cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to refund when USPS loses $200 dollar insured package?

I recently mailed a 14K gold watch to a man in california and the package has not arrived. It was picked up and scanned the day I put it in the mailbox. The post master says rural carrier remembered picking up and scanning package and says he left in the box at the main post office where rural carriers drop off their mail. No other tracking is assocaited with this package only the intial pick-up. There is always a computer generated scan that says "package left post office" later that evening and usally another scan in at least one or two of the sorting centers in Nashville but nothing. This part time carrier has in the past scanned incoming package and left it in a different mailbox. I only got when I told neighbors USPS was making me file a mail box theif report with local police did neighbor say "oh, is this the package? I opened it before looking at and realized it was not mine. She had for over a week! Then he picked up an out going package on a Saturday and his car broke down and he did not drop off his mail until the following tuesday evening right before midnight as tracking shows because he never scanned it at pick-up. Monday was a holiday. Blew my top-rated powerseller discount as it went over three percent. (different ID). He never scanned 12 packages on day and all arrived late which took me to the edge and this one took me over.

Back to the original issue of recent; again another saturday pick-up. Picky repeat customer always emailing have you mailed it and where is it? ect. So I check and only the pick-up scan; so I contact post master who investigates but before I talk to him again; same carrier fills in on a weekday and leaves me a veterans medications in my box so I call post office and say I am coming to bring drugs back when he shows up in my driveway wanting drugs. I say I am taking it to the post office and ask he about my package from Saturday and ask has he spoken to his supervisor and he says "I do not know where your gold watch is; I dropped it off at the office at the end of the day with my other packages. When I get to post office and sit down with post master; he tells me he never told him what was in the package. Customer is damanding his 200 dollars back. What do I do? Luckly I paid for full coverage of item with USPS insurance. Should I report this to Postal Inspector office? I have pages of emails of dealing with the seller and buyer of previous incidents with this carrier detailing everything I talked about above. This is the first package the USPS has ever lost in 18 years of selling on eBay. Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I would wait as long as possible.

Packages have a way of showing up once you refund a buyers money.

How did the carrier know the package had a gold watch? Did you tell the carrier what was in the package?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks. Post master, whos is new to position and does not know about previous problems before yesterday, states he did not mention the nature of the contents but he does not know if the rural carrier supervisor who I initialed complained to revealed the contents to the carrier. I explained I did not give the drugs back because I wanted to prove this guy has a pattern of not knowing what he is doing. It is not rocket science! My mailbox is on same board as two other mailboxs and they have children who are always getting the mail. What if he did not remember his mistake and how many times has he done this and not remembered. Mine incoming was for sure and eBay was not going to give me my buyer protection because he scanned it as delivered. I would say this vet would of not got his drugs because he scanned it as delievered when he left in my box yesterday and the neighbor lives ten mailboxs away from my house!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You know there is a history of misdeliveries and missing packages so why would YOU take a chance?

Get a scan when you hand your packages over the counter to the clerk.

Driving to the post office is obviously an option for you since you delivered the veteran's meds to the post office.  Actually, you had no right to take that package from your neighbor and do anything with it!

I don't see a watch in your sold listings.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Re: When to refund when USPS loses $200 dollar insured package?
in reply to 04-14-2017 07:53:07 AM

Last Edited 04-14-2017 07:55:15 AM

You know there is a history of misdeliveries and missing packages so why would YOU take a chance?

Get a scan when you hand your packages over the counter to the clerk.

Driving to the post office is obviously an option for you since you delivered the veteran's meds to the post office.  Actually, you had no right to take that package from your neighbor and do anything with it!

OP DID NOT TAKE A PACKAGE FROM HIS NEIGHBOR! IT WAS DELIEVERED WRONGLY TO HIS MAILBOX BUT A  CARRIER HE HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH. READ THE STORY!!!!!!!THE OP IMPLYIED THE POST CARRIER CAME BACK TO GET THE WRONGLY DELIEVERED DRUGS AFTER HE CALLED HIS SUPERVISIOR AND SAID HE WAS BRINGGING THE DRUGS TO THE POST OFFICE! HOW WOULD HIS NEIGHBOR WHO WAS TEN HOUSE DOWN EVEN OF KNOWN OP HAD HIS DRUGS?  FOR YOUR INFORMATION, EBAY REMOVES ITEMS WHEN THERE IS A CASE SO MAYBE THAT IS WHY YOU COULD NOT FIND IT. LOL

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

OP, what you do is go back in and tell the postmaster that the package is lost, there is no scan and you need to be filing an insurance claim on it.  Even if you did not buy extra insurance, the PO supplies a limited amount on packages.  Since the PO hates to lose money, they will start finding that package.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The problem is the time a claim can be filed and the possibility of the package showing up. Like a previous poster stated stall for time. Ask the buyer to be patient, they will get thier product or a refund. The post office is not going to refund in a day, tahts for sure. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@junkdrawerstodiefor wrote:
"I do not know where your gold watch is; I dropped it off at the office at the end of the day with my other packages.

How did the carrier know what was in the package?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

How did he know what was in the package. Either the supervisior I called told him or he stole it and opened it and knew it was a gold watch. Either could of happened but the post master said he had not told him what the contents were but that his supervisor could of.

Anyway, to complete the story. The watch never showed up and my insurance claim took less than 24 hours to be approved and I got my money back and my repeat buyer believed me and left me positive feedback. You will not find it because the whole thing happened under my top-rated powerseller ID. 

I am the type of Jew who does not have to pray for justice, it just happens. And Karma got him good, the part time carrier who I think stole my customers watch, and who has delievered my incoming packages to others on his route and who left a veterans drugs in my mailbox. Drugs he would of never got had I not complained, was honest and took to post office so post master could hear my issues in person. The office is 15 miles away from my house so no I am not going there each day to deliver my packages from my two stores on ebay....troll.

Back to Karma, not long after I took drugs back and made complaint with post master, I go to get my mail and what do you know, the part time carriers piece of junk mail truck is blocking me and my nieghbors from getting to our mailboxs because Karma killed his car at the very house he stole the watch from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are over 1000 houses on his route and just by chance his car dies at mine? HA HA HA Took photos of it and posted on social media, called post master and told him I thought it was more than IRONIC that his car died at my house of all places and was told it would be towed very soon. It was not towed, it was left there for six hours until he got done with his shift.

Not a single problem since then. The dude is scared of me now and calls me SIR every time. He should be, because the Postal Inspectors are watching his every move now that they have had to pay out for the watch and I made a complaint with them. They hate insurance claims where the item is never found and was lost in their system.

The thief tried to blame it on the full time uniform wearing USPS employees; saying " I do not know what happens after I drop off my mail from my route at the main post office."  Well guess what, they got cameras everywhere and no full timer is gonna to risk losing their job by stealing.  Then you also have to worry about those Jews who do not have to pray for justice when wrongs are done to them; guaranteed to be bad karma will come and it will be handed out seven times seven. Steal a 200 watch and your 2000 dollar car goes kuput.

Jews who deal in diamonds send there packages in unmarked first class packages. I purchased insurance because the customer wanted it. The USPS should not mark packages so employees can see that they are insured. It is none of their business. Just read the address and put it in the right box,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is not rocket science.

My advice, do not complain to supervisors or the post master, both of who is just going to cover their butts and try and not make their office look bad. If you know something bad is happening with your mail............notify the POSTAL INSPECTORS first and only. Then complain to Washington office. Most postal employees are hard working honest folks and this is only one of two problems I have had since I started in 1997 on my other ID.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply