cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my item get removed when others are able to still sell the same thing?

I received a violation notification and my item was removed but yet others are still selling the exact same thing. It was a tactical pen with window breaker tip. 
I’m still learning the ways but curious as to who decides what and why it’s not across the board. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Maybe the words in your listing were more likely to trigger an enforcement bot. Maybe the bot has not reached the other listings.

This site is sufficiently large that nothing can be done instantly.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It is not a "who" that decides, it is an "it".

These listing takedowns are done by bot. No human intervention. 

Your listing could have been reported by multiple members or a member with many accounts.

There perhaps was something in your Title, Item Specifics or Description that triggered the takedown.

Just don't keep relisting the item or they will take down your account completely.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You were just unlucky and were noticed by the ebay bots. Do not try to relist it or you could lose your right to selling. You do not want that to happen. They are watching you now. Once your on their radar they will be checking your listings. Happy selling.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The fact that your listing had been flagged means that you do NOT want to try and relist it...it doesn't matter if other sellers are still able to have the same item listed... it's the fact that YOUR listing is the one that got flagged.

I know that it's not fair, however, if you try to relist it, the consequences can escalate up to and including being permanently banned from selling on this site and once they ban you, they almost never reverse that decision.

Just don't relist it, it's just not worth it.

Good luck on selling here

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi and welcome!

eBay has written policies to direct seller activity. It’s all stated upfront, so the rules are not arbitrary, even if its enforcement can be. With a billion listings a day, some fall through the cracks. However, whatever you do, don’t relist a removed item. You are on their radar now and must be extra careful.

In fact, your listing for the stun gun is currently violating eBay’s weapons policy. You need a disclaimer in the Description field. See link below.

Wish you all the best in your sales!

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/weapons-policy?id=5050

“Stun guns may be listed as long as the seller states they won't allow purchases from places where stun guns are illegal…”

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your guidance and input! 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Window breaker tip ....... is that considered a burglary tool?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mon84901 

There are lots of things listed on eBay that are not allowed.  Just because others are listing prohibited items, doesn't make it right.  They just haven't been caught...yet.  My suggestion is like many of the others that replied here,  DON'T relist it.  You're a new seller and have already been tagged for violating policies. eBay will be watching you.  Do the right thing.  

Happy Selling

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I just went through this same issue, apparently my listing was removed due to a random account sampling and not reporting. So your item was probably removed because they targeted your account not that item and no one probably reported it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I had a similar issue selling an item and see hundreds of similar listings. I reached out to ebay for business on facebook, and it seems that the item is not allowed to be sold to England. They told me to remove that shipping option and it would be okay, so I did just that. Just last week, I see it is flagged once again. Reached out to them again via fb and they told me to establish a business account and list it again and omit international sales as a destination. I haven't done it yet so I can't give you any update on that, but maybe you should try to reach out to ebay for business on facebook, insta or twitter and see if they can tell you exactly what the problem is. It might be a quick fix.

Good luck to you. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply