cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is leaving eBay rather than give them access to their bank account?

This latest move by eBay is the last straw for me. Based on past interactions with eBay I will never give them access to my bank account.  I sell very little on eBay these days as I have found that between CL and FB Marketplace I can find a home for nearly anything I want to sell, get paid in cash and not have to ship anything. I know that there are categories, such as collectibles, where eBay offers a unique marketplace, but for me the site has become an expensive pain in the butt.

Then there are the ever escalating final value fees. I was outraged when eBay started charging a final value fee on shipping and now they are charging it on sales tax! I'm not sure that is legal. The biggest change over time has been the increase in the point at which the fees decrease. Now to sell an item worth a couple thousand dollars that costs $200 to ship and sales tax of 8% I would pay nearly 15% of my item's sale price.

eBay has hit the limits of its growth and sadly the only way for them to increase revenues will be to keep on jacking up the cost of selling.  Oh well, there are a growing number of other options.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

About as many as have posted the same exact topic, which is a lot...

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

As much as I detest the MP- don't believe for one second that eBay didn't have some access to your bank account before.

If you had a PP account, connected to a bank account (and doesn't everyone?) eBay would overdraw your PP and they would access that money from your bank or CC.

I don't appreciate being forced into MP but it is what it is.. We gotta roll with it or bounce outta here.

I don't see any other option. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Except if, just for giggles and to waste some time, you go back and look at older threads, you'll find that many of them are still here, still selling, now on MPs, despite all their rants and raves, all their drama and declarations, all their pouts and profanities.    😄

=

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Although many of us have our reasons for not accepting the new terms of use for selling on eBay, it matters not what those reasons & it matters not how many leave> sellers come, sellers go...we are just a commodity, an expendable commodity to eBay so it matters not to the eBay Corp. The percentages of sellers/buyers leaving/no longer purchasing on eBay would have to be astronomical to make any dent in the monetary loss to eBay.

As fees rise and/or sales dramatically decrease, sellers will get the true picture as to the value of maintaining their presence on this site.

Sellers make THEIR choice and that's the choice they contend with going forward.

However, I must admit I much prefer the site I am on now, where I can still use PayPal for processing payments, plus my FVFs on my other site are 1/4-1/3  of those on eBay...

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@wile*coyote*super*genius wrote:

This latest move by eBay is the last straw for me. Based on past interactions with eBay I will never give them access to my bank account.  I sell very little on eBay these days as I have found that between CL and FB Marketplace I can find a home for nearly anything I want to sell, get paid in cash and not have to ship anything. I know that there are categories, such as collectibles, where eBay offers a unique marketplace, but for me the site has become an expensive pain in the butt.

Then there are the ever escalating final value fees. I was outraged when eBay started charging a final value fee on shipping and now they are charging it on sales tax! I'm not sure that is legal. The biggest change over time has been the increase in the point at which the fees decrease. Now to sell an item worth a couple thousand dollars that costs $200 to ship and sales tax of 8% I would pay nearly 15% of my item's sale price.

eBay has hit the limits of its growth and sadly the only way for them to increase revenues will be to keep on jacking up the cost of selling.  Oh well, there are a growing number of other options.

5xudyg.gif

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

They don't want "access to your bank account".  The need  bank account to deposit YOUR money in to.  Big difference.  

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Except if, just for giggles and to waste some time, you go back and look at older threads, you'll find that many of them are still here, still selling, now on MPs, despite all their rants and raves, all their drama and declarations, all their pouts and profanities.    😄

=

👍

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxine*j wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

=

@maxine*j HAHA...so true. Take my ball and go home, except the ball is stuck in a tree.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I have found that between CL and FB Marketplace I can find a home for nearly anything I want to sell, get paid in cash and not have to ship anything

Would you be willing to share how you do this "safely"?  We have thought about those 2 sites, but I am not comfortable having anyone have my cell number, home address, meeting at my house.  DS does some of that and they text each other and meet up and do the deal - (I won't let him do it at our home).

Concerns me - there are so many crazy people and on the news, you hear about people robbing you on these transactions.  

Happy for you it is working - just curious what safe guard parameters you have in place to make it viable.  (if you're not comfortable sharing that, I understand.  It is just a huge roadblock for me)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Ebay is now taking the fee that we have to pay for a store out of the bank accounts now.  They used to charge it to the credit card on file.  This way they avoid the fee charged by the company who processes the credit card payments.  I for one am not very happy about this change and will discontinue my store when the term is up.   I will just list what I can for free after that and pay Ebay much higher FVF's than give them the right to TAKE money out of my bank account.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Actually, there is a work-around - we have done it the last 2 months.  E-Bay sends us an email telling us the amount that is due and the approx date it will be due.  In the same email, it tells you that you can do a 1-time payment to pay that amount now.  So we do - on our CC, just like we used to.  Nothing additional comes out of bank account.  So far, only ACHs in.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@gmcblue wrote:

Ebay is now taking the fee that we have to pay for a store out of the bank accounts now.  They used to charge it to the credit card on file.  This way they avoid the fee charged by the company who processes the credit card payments.  I for one am not very happy about this change and will discontinue my store when the term is up.   I will just list what I can for free after that and pay Ebay much higher FVF's than give them the right to TAKE money out of my bank account.  

My store fees come out of my pending payments, NOT my bank account.  They have taken nothing from my account.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Honestly it's really not as bad as people think.  I had to switch over last year and at first I was upset but then I saw how seamless it was and now it's just a thing.  Actually you can really "set it and forget it" when it comes to transfers. 

Just do it and get on with selling. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I think eBay could of done a much better job of explaining how to safely prepare for using MP (like getting a separate checking account and debit card) so eBay sellers would of been better assured they weren't going to lose their retirement accounts if they signed up!

Instead the eBay chatter on the boards and eBay announcements were kind of scary.  Plus the small print seemed very intimidating.

It wasn't very well handled in regard to how people perceived MP and if you're eBay trying to change the tide, seems like the communication could of been a lot better!  eBay only has itself to blame if sellers are leaving.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply