cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What return rate does ebay start to penalize you.

So I heard that ebay will penalize you and charge you a certain percentage fee for a high return rate. I sell mainly computer parts and it is a very challeging catagory. Most of the items I received back from returns are fully working, and some are damaged by the buyer because they of user installation errors. However because these user errors, and also unsupported components that the tend to use it with. I get a returns from user claiming they don't work. 

So at what percentage return rate will ebay start to haul in the higher fees? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Over a 12 month period you'll need 10 returns and every category you sell in that the percentage is 1% or above you'll be charged 14% FVFs...

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Returns by themselves do not factor into your seller standard rating

• Top Rated
  • Above Standard
  • Below Standard

You rating is based on

• eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Purchase Protection cases closed without seller resolution

•  

Seller-initiated transaction cancellation

These two links might be helpful to you

Seller performance Policy                             

eBay Returns FAQ

Good Luck Selling!               

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

A more helpful place to look is "Peer Benchmarks" under "Service Metrics Policy."

That still does not answer OP's question and, to date, ebay hasn't answered the question.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Over a 12 month period you'll need 10 returns snad returns and every category you sell in that the percentage is 1% or above you'll be charged 14% FVFs...

I believe that it is also based on peer benchmarks although as other poster mentioned, that information isn't really clear.  According to ebay service metrics will be available in sellers hub on July 20th so hopefully we will have more info then.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Its going to be psychicly done. If any eBay employee gets a deja  vu that someone might return some thing......well that counts.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Over a 12 month period you'll need 10 returns snad returns and every category you sell in that the percentage is 1% or above you'll be charged 14% FVFs...

I believe that it is also based on peer benchmarks although as other poster mentioned, that information isn't really clear.  According to ebay service metrics will be available in sellers hub on July 20th so hopefully we will have more info then.

I still haven't found it (okay, haven't looked) but the one example ebay sent me of my return rate was based on 20,000 sales in the Clothing category and I was above "my peers"; my return rate was 1.16% and the average was 1.0.

I don't believe a 1% return rate in clothing - I think that's low - and I'm also not sure where ebay came up with 20,000 sales in Clothing, which I quit selling quite a while back in any quantity of more than a few.

Note:  I'm kind of making up the return rate percentage numbers but not by much; my memory does tell me mine was 1.somethinglow % and the peer rate was right at 1.0%.  Making me, of course, higher than average.

Another note:  To use a sales number that high, ebay went back to the beginning of time, not the last 12 or 3 months as we've been told would be used.  Kind of like defects will never count against you.  Or, wait for it, that "number of returns" at the top of your page is just for your own use as a seller; it's not for use by ebay."

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@paudoh-16 wrote:

Its going to be psychicly done. If any eBay employee gets a deja  vu that someone might return some thing......well that counts.

Does it not also depend on the day of the week?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@paudoh-16 wrote:

I was under the impression that ebay already penalizes you when you sign up to be a seller... Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

I was under the impression that ebay already penalizes you when you sign up to be a seller... Smiley Very Happy

laughinglaughinglaughingthinking

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

Does it not also depend on the day of the week?

I believe It's a wheel of fortune. Is this your lucky day?  NO.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I also sell in clothing and received the same message from eBay. However, they are saying I am at 1.73% and the average for my peers is only at .87%. The problem I have with that is the fact that literally out of 28 items they are pulling 19 are supposedly SNAD BUT eBay found 16 of those IN MY FAVOR stating buyers remorse. All 4 of the *doesnt work or defective* were also found to be buyers remorse. Only 1 of the 2 arrived damaged couldnt be proven to be buyers remorse and I actually THINK I believed her. Finally only 2 of the 3 sent wrong item were actually true request/cases(and the shipping labels just got switched on those 2). So how exactly am I to be held accountable and charged extra for eBay having a system in place that just simply doesnt work?!?! I have already spent the time on the phone with them to get those fixed in the first place now just to have to go through every single case with them again?!?! When they take them off of your dashboard/seller level shouldnt it just be taken care of??? Some of those will be off by October when the email said the extra charges will be in place BUT not anywhere near what I would need them to be to not have to call back. I am beyond frustrated with eBay for this and many other reasons and feel they just need to quit with the changes until they have the old **bleep** fixed! Anyways, just letting you know you arent alone in this battle...

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I'm pretty sure they are going to count it if a buyer opened a SNAD case, regardless of the outcome.
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@rockmafia5 wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are going to count it if a buyer opened a SNAD case, regardless of the outcome.

Yes, I think that was said somewhere by a blue.   

Another ebay thought/policy/whatever that I've seen in writing around here is that anytime a buyer initiates any type of return or needs clarification or  after-sale contact with either a seller or ebay, it's considered a "bad buying experience."

I know I'm not using the correct words but you get my drift.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Yes, it is.  Ebay announced that sellers will be measured against their peers to evaluate their returns.

Service metrics and competitive insights

As we announced in the 2018 Spring Seller Update, we will provide you with additional visibility into the status of your buyers' after-sale requests, which will help you identify any listings that aren't meeting buyer expectations.

Starting in July 2018, we will provide competitive insights with service metrics and peer benchmarks that will help you assess your performance. You can find the insights in a new section in Seller Hub called Service Metrics.

The metrics will show you:

• How often you receive return requests for "items not as described."
  • How often you receive buyer requests for "items not received."
  • Peer benchmarks—comparisons to sellers of similar items.
  • Insights into why buyers are making after-sale requests, and tips to reduce requests.

These metrics can help you reduce after-sale buyer requests, which are time-consuming, costly to service, and often result in refunded sales.

snad average

Starting in September 2018, if you have very high occurrences of these poor buyer experiences, you will be notified via email and may be subject to extended estimated delivery times and additional fees.

To make sure you're meeting eBay's minimum selling requirements, read our selling best practices and check your seller dashboardregularly.

Shipping service promise

We've updated our selling practices policy to reflect the importance and requirement of maintaining your shipping service promise. Provide a great customer experience by using the class of shipping service you promised in your listing and uploading tracking information. If you use a slower shipping service than the one you offered, your items may be delivered later than your customer expects.

Shipping best practices

Buyers expect to receive their orders on time, especially when they pay additional fees for expedited shipping services. Before you create a listing, always determine the cost, tracking availability, and delivery speed of the shipping service option(s) you plan to offer. For example, you should know the differences between One Day, Expedited, Standard, and Economy shipping options and understand free default shipping and paid shipping options that you want to offer in your listings.

Shipping location zip code

Starting July 31, 2018, you will be required to provide a valid zip code for your item's shipping location when you list. Valid zip codes help us provide your buyers with more accurate delivery estimates.

If the item you're selling is located in multiple locations, outside of US, or you use freight, you will not be required to provide zip codes in your listings.

Learn more about our item location policy.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply