cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Free shippers get noticed first? My sales are dying!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does Free shippers get noticed first? My sales are dying!

FREE SHIPPING, hahahaha, ANOTHER example of how Ebay dropped to its knees in the market, so fearful of the competition, WE ARE NOT AMAZON, or any other site that SAYS shipping is free.  Ship to Cali from the Midwest, FOR FREE??????  Might as well just give it away for free, AND what does ebay care, they still get their percentages, AND NOW books, media, CDs, DVDs .... at close to 15%, AND free shipping????  Yea, that sounds good. 

HERES MY TAKE ON IT - a seller who sells an item at 9.99 and ships for free, shipping is 6 bucks., they paid 3 dollas for the item they were selling and ebay is taking close to 15%, WELL, they wont be selling long for sure. when they are actually LOSING MONEY EVERY TRANSACTION.  Ebay did not protect the margins of their sellers, if WE DONT SELL, they dont make money, and people bought into this FREE SHIPPING CONSPIRACY.  If you have an item at 9.99, and change the price to 17.99 with free shipping, IT WONT SELL.   IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER, this rodeo is almost over, TONIGHT on the nightly news there was a story that the USPS will be reducing hours and CHARGING MORE MONEY, so, still want to ship for free??????

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Just remember nothing is free. If it shows free shipping, more times than not, the cost to ship is added to the purchase price.

People don't always comparison shop, thus not noticing that the price is the same, when totaled, to the item without free shipping. 

Try adding shipping to a few of your items and offer free shipping on them. See if that works for you. 

Best,

Grandma 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Why does Free shippers get noticed first? My sales are dying!

Because Amazon and other websites have conditioned online buyers to expect free shipping, and because eBay's research shows that it influences buyer behavior. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Most people are attracted to the free ship. This is especially important becuase people are now paying sales tax on everything. When the total comes up people will abandon a cart becuase of all the extra charge. Factor the shipping into the price and it will look better even if the price is not better. LOL!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Buyers expect something for free these days. If you have light items make your prices a little higher and offer free shipping. Say make all those toy vehicles the ones currently under $10 in your shop $12.95 each + free postage.  Your international Shipping of $19.95 is just to high for any overseas buyers. Try ebays International standard program rather than the GSP.  Many of your items only have one pic ebay likes you to have at least 6. Your shop landing ebay page needs a banner. You could try running some fake sales i.e raise your prices and run 15% off. Other than that try and add in a few more categories but avoid clothing.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

It's sucks cause I hardly see my stuff in the listing. I used to last year. It seems Ebay is hiding those without free shipping.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

It's sucks cause I hardly see my stuff in the listing. I used to last year. It seems Ebay is hiding those without free shipping.

When I search NASCAR 2020 RYAN BLANEY #12 1/64  under best match, your two items comes up as #4  and #5 out of 169 listings. 

When I search Alex Bowman all-star 1:64  under best match, your item comes up as #2 out of 11 listings. The one in front of you has the exact title, but is $2 cheaper. 

When I search Angry Birds Star Wars Character Encyclopedia  under best match, your item does not come up at all - but that seems to be because you mis-spelled "Angry" as "Angey".

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

FREE SHIPPING, hahahaha, ANOTHER example of how Ebay dropped to its knees in the market, so fearful of the competition, WE ARE NOT AMAZON, or any other site that SAYS shipping is free.  Ship to Cali from the Midwest, FOR FREE??????  Might as well just give it away for free, AND what does ebay care, they still get their percentages, AND NOW books, media, CDs, DVDs .... at close to 15%, AND free shipping????  Yea, that sounds good. 

HERES MY TAKE ON IT - a seller who sells an item at 9.99 and ships for free, shipping is 6 bucks., they paid 3 dollas for the item they were selling and ebay is taking close to 15%, WELL, they wont be selling long for sure. when they are actually LOSING MONEY EVERY TRANSACTION.  Ebay did not protect the margins of their sellers, if WE DONT SELL, they dont make money, and people bought into this FREE SHIPPING CONSPIRACY.  If you have an item at 9.99, and change the price to 17.99 with free shipping, IT WONT SELL.   IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER, this rodeo is almost over, TONIGHT on the nightly news there was a story that the USPS will be reducing hours and CHARGING MORE MONEY, so, still want to ship for free??????

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Offering free shipping doesn't cost the seller any more or less. You are actually taking things to the other extreme of the spectrum. If you are selling a single DVD and charging more than $3 shipping via media mail, then buyers are turned off by inflated shipping charges...If you search lowest + shipping and the exact item is either $9.99 free shipping or $4.99 w/ $4.99 1st class shipping, it is the same thing.   

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

You should heavily consider the free shipping concept. Not only because you noticed than others are making more sales from it, but your items are prime candidates for it too. Most of your stuff can be boxed and still kept under 4oz, so the shipping cost is locked in. I think with all of the odd ending numbers in your prices that you can actually RAISE the price and offer free shipping, and still catch all of the sales you are missing out on. For example, if you car is $12.65 + $3.85 shipping = $16.50, I think you can make it $16.99 w/ free shipping and still get the sale. There are many instances with your inventory that you can round up the change.

Free shipping encourages impulse buys and multiple quantity purchases, besides the search boost. The seller is not losing a nickel. In fact, the seller probably makes more flat out in the long run because all multiple purchases do not require a combined shipping refund.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

No I do t want to ship for free. But I'm wondering why ebay puts all free shipping ahead of all of us who charge shipping. Lost my top seller classification this morning. I do nothing different and used to sell anywhere from 1k to 4k a month on eBay.  It has just fallen off since this new dumbass president has come in and Ebay has changed something for people not to see.my listing. Just sucks! 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Plain and simple.

AMAZON

eBay believes that buyers expect free shipping because that's what they get elsewhere. 

eBay does not take into account sellers who sell things you can not buy on Amazon.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

As others have replied, eBay is not hiding your listings.  They are, in fact, fairly prominently displaced in a search.

"No I don't want to ship for free."

You may have misinterpreted the replies.  No one is telling you to eat the shipping cost.  Just roll it into the cost of your item.  An item you listed for $10w/$5 shipping? List it as $15 with F/S.  Why would you hesitate to do that? 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

One unrecognized advantage to offering "free shipping" is that you eliminate the dumber buyers who can't do the simple math of adding shipping to the price when comparison shopping.  That might eliminate a sales her ot there but it also eliminates a headache here or there.  But I doubt the shipping is the cause of any sales decline.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I used to do "Free" shipping. When I went to item price plus shipping cost, my sales went up almost 30%.

Free shipping is a myth I prefer not to perpetuate.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 16
latest reply