cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What just happened here? Drop ship delivery w/ USPS Tracking

I’ve been a seller (and buyer) here for over 18 years. I prefer giving my business to fellow eBay sellers when I can, rather than to big box stores, especially when sales are slow. I guess I forgot about the onslaught of drop-shippers that have dominated top search results, but just had a reminder.

I ordered something that shipped from California via USPS on 6/15. Tracking shows it was delivered to my mailbox at 12:36 pm on 6/18.

Nothing was in my mailbox at that time. The flag remained up until my carrier delivered the mail and collected my scheduled pickup from the mailbox at 3:49 pm.

Now here’s where it gets weird.

I get an alert on my phone at 12:23 pm (from the doorbell camera) that someone’s on the porch. It’s not the mail carrier, it’s a guy dropping off a single item in a Walmart bag.

I did get my eBay order, but it was drop shipped from Walmart—if I wanted to give WM my business I would have gone there myself. Furthermore, it wasn’t sent via USPS nor delivered to my mailbox like the tracking shows (how’d that happen?)

Did this drop shipper just exploit the Walmart delivery service (most likely without tipping/paying the driver?). I’m big on tipping, especially now with gas prices being so high, If you’re going to drive something to my lazy azzz, I want you to know that I appreciate your service by saying it in cash.

I’m wondering if this delivery person just drove a $12 item all the way to my house—for free? That’s what’s bugging me the most about this. No clue how delivery services work but I assume the drivers are independent contractors who survive on tips. The margins are so low on that item that the seller probably made a buck after fees, so I doubt there was much left to share with the person whose labor they’d just exploited.

I’d also like to know how this tracked via USPS or does USPS partner with Walmart for last mile delivery or something? I just checked USPS informed delivery and this package is not listed. How did this buyer game the tracking?

I’m aware of how sellers use Amazon and Sams Club to drop ship but how does this have 3 days of tracking history when it appears to have come from the local Walmart store?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What just happened here? Drop ship delivery w/ USPS Tracking

#1 I would like to see a printout of the USPS tracking history. Showing all locations. He probably re-used a tracking # while:

#2 He subscribed for Walmart+ for $99 a year and is using the free delivery service for drop shipping. Kind of smart, but won't last long.

Walmart employs multiple methods to get your items to you. They use Uber drivers and FedEx mainly. I have no idea how they are making money with their wannabee Prime service.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

#1 I would like to see a printout of the USPS tracking history. Showing all locations. He probably re-used a tracking # while:

#2 He subscribed for Walmart+ for $99 a year and is using the free delivery service for drop shipping. Kind of smart, but won't last long.

Walmart employs multiple methods to get your items to you. They use Uber drivers and FedEx mainly. I have no idea how they are making money with their wannabee Prime service.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Same here...bought something on Ebay and Amazon delivered it.   Like others have stated, if they get caught they're not here very long.  The seller I bought from is no longer a seller on Ebay and I suspect Amazon either.   I guess the only way to curb this behavior is to report it.  However Ebay is sort of slow to get around to address these issues now days.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@sew_fastenating wrote:

E5EC82B3-EE87-4F3A-B4E8-CE8B046856A3.png

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

For the record, AZ has a fulfillment service that allows sellers to warehouse and ship with AZ , whether the product is sold on AZ or another site.

The good point is that delivery is faster than the seller, since AZ has those fulfillment centres all over the place.

• They are building less than a kilometre from my city's airport. And our Island has a population of just under 900,000.

The drawback is that customers are confused by recieving an eBay purchase in AZ packaging.

But it's legal. And you did buy from the eBay seller. And he probably did already own the product he sold you, although he lists it on multiple sites.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yes, that’s true. I sold through Amazon FBA and recall they had a multi-channel fulfillment service but I thought the packaging was unbranded for offsite sales. 

Usually  a gift receipt inside the AMZ branded box is a giveaway that a seller used Amazon to drop ship. I could be wrong but that’s what I always thought when my eBay order arrives as a “gift” from Amazon. Which kind of irks me because I have a Prime membership and could have just bought it there but specifically chose to buy it from eBay instead. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Thank you...Many have posted differently, so I figured that may be why that particular seller that I bought from became NARU.   May have been another issue.  I seldom shop on ebay anymore.  Only sell.  The Amazon warehouse is two blocks down from where I live.  Convenient and quick! 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Well, USPS had to deliver something to your home. Even if it's an empty envelope. The seller must have purchased a USPS label from eBay to fulfill his obligation to ship and then used Walmart to provide the item.

All in the name of $12 which probably works out to be $1. At this rate, seller needs to go back to school, get an education, and get a job.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It’s so strange because the only mail I received on Saturday was a piece of junk mail from Cigna and a package that came at 3:49 pm. 

5BCEDA67-2918-4BAB-A224-C95158BCCAEB.jpeg

This looks like phone number spoofing only with USPS tracking numbers, not sure if that’s a thing but if it’s not, I’m sure  it will be. 

I think much of the drop ship process is automated using bots or scripts or whatever… so this person may have dozens of accounts all operating at once.  So making a dollar here and there in multiples adds up.  Exploitation is at the core of American capitalism and this person has figured out how to finagle and exploit for personal gain, so kudos to them for figuring it out.   Unfortunately, this type of seller is what ruin the buying experience at eBay—which hurts us all when buyers find better places to shop online. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I had the same type of experience. Ordered an item from an individual on Ebay and received the item 3 days later delivered to my front door by Walmart.com.  There was no packing slip or receipt in the box.  Quite confusing.  The tracking number on my Ebay order said that my item was being shipped by the USPS from New Jersey to Iowa.  After several days, the package tracking said that the item was in my mailbox.  All that was in the mailbox was an envelope with a USPS label - in the envelope was a 5% discount card from the seller.  Now when I go on Ebay, there is no record of my purchase?????  Am I being scammed here? Been checking my credit card and haven't seen any fraud yet. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

If the seller worked anywhere they had access to a big shipping database then they could just use the same tracking number as another item shipping to the same zip code.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I wouldn't be surprised if a site existed that had tracking numbers that sellers and scammers can use. Basically you enter a zip code from and to and it will give you a recent tracking number you can use here or wherever.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You assume drop shipper lives in USA. 

A lot of drop shippers live in another country try, making $10 USD a day drop shipping is better than getting a job in some region in the world.

I am not sure how they spoofed the USPS though if they arent in USA. But they probably mailed something to another house with the same Zip Code.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply