cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes some Military/Army issue gloves or glove inserts special or sought after?

I'm wondering why some Army/Military issue leather gloves or wool inserts are more sought after than others? I'm selling a pair of Army issue black leather gloves that are lined along with a pair of green wool glove inserts, and they are getting more attention that I would ever have thought. So was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to why they are getting so much attention?

The black leather gloves are by Glovemasters Inc, are lined and on the back of one of the inside tags it has hand written numbers - 0005/35.

The green wool inserts I believe are by Perfect KTG Mills.

These were my husbands old army issue gloves that he never used, (he's now retired from over 20 yrs in). He doesn't remember what year he got them, but they aren't vintage, as my husband is only in his early 50's, so doubt they are very old. I can't seem to find any info online about them. What could be the interest in these gloves? I'm honestly curious and appreciate any information anyone can offer!

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

What makes some Military/Army issue gloves or glove inserts special or sought after?

Maybe because the US military clothing is made in the USA(or should be)?

Should have kept mine.

Because they are real leather and real wool ?
I will have to look around to see if I still have my old pair.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68

Because when you put the gloves on,

it is no longer 2018...

And you just kissed an English girl for the first time.

And tomorrow, you jump into Normandy.

Well, that... and they are good gloves.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Military issue clothing is:

1) Made in the USA

2) Made to withstand rugged use

3) Collectable

Military gloves are made to certain specifications, to withstand certain temperatures and to last a long time 🙂

They are made to protect the Military Asset wearing them, not for decoration  (except for "Dress Gloves", of course)

If you can get ahold of US Navy issue gloves that are issued to the flight deck crew on a carrier ... you are in the money LOL 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

You've received some interesting answers so far, but here's another thought from someone who doesn't know any better than anyone else:

Are these gloves still standard issue, or have they been replaced? If they're no longer standard issue and they have been replaced by something inferior (or just not as well liked), the old equipment may be very much in demand. No doubt, active duty personnel who liked the old stuff better would be part of the market for it.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

Military issue clothing is:

1) Made in the USA

2) Made to withstand rugged use

3) Collectable

Military gloves are made to certain specifications, to withstand certain temperatures and to last a long time 🙂

They are made to protect the Military Asset wearing them, not for decoration  (except for "Dress Gloves", of course)

If you can get ahold of US Navy issue gloves that are issued to the flight deck crew on a carrier ... you are in the money LOL 

Not me - if I had them, my hands would be warm! Not someone elses hands.

@thallidguy wrote:

You've received some interesting answers so far, but here's another thought from someone who doesn't know any better than anyone else:

Are these gloves still standard issue, or have they been replaced? If they're no longer standard issue and they have been replaced by something inferior (or just not as well liked), the old equipment may be very much in demand. No doubt, active duty personnel who liked the old stuff better would be part of the market for it.

Along that same line of thought ... Retired and Ex-Military who miss the good gloves they had while in 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

The white (buff) leather ones were a lot softer.  Used the same green inserts though.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Besides my fatigue jacket and a couple utility shirts, the gloves were the only things I kept. The rest went into the burn pile.

I believe it is colder than usual this month in the USA.

If you have any brass monkey cozies , you may do well with those too.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Wow, thanks everybody, you guys are a hoot! lol
Love the replies! So glad I posted this question, was worried no one would answer.
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@2boxers68

@2boxers68 wrote:
Wow, thanks everybody, you guys are a hoot! lol
Love the replies! So glad I posted this question, was worried no one would answer.

Well... you are welcome, from the weekend Zoo crew, ( we will be here all week )

I still have an "IKE" jacket my uncle gave me from the 50's

And a hat with the 50 mission crush... but I don't wear that.

And a Luft cap... but we don't talk about that side of the family...

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

Smiley LOL Don't know if you ever watched "Fawltey Towers," but....

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war!"

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@thallidguy

@thallidguy wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

Smiley LOL Don't know if you ever watched "Fawltey Towers," but....

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war!"

NOBODY  expects the Spanish Inquisition

Message 15 of 32
latest reply