cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is right? USPS tracking or eBay shipping information?

I am a buyer with a bit of a different problem.  eBay claims my item has been shipped, however, when I click on 'track package' it says that only a shipping label was created on Aug 9, at 7:25 pm, but that USPS has not received the package.   It said this yesterday, so contacted the seller who reassured me she took package to post office.   I check on the status again this evening(Aug 11) going to the USPS tracking site to find the same details....only a label created and no receipt of the package...still waiting.   The site suggests to contact the shipper, so again I have messaged the seller. 

This is not a case of me trying to claim that I have not received my widget when it has been delivered.  So, what is the action that should take place now that USPS is claiming they have not received the package and seller claims to have taken the package to the PO?    Another question, is how does eBay determine whether a package has indeed been shipped or not? 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Who is right? USPS tracking or eBay shipping information?

When a seller buys a label from Ebay or adds a tracking number and marks the order shipped, Ebay says it is shipped.

Until it is scanned, USPS does not have the package and does not take any responsibility if it is insured and lost.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

It's a Sad but Constant Problem we have with USPS. at least once a week sometimes More and Having to explain to the buyer that the items were shipped that following day puts you in a position of trying to convince them Your not lying and that USPS is just not doing their job. the amazing thing is in 98 percent of the time the item gets delivered then incredibly all the tracking seems to get posted . But what's worse is once a case is filed by the Buyer against the seller for nonreceipt it's up to the clock. if it's not resolved in the Short amount of time eBay allows to resolve the complaint its automatically ruled in the buyer's favor against the seller for a issue that the Seller did not cause. I can not count on my hands the amount of times the items end up delivered and only once or twice has the buyer actually contacted us and offered to pay us And when we call or visit USPS  they tell us the information that we can see is the same information they can see. So its obviously a glitch in their tracking system. You can see both sides of the issue here since no one but the seller knows whether the items was truly sent eBay has to rule in the favor of the buyer. wish eBay would set up a system of placing the funds into a escrow account for a reasonable period to prevent eh Seller from losing their funds for a problem of USPS 

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

A seller's best defense against INR's when they know they shipped the package but the carrier is fumbling it is this: keep an eye on all your recent shipments that haven't been delivered yet (takes only a few minutes to check each day).  Any that have gotten no scans for more than 3 days or so .... reach out to the buyer before they reach out to you, and just let them know you're watching with them, that you've noticed the pause in their tracking, express empathy that they're having to wait longer than expected, but reassure them that it's not terribly unusual and you'll continue to watch and file a missing package case if necessary.  

I think a lot of sellers either don't even bother checking their tracking once they've done "their job" of buying and attaching the label and giving it over to the carrier, OR they do watch but think it's a better idea not to contact the buyer because that might just draw attention to the issue, when they might not have even thought about it before.  If you think that, think again.  I couldn't guess how many times my buyers have replied "Thank you so much, I was wondering what was going on."  And I have never had one file an INR on me, not even in the fall/winter of 2020 when the MAJORITY of packages were moving slowly and strangely, and tons of sellers were even closing their stores until it straightened out, because they couldn't afford all the refunds they were having to give out, and all the negs they were getting in feedback. 

Simply put: Never forget your people while you have their money and they have nothing in return.  If you do, they will show you how easily they can get Ebay to take their side, and all the pouting and raging about it not being fair won't matter.  Get your people to feel like you're on their side, and do it EARLY, BEFORE they get worried and frustrated.  

Message 33 of 33
latest reply