cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Paypal and Ebay allowing customers to use credit card chargebacks to get items for free??

I don't understand how it is legal for a customer to keep an item they purchased and then file a credit card dispute and get their money back?  Why is this not covered under seller protection?  I am not a big seller, but I have been selling for 10 years on Ebay.  I had a customer who wished to return an item because it didn't fit with what she wanted.  I told her she could return it, however since there was nothing wrong with it, she would have to pay for the return shipping.  3 weeks later, she files a credit card dispute.  I just got a note from Paypal saying the amount was deducted from my account along with a $20 fee.  So now I am out the $60 item, the shipping I paid, ($25.00) AND the $20 fee, AND the item.  Wonderful to know, that customers can just click one thing on their credit card menu, and "Poof" get their money back and keep item, "YAY"!  Is there anyway for a seller to report a customer for credit card fraud???  This effects ALL sellers, so it would be nice to have some recourse here.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why is Paypal and Ebay allowing customers to use credit card chargebacks to get items for free??

@missjen831 wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

Wouldn't the credit card company require a buyer to return the item to the seller for the chargeback to be successful ?

For the most part, the CC company just wants to see that the buyer attempted to return the item. 

Then failure on the part of the buyer to supply satisfactory documentation of an attempt to return the item, should result in a chage back not being approved until such an attempt is undertaken by the buyer ?

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: Why is Paypal and Ebay allowing customers to use credit card chargebacks to get items for free??

File mail fraud on her.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Credit cards are covered by the terms and conditions the card holder has agreed to in order to have the credit card.

No one else has any influence on the Card Company.  The Card Company is getting somewhere around 20% interest from the majority of their card holders. Why wouldn't they side with their card holder?

The Card Company has no reason or incentive to serve anyone else and they certainly don't owe  eBay or PayPal any quarter.

If someone has addressed this aspect in a previous post and I missed it, it's because I no longer read any posts that include "wrote" and go on to repeat the OP.  It's just too tedious.  I haven't forgotten the issue I'm addressing.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Wouldn't the credit card company require a buyer to return the item to the seller for the chargeback to be successful ?

The longstanding requirement has been that the buyer make a good faith effort to return - which includes requesting the seller to make return arrangements.  If the merchant refuses to make those arrangements, the chargeback can still be successful.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

You are covered, upload the tracking showing confirmed delivery to the confirmed address, i always call Paypal when this happens ( And it has ) they will hold onto your money for however long they want if you do not contact them and then more than likely charge you, the seller protection means exactly that, they fight this on your behalf, in the meantime release my money, if you lose the fight it is your cost Paypal not mine, that is what seller protection is when you have confirmed delivery to the confirmed address. Don't forget Paypal confirm the address themselves, get on the phone and quote their own seller protection policy.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:
You are covered, upload the tracking showing confirmed delivery to the confirmed address, i always call Paypal when this happens ( And it has ) they will hold onto your money for however long they want if you do not contact them and then more than likely charge you, the seller protection means exactly that, they fight this on your behalf, in the meantime release my money, if you lose the fight it is your cost Paypal not mine, that is what seller protection is when you have confirmed delivery to the confirmed address. Don't forget Paypal confirm the address themselves, get on the phone and quote their own seller protection policy.

No, NO, NO.

Did you read the thread? This is not an unauthorized chargeback with protection if you have tracking. This is a SNAD chargeback. There is ZERO protection for a SNAD chargeback. Paypal is OUT if the picture. They can only pass along information the seller provides. It is totally in the hands of the credit card company.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

For the most part, the CC company just wants to see that the buyer attempted to return the item. 

Then failure on the part of the buyer to supply satisfactory documentation of an attempt to return the item, should result in a chage back not being approved until such an attempt is undertaken by the buyer ?

Last time I filed one they told me it needed to be returned but required zero proof.  The consider simply making the item available for the seller to get as good enough anyhow 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 22 of 22
latest reply