cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who doesn't think that sales tax ...

is having a considerable effect on eBay sales? Is that additional 5-10% making a difference?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Who doesn't think that sales tax ...

Okay, so it's been a year. Any fee / shipping / sales tax viability erosion to report?

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

So do you think a combination of the eBay final value and money processing fee, the ever-increasing cost of shipping, and sales tax are eroding the viability of the site?

@tools* 

I don't think so. But I tend to shop here for things that you can't find locally... or hardly find (anymore) anywhere.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Me.

I don't think that customers having to pay sales tax has a considerable effect on ebay sales.

If people want the item and are willing to pay your asking price plus shipping,

I don't think them having to pay tax if effecting/hurting sales.

They would pay the same tax if they were shopping on amazon or walking in to a local business.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Personally, I've found buyers to be *extremely* sensitive to the sales tax they get levied on here.  This is to the point that I've gotten offers for pennies off (not significant discounts) of some of my items, where when the tax is added the total purchase price is what I asked for it.

So yes, sales tax getting levied on ebay has a considerable effect on sales.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I have never ever found an item i'm looking for on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) where I  didn't go through with the purchase  because i had to pay sales tax.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

So yes, sales tax getting levied on ebay has a considerable effect on sales.

@2013grotz 

I admit that it was fun to avoid sales tax (nearly a 10% discount!) while shopping online... I did buy more stuff here then. So... I suppose that since I buy my 'everyday' stuff locally now, it's affected online sales overall, but not just on eBay.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I don't think so. But I tend to shop here for things that you can't find locally... or hardly find (anymore) anywhere.

Exactly. There's zero reason to be shopping on eBay for something you can just go to the store and buy unless there's a significant price difference.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Wonder why they're not using a freight forwarder in Oregon.  

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

So you apparently live in a state where there is state sales tax on food at the grocery store?  

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

As mentioned previously, there are 5 states which do not have a state sales tax. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

So you apparently live in a state where there is state sales tax on food at the grocery store?  

I live in a state where there is (a bit lesser) state sales tax on food at the grocery.😐 But we have no state income tax.😊

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Of course it does.

Part of the problem is that many Americans only speak English, and one fault of English is with the word "free". When the founders of the internet said "The Internet should be FREE." I'm pretty sure they meant  free as in the French word ''libre" - not a slave or subject to close supervision.

But many people (selfishly) think it meant "gratuit" without charge.

And so the problems  faced by musicians, whose music is all over YouTube with miniscule payment, journalists whose research and writing is reprinted without authorization or payment, and here on eBay sellers whose pictures and descriptions are copies without attribution.

It's basically what the current writer's strike is about.

But if the choice is a $20 item found online with $5 shipping and no tax

or a $20 item found online with free/no shipping and $2 tax

or a local item at $20 with $2 tax, no shipping, and immediate possession,

which way will the shopper go?

On the other hand, if we are selling something hard to find, even unique, sales tax and shipping costs will be of much less importance.

So I can see that new cell phones, new car parts , recently published books, anything mass produced really would be harder to sell.

But  refurbished or "for parts" phones, vintage car parts, out of print books, or any vintage to antique item would still find a market.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply