cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with this 'Good Until Cancelled' bull malarky???

I need to decide when and how I relist items I'm selling.  As a small business person I sometimes make changes to the listing before I relist it.  Sometimes I decide NOT to relist an item that has no interest.  How the heck does eBay get the idea that THEY can decide when, how or how much I want to relist an item for?  This policy NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  Sometimes, changing things for no good reason is not the best business decision, eBay.  Smarten up and quit making things difficult FOR THE VERY PEOPLE WHO MAKE YOU YOUR **bleep** MONEY.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

It's called "old news" and while it is frustrating, it is the new way eBay does business.

There is nothing we can do, plenty of us have voiced our opinion, it's a shame.

But, it is what it is. Yes, eBay seems to be going the way of AOL, but I've decided to give eBay yet another chance and showing me they can bring me buyers and make me money.

Is this their last chance? Not sure, I'm going with it for 60-90 days, then I'll decide. 

You can manually cancel the items, if needed. 

I do feel your pain

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

@bcbassboy wrote:

How the heck does eBay get the idea that THEY can decide when, how or how much I want to relist an item for?

I dunno ... maybe they saw that the website is named eBay.com rather than bcbassboy.com ...

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

On July 1st, I made the very executive decision to "bulk end", 230 of my BIN listings before they auto-relisted.  I ended the listings around 9 am and they were set to auto-relist around 3 pm (I originally listed all BIN 230 items on June 1st).  I didn't have to do this, but wanted to see what would happen.

Within 30 minutes of re-listing all 230 BIN listings, 2 of the items sold.  I didn't make any changes to the listings (the same price, too).  I am asking myself if those 2 items would have sold within 30 minutes, after they auto re-listed later that day, and I am guessing,  "NO!".  I know I negated the "Google Effect" of the unsold items, by ending the items early. Ebay tells us the "Google Effect" of keeping a listing active (good till canceled) will help sellers in the long run because of the increased advertising of the item.  I, personally, am not so sure and I guess it's still too early to see if GTC will help sellers, long term.  I kind of enjoyed the short term results of yesterday.  I went to the Ebay seminar in Dallas, a couple of months ago, and the presenter said 80% of all all sellers used GTC before it was forced upon us.  I guess I was one of the 20 percenters.

It's to Ebay's advantage for sellers to sell as much as possible, so let's hope their marketing strategy is better than IT's departments strategy, to fix the numerous system glitches.  I'm really glad I don't rely on my Ebay sales to make a living, but it's still probably the best selling platform option out there.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

You can make changes to a listing at any point in time.  You don't need to wait until it ends to do that.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

@bcbassboy 

Never  had an issue  being able to  revise a Fixed price GTC listing yet & we are a "tiny" small business.  Not certain what issues you are having on revising listing.  Please  explain with more  details.

eBay.com is eBay's venue, they created the site & set the rules for sellers  and buyers - in effect eBay is the sellers landlord and you only pay FVFs (rent) when your item sells and monthly if you have a store subscription.  Play ball by the landlords  rules see the User Agreement you agreed to on day one of becoming an eBay member or  make a change that is to you liking.

@bcbassboy wrote:

I need to decide when and how I relist items I'm selling.  As a small business person I sometimes make changes to the listing before I relist it.  Sometimes I decide NOT to relist an item that has no interest.  How the heck does eBay get the idea that THEY can decide when, how or how much I want to relist an item for?  This policy NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  Sometimes, changing things for no good reason is not the best business decision, eBay.  Smarten up and quit making things difficult FOR THE VERY PEOPLE WHO MAKE YOU YOUR **bleep** MONEY.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

The user agreement I singed on to in 2001 didn't treat buyers like the indentured slaves it does now.  Don't give me the usual response of 'its eBay's game and if you don't like it take your ball and go home'.  I pay a fee with every listing and another fee when it sells and another fee on the shipping.  My sales pay for eBay executives salaries and always have.  I'm tired of sellers being treated like they mean nothing on this site.  Without sellers like me eBay has nothing.  They are imposing arbitrary policy that benefits their bottom line by disregarding how I choose to run my business on their site.  If I don't want a listing to automatically relist itself after 30 days, I shouldn't be forced to have to accept that.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Thanks.

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@bcbassboy wrote:
Thanks.

You asked a question.  I answered it. 

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

That  agreement you signed on with in 2001 also stated you agreed to  accept all future UA updates.  Each member is  sent  a notification of all future UA updates   in advance of the effective date.    You  can read all those up dates by going to the announcement  page and typing these search words "Updates to eBay User Agreement" in the  search box.

It is always a good idea to read  before signing on  any dotted line of an agreement or binding contract like a mortgage, auto loan, etc.

Hint for a solution to  solve this issue you posed. 

"If I don't want a listing to automatically relist itself after 30 days, I shouldn't be forced to have to accept that."

Solution:  You can select an auction listing with 1, 3, 7, 10 day duration and have a Buy It Now (BIN) option and included an Immediate Payment Required on the BIN option only portion.  The BIN  goes away  once you receive  a bid - as I recall the BIN price must be at least 30%  greater  that the auction start price - used to be just 10% higher which I preferred and sold a lot more stuff when it was.  I luv the IPR on all my fixed listings.

And yes there  is always three things any one can choose to do for any situation - 1.)  accept it for what it is 2.) work constructively to make it better or 3.) just say adios.  Actually there is a fourth an it is  4.)  become king of the situation and have everything done your way.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Your Message is 100% Correct...The GTC has Crushed so many Smaller Sellers....No Lookers ...No Watchers...Without Offers.....But Ebay says Just Promote your Items at 5 - 10% even More and they might get Viewed and Sell... Hope his Works....😊😊😊....Good Luck to All!!!

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

The GTC is E-bay's newest money maker.   They know many people will forget to end the listing and E-bay will charge you to auto re-list it.   There's no way they are going to change it.  They will try to cover-up it by saying how good it is for the seller.  It's a pain for the seller and benefits E-bay as new income.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

its disappointing after ten years to be forced into a "good until cancellation" situation. agreement to policy or not. this is a plain and simple cash grab. I want to relist the items I want by choice, not automatically. really like the 30 day listing period, well back to auction style only. 

I guess this is e-bay Canada's way of making better profits. In ten years of sales every time things are running good/efficiently - e-bay muddies the water and changes things. to make the GTC mandatory is against my basic choice right's. is what it is - maybe it's time for a different selling platform. things possibly can't/won't get much worse/confusing. with downsizing my sales to action only, I will save large on my selling fee's to e-bay. No options/No choice. like sheep to the slaughter. being a Canadian, I did not expect this from e-bay.ca - the Canadian side.  thanks

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@bcbassboy wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with you. What also bothers me about this GTC policy besides the fact it is being FORCED on us (it was already available to us before and we chose not to use it), therefore they knew there would be a backlash. Most of all, more than taking away a beneficial feature, they impose a strong likelihood on sellers affected by this change, to accept new listing fees without permission. As far as I know, that is not mentioned in the terms of this new policy. Either way, it's unethical... and may even be illegal. Personally, I smell a class-action lawsuit in the making.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I am a small reseller and my fees have increased because of GTC. My $21.95 store fee turned into $34.73 for this June. Everything just rolls right over and you keep getting charged. We had the option to use GTC but now we are forced to use it and I hate it. I am considering downsizing so I can phase out but you cannot just do that because you have a contract/lease/1yr term on your store. So, you will be charged if you change midstream unless changes are made the month before your contract/lease is to renew. Ebay's logic as to why they are forcing GTC on seller is only logical for them..... more money!
Message 15 of 41
latest reply