cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are only some sellers' handling times displayed?

It seems like this has been my experience the whole time I've been here, and I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it.  Handling time: Some sellers, you can't find it anywhere, only the estimated delivery date.  Others, you can find it if you click on the details link in the shipping section.  Others, it's right on the shipping section, like this:
Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 11.46.02 PM.png
So is there any reason why there's such a mixed capability to see this?  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I haven't not seen it. So idk. Imma check some listings. If it's within normal range I'd expect its okay to be buried. A 5 day handling should be brought up front and center.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Handling time: Some sellers, you can't find it anywhere, only the estimated delivery date. 

@gurlcat 

The handling time can be found for fixed price listings by using the "see details" link on the listing page on the line that is titled SHIPPING. 

It will state something like "seller ships in three business days" on that second page.  

For auction listings, that is omitted and replaced by the phrase:

Estimated delivery dates - include seller's handling time, origin ZIP Code, destination ZIP Code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods. 

No specific number of days is provided for auctions. 

For the screenshot that you are showing, that is the typical display if the seller has an 'extended' handling time of five days or more. 

Why the difference?  It is eBay, and they do what they want.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@gurlcat 

Just was questioning this myself. Some items show exactly what handling time is when you check out an item and others it seems hidden if shown at all. Why the inconsistency?

Purchased an item on offer sent by seller. I’d looked through his listings before purchase (on app) and for some reason when checking their handling time, it was buried under many sponsored items, then it can be found only if you click shipping, returns and payments then actually READ, which unfortunately many buyers do not take the time to do.

The above is important information for many buyers, as is a description. I’m not shocked that buyers open returns, because it’s not necessarily easy to shop on eBay or locate pertinent information unless you’ve been around for a minute and actually know where to “maybe” find that info … and once you think you know, they change it! 😂

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Your post was answered in full by @ittybitnot with correct info @gurlcat . Mark that post the "best answer". 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It is likely showing the way you are seeing it because of the number of days that seller has as their handling time.  Ebay likely wants to make sure that the buyers see the extended amount of days for the handling.

Any seller that has 5+ days handling Ebay lowers them in the search returns.  

All seller's handling times can be seen when the buyer clicks on "See Details" that appears after how the item ships and after the return policy.

37.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

All seller's handling times can be seen when the buyer clicks on "See Details"

@mam98031 

That only works for me with FIXED PRICE listings, not for auctions.  What browser do you use?  Maybe my view is a function of using Chrome. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

All seller's handling times can be seen when the buyer clicks on "See Details"

@mam98031 

That only works for me with FIXED PRICE listings, not for auctions.  What browser do you use?  Maybe my view is a function of using Chrome. 

I use a desktop and Chrome.  I did not however think to check auctions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

That only works for me with FIXED PRICE listings, not for auctions.

Correct. Auctions do not show handling time (but in my opinion they should). Browser does not matter. I think it was you and I @ittybitnot who puzzled it out together a couple years ago. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

It is likely showing the way you are seeing it because of the number of days that seller has as their handling time.  Ebay likely wants to make sure that the buyers see the extended amount of days for the handling.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen the handling time visible unless it's 5 business days or more.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply