cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Have my Sales dropped 14% all of the sudden since start of the year?

I have talked to several Reps and they claim they have been getting this type of call from alot of sellers. I have been with EBAY 8 years. I have been a consistent seller. All of the sudden sales have dropped off 14%. I have been told they have seen this and their maybe several glitches that should be worked out in the next couple of months. I have just started to update my ad rate fee from 6% to 8% to get my great items more visibility. Am I missing something? I have been very steady for years. Now this? any help is appreciated. I am all ears.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

There's no glitch that I know of, people just aren't buying like they used to. 

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

I dunno if you've heard this before.  It's been in the news.

Our economy is in trouble. 

Inflation, unemployment, etc.

https://www.businessinsider.com/stores-closing-in-2023-list?op=1

Bigger businesses than yours are suffering too.  WalMart, Rite Aid, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bananna Republic.   Banks are closing branches across the nation.  

They don't have the answer to your question (otherwise they wouldn't be closing stores).  And, the 'answer' that I would give would be much too political to be accepted here.  Most here have their heads in the sand and don't want an answer. 

What to do?   One at a time my friend.  We're all in the same sinking boat.  My feet are starting to get wet too, and like everyone else I'm looking for a life vest.  It is scary.  

In future, I would suggest voting smarter.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

You can change your ad rate to 100%, if people don't have the extra money to spend on wants, it isn't going to matter.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 43
latest reply

I appreciate your candid answer. Just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to maximize my efforts to sell my items. 2024 is off to a rough start. Just need to keep listing and ride it out for now!! Thank you. Much appreciated!!!

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Way things are looking, it might be a long, boring ride.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Because 14% less people are buying your stuff.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

You called eBay support reps because your sales are down 14%?

That just seems odd to me.

No one here can tell you why your sales are down. Decreased traffic, decreased buying activity, increased competition, undesirable goods in times of economy difficulty. Really can't tell you.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

You called eBay support reps because your sales are down 14%?

That just seems odd to me.

No one here can tell you why your sales are down. Decreased traffic, decreased buying activity, increased competition, undesirable goods in times of economy difficulty. Really can't tell you.

You'd be amazed at how many sellers will call CS wanting to know why no one is buying their items.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Economy shloconomee,  most retailers exceed expectations in Q4 by quite some measure.  There are literally now 10 million jobs open and the Trades are lacking very seriously.  Was just reported on scant days ago.  If you want an attorney or an advertising manager or a social media guru, you can make a call within 24 hours be hooked up.  However, if you need you're plumbing in you're house replaced plan on six to eight weeks out.

Here's this years reality:

1.  Come summer many folks are going to do what they did last summer, enjoy, travel, eat out enjoy life.

2.  Retailers this year online and off are going to be ultra aggressive to grab consumer spending because of #3.

3. Economic politics of fear which is going to cause millions atop millions atop millions of American's to be very budget conscious and shop for bargains which #2 will be supplying.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

I won't disagree with the previous posters on this thread.

But I think you are suffering from another problem which is related to inflation.

Your shipping costs for posters are a killer, and I do not believe you are gouging.

The lower priced posters you are offering are too expensive for many buyers given the cost of shipping.

The USPS length surcharge is having a dramatic effect on buyers who make a purchase decision on the total cost of the item, price + shipping + tax and I think the total is now too high to justify the purchases,

The bigger ticket items probably turned slowly but the lower priced items are getting killed.

I have been tracking a lot of posters of different types on Invaluable and LiveAuctioneers because I have some inventory I need to clear. The number of passed lots is way, way up. Even from auctioneers who have had the right following.

I am not your competitor and do not sell the entertainment posters you sell, but I think the problem is common.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@chariot_badges   PLEASE unless you are a trained economist with your fingers on the pulse of the world at a moments notice,  knock this doom and gloom off. This topic is not permitted on these forums. It is a better place when personal opinions stay off this page.

I have had the best 30 days in the last 12 months. People are spending money, but  did you ever think it might be your feedback. As a buyer I see 97%, and that number will put people off.  Additionally your responses to the negative and neutral feedback is really nasty. Also 14% is nothing and that can happened  for many reasons ..

Jobs are available, people are spending money, the sun is shining , we just got a new roof on our house…oh the 5 guys who were up there every day for a week didn’t speak English..but they are the only ones who will do that hard work.

@dtelles11  sorry I got on a rant there. I really would not be concerned, as you sell collectibles and personally I think that is more of a discretionary purchase. 

Hope things get better. Also if it were 40% you might have reason to be concerned, but 14% is nothing. Good Luck!

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

I won't disagree with the previous posters on this thread.

But I think you are suffering from another problem which is related to inflation.

Your shipping costs for posters are a killer, and I do not believe you are gouging.

The lower priced posters you are offering are too expensive for many buyers given the cost of shipping.

The USPS length surcharge is having a dramatic effect on buyers who make a purchase decision on the total cost of the item, price + shipping + tax and I think the total is now too high to justify the purchases,

The bigger ticket items probably turned slowly but the lower priced items are getting killed.

I have been tracking a lot of posters of different types on Invaluable and LiveAuctioneers because I have some inventory I need to clear. The number of passed lots is way, way up. Even from auctioneers who have had the right following.

I am not your competitor and do not sell the entertainment posters you sell, but I think the problem is common.

Yes my post was speaking generally not privately what a cool major military quip! 🤣

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

I think you are on to something with your response.  My hunch was the discretionary purchase might be the challenge. I had been very steady for some times. I have been doing this for eight years. Just looking for guidance and not someone being critical. Thank you. And yes unless you are a trained economist, I don't need  your feedback. Thanks. Will just keep listing daily. focus on the positive and not the negative. Thank you for the honest feedback. With 39K in feedback. I take your word over the negative nelly's. Much appreciated!!

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@chariot_badges   PLEASE unless you are a trained economist with your fingers on the pulse of the world at a moments notice,  knock this doom and gloom off. This topic is not permitted on these forums. It is a better place when personal opinions stay off this page.

I have had the best 30 days in the last 12 months. People are spending money, but  did you ever think it might be your feedback. As a buyer I see 97%, and that number will put people off.  Additionally your responses to the negative and neutral feedback is really nasty. Also 14% is nothing and that can happened  for many reasons ..

Yup, 98% Feedback seems be the area of folks not bothering to look.  Anything under that most will apparently peek and if they see nasty pants wording that's an instant "I'll shop elsewhere."

Jobs are available, people are spending money, the sun is shining , we just got a new roof on our house…oh the 5 guys who were up there every day for a week didn’t speak English..but they are the only ones who will do that hard work.

Yep but not gonna convince America that we actually need mass immigration.  Everytime America has had a great deal of immigration the country just booms!  Canada, Germany and handfuls of W. European nations are increasing immigration in big fashion by choice. South America is big subject as China is attempting to buy the continent which is resource rich and is not going remain Third World at all. China wants Cartels rule the roost w/o directly funding them which would be act of war.  So instead they are heavily investing in S. America and supplying the raw materials for manufactured drugs and that money goes to the Cartels.  Not hard to figure out if one stays abreast of International news for the last 10 years.  South America is the "Check Mate" in this hemisphere and immigrants are coming here to create a better life here and there but doesnt happen overnight.

@dtelles11  sorry I got on a rant there. I really would not be concerned, as you sell collectibles and personally I think that is more of a discretionary purchase. 

Hope things get better. Also if it were 40% you might have reason to be concerned, but 14% is nothing. Good Luck!

Sales definitely wax and wane and the data people look at on "Overview" is essentially a very poor indicator of reality.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply