cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can i not all of a sudden open an unpaid item case?

Why am I not able to open an unpaid item case? Buyer will not respond, eBay no longer allowing sellers to open a case for nonpayment? Are non-paying buyers not being penalized any longer? What is going on? If I cancel the auction am I as the seller penalized? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

If the buyer hasn't paid by day 5, cancel the transaction for non payment. No penalty for you and the buyer gets a Strike.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Take a look at the 2021 Spring Seller Update. It explains the improvements to how Ebay handles unpaid items.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Oh, ok, thank you.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Ok, sounds good, but is there a prompt which specifically says "cancel due to non-payment?"

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@donna*tena wrote:

Ok, sounds good, but is there a prompt which specifically says "cancel due to non-payment?"

(Starting in early April 2021)

"How to use the new cancel function

There is no action required from you to take advantage of this new function. If a buyer hasn’t paid after 5 calendar days, we’ll prompt you to cancel the transaction using the “Buyer hasn't paid” reason in Seller Hub or My eBay Sold.

If you attempt to file an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center after this update takes effect, you’ll automatically be redirected to Seller Hub to cancel the transaction directly using the “Buyer hasn't paid” reason.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2021-spring/business.html

---------------
Posting ID only
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Apparently we can now set our Seller Preferences to automatically open an Unpaid Item case (not a  Dispute any more) after Day Four.

It's not clear to me how long the deadbeat/slowpayer has to pay up before she loses the case and gets a Strike. We then get our FVF refunded.

This should not prevent sellers from manually opening UIDs, if the full 48 hours have passed. US sellers could open UIDs after 48hrs, but this may have changed too.

There is still a lot to learn about this new system of dispute reconciliation.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for clearing this issue up, greatly appreciated!

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for the information.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Apparently we can now set our Seller Preferences to automatically open an Unpaid Item case (not a  Dispute any more) after Day Four.

It's not clear to me how long the deadbeat/slowpayer has to pay up before she loses the case and gets a Strike. We then get our FVF refunded.

This should not prevent sellers from manually opening UIDs, if the full 48 hours have passed. US sellers could open UIDs after 48hrs, but this may have changed too.

You misunderstood the new procedure. You can set your preferences to automatically CLOSE the nonpayment case after the fourth day. The clock starts running as soon as the listing ends. You no longer open a case.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Thank you I will keep that in mind.

New procedures, new questions.

Hmm- what happens with sellers who are happy to allow (known and trusted) buyers a longer payment period. For example, when an auction has sold to a buyer who then bids in a second auction that will close in seven days?

I understand that the seller can leave the UID unclosed, but that leaves the customer in the uncomfortable position of having an open UID which could upset his relationship with the seller.

The good part is that this protects new sellers who are unsure how to deal with an unpaid transaction.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Hmm- what happens with sellers who are happy to allow (known and trusted) buyers a longer payment period. For example, when an auction has sold to a buyer who then bids in a second auction that will close in seven days?

I understand that the seller can leave the UID unclosed, but that leaves the customer in the uncomfortable position of having an open UID which could upset his relationship with the seller.

The good part is that this protects new sellers who are unsure how to deal with an unpaid transaction.

I think ebay will offer that option to a seller to cancel after 5 days, but the seller actually has up to 30 days to cancel, unless the seller has the cancel on automatic.

---------------
Posting ID only
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Correct. The default setting is for sellers to cancel transactions manually after four days. Sellers can set their preferences to cancel automatically, relist, get credited for fees, etc.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The buyer has four days to pay, as you stated in your opening sentence. Sellers can cancel on day five. That's it--the buyer can't pay after that, so, to clarify, a buyer gets four days "to pay up before she loses the case and gets a Strike." Then the transaction is cancelled. End of story.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

No, sellers can no longer open UIDs after 48 hours. That's all gone. It's been replaced by the new process.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It's really all spelled out clearly and concisely on this page:

Resolving unpaid items with buyers 

@donna*tena 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Read the eBay help page on the new process. It will answer those questions.

Resolving unpaid items with buyers 

tip.PNG

And from this page:  Preferences for items awaiting payment 

Exclude.PNG

This new procedure was implemented in April. It's now September. It's really a good idea to keep up with these changes in order to run an eBay business smoothly, as well as to be responding to questions about this or any other policy on the discussion boards.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Thank you, very clear and precise, clear up everything!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply