cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Ebay not stand behind their sellers?

I shipped an item on time.  It was lost by US Post Office.  Buyer contacted me, and I immediately refunded her, no questions asked.  She left me a negative feedback.  I called Ebay and they basically said "tuff", and would do nothing to help.  Previous to this I had a 100% feedback rating.  Ebay chose to not stand behind the seller (who has been with them 8 years and does over $200,000 a year with them)....can anyone tell me why?  I am so disgusted...I am spending today researching other sites to sell on.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Was this refund through a case? If not you may not be able to get the negative removed, but looking at your feedback profile, that 1 negative isn’t going to hurt you at all. It also doesn’t violate feedback policy, that’s why it was declined for removal.  If the feedback was given after you resolved your buyers issue through an INR case , then you could have the feedback removed without calling.

Request to Remove feedback
Don’t respond to it, that would call attention to it. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Your negative feedback got buried today and does not show up as one of your latest feedbacks, by the way.

eBay is having a big ol' problem with recent feedbacks given to sellers that started yesterday. Lucky for you.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They wont give a crap about sellers until there is a shortage of sellers.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@beautysmilesreba wrote:

I shipped an item on time.  It was lost by US Post Office.  Buyer contacted me, and I immediately refunded her, no questions asked.  She left me a negative feedback.  I called Ebay and they basically said "tuff", and would do nothing to help.  Previous to this I had a 100% feedback rating.  Ebay chose to not stand behind the seller (who has been with them 8 years and does over $200,000 a year with them)....can anyone tell me why?  I am so disgusted...I am spending today researching other sites to sell on.  

So by "stand behind the seller", you mean that when your buyer was disappointed at not receiving an item,, eBay should intervene and hide the fact that the buyer was unhappy? 

What good is feedback to other buyers if the seller gets to curate his own feedback and weed out the ones he does not like?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I don't see any negs.............

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I once got a negative feedback related to post office error.  

I wrote to the person asking why they didn't go on the USPS site

and feedback them? 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Under US consumer protection laws, the merchant is responsible for the safe delivery of the customer's purchase.

Does standing behind the seller mean funding a refund to a buyers whose shipment was lost due to poor labeling or packing by the seller?

Does Ebay have sellers who cannot package adequately? I have bought from some. I have had customers accuse me of being one. How would Ebay know.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

EBay largely ignores the seller side of things because they are under the illusion that the buyers are the key to their profits despite the fact that their revenues are generated by the FVF's, store subscriptions, PL etc. that the seller pays. They are also under the illusion that sellers are a dime a dozen and for everyone that leaves the platform another will take their place. 

It does not take a genius to figure out that both buyers and sellers are responsible for the success of the platform and their should be a better balance of protection between the two. Ironically a month could go by without a single sale taking place and eBay would still have revenues but would probably operate at a loss. I don't see any negative feedback but I do see several neutrals. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@beautysmilesreba wrote:

So by "stand behind the seller", you mean that when your buyer was disappointed at not receiving an item,, eBay should intervene and hide the fact that the buyer was unhappy? 

What good is feedback to other buyers if the seller gets to curate his own feedback and weed out the ones he does not like?

In this case the item was lost in the mail and the seller made the buyer whole again, as is correct, despite this not being their fault.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

In the past ebay has removed feedback for multiple reasons.  Threats, language, doxxing info, if the buyer resolved the problem according to ebays rules on handling certain situations.  Ebay used to be more apt to do so if a problem arose the seller had nothing to do with and no control over (ie carrier losing a package).

There are people on both sides of the transaction.  You cant just ignore unfairness to one side.  Ebay is quite lopsided on only caring about one side of it.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:
@beautysmilesreba wrote:

In this case the item was lost in the mail and the seller made the buyer whole again, as is correct, despite this not being their fault.

It would be easy for the seller to simply cordially respond to the feedback and simply state the item was lost in the mail and the buyer was immediately refunded. Shortly after file a claim with USPS for a lost package and USPS should make the seller whole again. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Well a sellers sales history is a good indicator.  Ebay has all that info.  And they do use that info when they want to.  Other times when it would helps sellers they have decided not to look at the sellers track record, even though that would be beneficial to the seller.

Bottom line, sellers who spend years working hard to maintain a high seller level account, do not just one day decide they are going to deliberately screw up an order, or start screwing buyers over.  To jeopardize their accounts that took years to build up, for a few orders and dollars...?  Almost never occurs.  And ebay would see any decline and immediately start downgrading them and issuing defects, and holding money, especially once buyers started filing order complaints.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply