cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with Ebay? They in financial trouble?

I get email today saying I get 100 listings for a nickel each.

Last quarter they had so many promos....not that I'm complaining, but it seemed to a lot of people that Ebay was having problems making their quarterly numbers. A lot of people felt something was going on. Now the nickel listings, that raises even more suspicion.

Anyone heard any rumors? I can see if they might be hurting because so many other ways to sell without fees. In fact just last month, I was scammed from a buyer lying to steal a 250 item from me. I had to contact Ebay and yell and scream to get my money back only after they already gave it to the buyer. That taught me never to sell any item over 50.00 on Ebay again. It's too scary.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I wouldn't be surprised if their numbers are down as there is so much more competition these days. I received a promo last month - but I haven't received listing promos since last Sept. The only things I would get are a % off FVFs in select categories so I am thrilled that I received list 100 for 5 cents each.

I just got a return and they removed all the tags befor trying them on to find out they don't fit. People like this are everywhere - not just Ebay.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

You'll know very soon. Ebay first quarter report is due tomorrow, I believe.
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I'm waiting for the June 50% coupons.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

As far as the reason of needing more sellers or they are in trouble, I just did my searches for the day.

One thing they do not need is any more sellers, in fact they could afford to lose some.

As far as the bad buyer you had, unfortunately bad people went from the 5 finger discount to doing it online.

And yes you just learned the golden rule - do not list anything you cannot afford to lose.  We have seasoned sellers here who will not list items over a certain amount.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@brads_ann wrote:

For the past five years, people have regularly posted here to say that they think eBay is in financial trouble by reading something into a free listing promo.

And for the past five years, eBay's financial statements have shown that their their gross volume of merchandise sold and their net income are steadily (albeit slowly) increasing. 

So it may have seemed to a lot of people that eBay was having trouble making their numbers, but those people were just guessing incorrectly.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

You know it! I got tired of waiting on the 15% so had to order a 240.00 item the other day. Would really like a Laptop from Best Buy and can get it off Ebay if they would hurry up and post that 15% off coupon.

I think 50% is dreaming but sure would be nice.

What is odd it that I always get free listings. I dont' think I've ever paid to list something but now I gotta give Ebay a nickel for each new listing. What's with that? Is that the new thing now...no more free listings?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@brads_ann wrote:

For the past five years, people have regularly posted here to say that they think eBay is in financial trouble by reading something into a free listing promo.

And for the past five years, eBay's financial statements have shown that their their gross volume of merchandise sold and their net income are steadily (albeit slowly) increasing. 

So it may have seemed to a lot of people that eBay was having trouble making their numbers, but those people were just guessing incorrectly.

I get what you're saying but lately things have really changed from the norm of past years. I guess we'll see.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

IMO, there are in a scary situation and are afraid to do what they need to do  for fear of having a negative impact on the stock value.  

Sometimes taking a loss in the short term can reap magnificant returns in the long run.

The future quarterly reports will be an interesting read, I'm fairly sure they will be as usual, minimal  growth. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

At the end of the last quarter I thought they were scrambling to make a number given all the % off promotions they were doing. It's been my experience that those type of unplanned, short term, buy now promotions only appear when top line sales need to be goosed.  

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@brads_ann wrote:
I get what you're saying but lately things have really changed from the norm of past years. I guess we'll see.

That is also something people have been posting here regularly for about five years now. 

Zacks, BOA, KeyCorp and Forbes all seem to think eBay will report high single digit growth for Q1. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@brads_ann wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

You know it! I got tired of waiting on the 15% so had to order a 240.00 item the other day. Would really like a Laptop from Best Buy and can get it off Ebay if they would hurry up and post that 15% off coupon.

I think 50% is dreaming but sure would be nice.

What is odd it that I always get free listings. I dont' think I've ever paid to list something but now I gotta give Ebay a nickel for each new listing. What's with that? Is that the new thing now...no more free listings?

50% off.  I doubt it.

As for free listings, do you have a store?  Will you get one?

They are incentives for people to get a store.  If you already have one or do not intend to eve get one, then you have probably been cut off.

Ebay is not a charity.  Why should you continue to get for free what others have to pay for?

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@brads_ann wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

They are incentives for people to get a store.  If you already have one or do not intend to eve get one, then you have probably been cut off.

Ebay is not a charity.  Why should you continue to get for free what others have to pay for?

Never had a store...dont' want one. I don't sell that much especially now. Things have slowed down so much lately....almost deadsville.

I've never had to pay to list. Never in many years. now I'm being told all listings are 5 cents. Why are they making non-store people now pay to list? That's different than it's been. Sounds like they need money. Yep, we are already being charged a 10% fee when we sell. I think that's enough. lol They keep charging a nickel here and nickel there, they could lose even more sellers. I bet they soon raise the selling fee from 10% to 12%. I know I'd be gone completely except to buy. According to my item listings now, I'm already about gone from Ebay.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@brads_ann wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@brads_ann wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

Never had a store...dont' want one. I don't sell that much especially now. Things have slowed down so much lately....almost deadsville.

I've never had to pay to list. Never in many years. now I'm being told all listings are 5 cents. Why are they making non-store people now pay to list? That's different than it's been. Sounds like they need money. Yep, we are already being charged a 10% fee when we sell. I think that's enough. lol They keep charging a nickel here and nickel there, they could lose even more sellers. I bet they soon raise the selling fee from 10% to 12%. I know I'd be gone completely except to buy. According to my item listings now, I'm already about gone from Ebay.

What goes down in real life?  Rent, fees, costs, prices.

Ebay is a for profit company?  Costs more to run it, so naturally prices rise - same as IRL.

As for fees to list - how would you like it if you paid to get a store and someone else got free listings without one?  Wouldn't be faiir, would it.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@brads_ann wrote:

If they make it the only reason is going to be because they tossed all those 10, 15 and 20% coupons out to buyers a couple weeks ago.  They didn't do that out of the kindness of their heart. 

Message 15 of 30
latest reply