cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay make it such a PITA to refund a buyer?

Ever since eBay put the policy where sellers are strictly from refunding buyers without the buyer opening a refund/return request it's been a complete PITA the rare times a buyer requests a refund.

I have a buyer that's been wanting a refund for almost a week and I keep telling him to open a return/refund request but he won't do it even after 5-10 back and forth messages. He finally said he can't find the option, we just passed the 60 day mark, is that why?

How do I refund a buyer without being suspended for life because that's what will happen if I refund and get an out of stock defect?

How does eBay think forbidding sellers from refunding buyers is a good idea? It's retarded.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

ebay does not forbid seller's refunding buyer.Go to pp find the payment use the refund link

If no refund limk use email in payment to use send money function

Buyers have 30 days from delivery to file cases on ebay

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Just go into paypal and refund them there.  Some wont do it through ebay for some reason.  Did they return the item?  Best regards

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@misfitfun wrote:

ebay does not forbid seller's refunding buyer.Go to pp find the payment use the refund link

Unless the policy changed recently, you're clearly unaware that eBay is very likely to suspend you for life for giving a single refund like that.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@lewisburggold wrote:

Just go into paypal and refund them there.  Some wont do it through ebay for some reason.  Did they return the item?  Best regards

Again, eBay give you an out of stock defect if you do that, and unless you have high sales volumes, a single out of stock defect gets you suspended for life unless the policy changed.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

@misfitfun wrote:

Unless the policy changed recently, you're clearly unaware that eBay is very likely to suspend you for life for giving a single refund like that.

@ccrrefills That has never been the policy here. 1 refund will not even given you a defect. 

The buyer only has 60 days to open a return request. That’s why he can’t open one now. Just issue the refund through PayPal. You won’t be suspended for life. and if you watch your dashboard, you won’t even see a defect for this.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

@lewisburggold wrote:

Again, eBay give you an out of stock defect if you do that, and unless you have high sales volumes, a single out of stock defect gets you suspended for life unless the policy changed.

If the buyer has communicated through the eBay message system about a refund, you can go ahead and make the refund without a defect.  If there is no communications in the ebay message system you have to go through the cancellation process.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

@lewisburggold wrote:

What ebays says and what eBay does are 2 different things. 1 defect will not affect you even if you are a casual seller. And as I just said above, you will probably NOT get a defect if you refund through PayPal. The buyer has contacted you through eBay messages to ask for a refund. Just reply back and tell him you are issuing a refund and why you are issuing it and you are good to go. No defect will be awarded.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I'm 99.9% sure I've gotten an out of stock defect in the past for refunding without getting a request first.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

I'm 99.9% sure I've gotten an out of stock defect in the past for refunding without getting a request first.

Yes you can if you do not have any communications through the eBay message system before hand.  eBay has told us that they review communications between buyer and seller when refunds happen. 

Just make sure you have been communicating through the eBay message system and you should be fine.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

If you are past 60 days why are you still trying to refund them?

BBL and move on, if your buyer doesn't care enought to figure it out why should you?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

So if you don't want to believe everyone else here, why don't you just put a few bucks in an envelope, send it to your seller, and be done with it?   If you think that's even too risky, spend a quarter for a money order.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

You're only restricted if you opted into Managed Payments.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Ebay does not always follow communications between buyer and seller in regards to refunds. I have two "defects" after canceling sales on the behest of the buyer because the widget broke in transit.  Not worth my time to call Ebay cuz it don't bother me to move back and forth between "top rated" and "above average" or whatever silly name the idiot bots bestow upon my seller status.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I have had people send things back without starting a return request. They just ship it back with no warning. In those cases when the item was received back, I went to PP and refunded the buyer but also called Ebay and told them what had happened so that my final value fees would be restored. If they have NOT sent the item back, and do not know how to do a return request, call Ebay and perhaps they can send instructions to the buyer on how to do it, and let them put a flag/note on your item so that you do not exceed the time frame for the refund to be issued. I would NOT refund a buyer until the item has come back.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply