item back. One had smashed the DVD with a hammer - you could clearly see the indentation of the hammer. One day maybe I'll laugh at that but so far I haven't been able to. Two others just flat out lied and said their discs "skipped". Made them send them back, took the time to run them all the way through on 3 different DVD players - not a glitch, skip or goof on either of them.

But, they got their "free" return shipping off my back, which stole the little profit I'm able to eck out of each sale, and then some.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Buyers will say anything but I don't have to act on their demands. I will make them follow eBay return procedure.  If they want a refund they have to return the merchandise.  The buyer who demanded an immediate refund filed a SNAD claim.  I sent her the return shipping label but she failed to return the merchandise. When she failed to return by the date required by eBay I contacted them and had them close the claim in my favor.  I knew that the item I sold was exactly as described and she was fishing for a price reduction.   I know that if someone wants to return something they will despite any no returns policy I may have.  That's fine with me but they have to file a SNAD claim to do it. I just don't care to accept returns for any reason.   I will take a return if a buyer asks as I would rather have a happy buyer.  I do a good job describing my items so I seldom get requests for a return.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@cool-chaoswrote:

Who is paying for the return shipping?  

This week has been really tough; 

It seems people are abusing the ebay system when they order something, don't read size charts, and then complain, and ebay is automatically approving returns? 😞  

How do we opt out? 

Most people selling on ebay do not have funds to pay for return shipping... Any advice, or how to stop auto-return? Or is this something beyond ebay sellers control? 

Don't be quick to just blame the buyer for not reading something. eBay has been hiding descriptions with a link button. I would suggest that you log off eBay, an than check some of your listings for whether or not your info is showing up without clicking the Button.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Last year, Ebay went to automatic returns if you accept returns, because if you accept returns, you accept them for any reason.  Therefore there is no reason for them to not have the process be automatic.  The buyer pays return shipping, so ebay just sends them the label.  

I believe there was some misunderstand among sellers.  Some would state they accepted returns, but then put in the description that they only take returns if the item is not as described, and that is against policy.  You can't pick and choose.  Some sellers challenged buyers and send abusive messages, or tried to intimiated the buyer into abandoning their request because they really did not want the item back.  Ebay automating the procedure put an end to that.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

To stop auto return, don't choose to accept returns.  List as no returns accepted.

But the MBG still overrides your no returns policy.  

Message 15 of 17
latest reply