cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of NO Returns?

I listed something I selected no returns.

Now buyer 28 days from sale wants to send it back. 

Correct me if I am wrong but

I could say no and point to the listing saying no returns, and he will quickly move to destroy my 100% positive feedback.

So what's the point of saying no returns when they have you over a barrel?

I tested it for a week, it worked, I resold, it's in good working order just like the listing said.....

10 bucks to ship this 25 dollar item. If I take the return, even if I resell I'm operating at a loss. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: What's the point of NO Returns?

I use no returns in part because I sell a lot of books.  To me it is a preventive action - I don't want to deal with buyers that purchase items with the thought of returning them.   I'd rather lose the sale upfront than deal with returns. 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Sometimes the cost of the return label causes the overall cost of the return to not be financially feasible.    However, I would still send the return label and get the item back, rather than allow the buyer to keep the item.  Just my opinion.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

So, I put 'No Returns' on an item and then send out an empty box. I should be covered?

Or, I describe something wrong. It's not 5, it's 2. It's not A, it's B. Buyer's loss?

Some sellers scam. All sellers make mistakes. The buyers have to be allowed to determine if they get what the seller claimed. Yes, sometimes they will take advantage and lie. A very unfortunate, but necessary, part of selling items on-line.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

There is a point and if you say no returns and they open a claim you have a chance to prove its buyers remorse.  If you don't say it they can send it back for any reason.   Feedback like that may be removed but I'd rather get the negative then put up with such behavior.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I have a no returns policy and it works well for me. I decline 99% of properly filed remorse returns I receive. I've never had a buyer be able to change it to a MBG return after that. One filed a Paypal case years ago, but they saw the closed ebay return and denied the Paypal case (not sure if result would be the same post ebay/pp split, but I haven't had any others try it). I average one false MBG case per year, so for me it's not worth the financial loss of accepting 20-ish returns a year to be able to discount one refund if the buyer damages the item they falsely claimed was SNAD. I sell in a low cost, low fraud category, so different return policy may work best for a seller in a high fraud category so they can salvage something if an expensive item isn't returned in same condition or swapped for a brick.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

the problem is they think it should do something that it's not, and wasn't, advertised to do.

And I get it, if it's not what they want of course it sucks for them to have to pay to ship it back.

but it also sucks for me to have to pay to ship it back because it's not my fault either 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Unlike most, I'm happily No Returns.  It allows you to deny return requests (but not SNADs).  I don't get many, but I have denied almost all of them & never rec'd a neg or neut for doing so, that I can recall.   Typically they say 'oops, I didn't see that you were no returns'.   

Also, I've only ever had 1 or 2 fake SNADs that went through & another that I fought & one b/c they admitted "it didn't suit them". 

So it works for me.  BUT, it depends how honest your demographic is.  Mine tends to be pretty honest, so I don't have issues with it.   

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 22 of 22
latest reply