cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do if you send wrong Item and buyer will not send back

I put the wrong shipping label on the two packages so they went to the wrong people one person got a refund the other person got the first package  I asked them not to open then they said they did not know if they got it so I mailed there original order to her and she received now she will not answer so she has a $45 item that does not belong to her.  Stuck I do not know what to do any idea

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: What do you do if you send wrong Item and buyer will not send back

Yeah, that's like comparing apples and unicorns.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Which one is the unicorn?

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

The one on the left.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Honesty and integrity are sadly lacking in today's world. 

Personally I could not keep an item in the situation you described. 

Yes, it was your mistake , but the buyer should have returned if they had any kind of a conscience.

Apparently they don't. 

Very sorry this happened to you. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

"Well that isn't correct.  It was an honest mistake made by the OP.  That buyer never paid for the item.  They do not own it"

Yeah, that's not correct.  Honest mistake has nothing to do with it.  Do you think the OP sent it as a dishonest mistake? The buyer doesn't have to pay for the item, and the buyer does own it if it was sent to them in the mail.

Look I know and the OP knows that they made a mistake.  In an effort to make it right by the buyer as quickly as possible, the OP did the right thing by sending the correct item to them, but the buyer is doing the wrong thing.  And YES the OP made an honest mistake.

Since the buyer has an extra item that is not paid for does not mean they own it.  It simply means they are willing to steal it, communicating with the OP and by not returning it or paying for it.  

It isn't that the buyer doesn't have to pay for the first item but they should send it back at the OP's expense.

You internal compass may be different than mine.  If I were the buyer in this case that received both items, I would no more think I owned what I didn't pay for than I would think I own my neighbors car in my driveway because they parked on my property, the fact the car is in my possession doesn't mean I own it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

No INR or INAD will be forthcoming, as OP wrote that he already sent the correct item to the person who won't return the wrong package.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

As I understand it, federal regulations allow a mail recipient to keep any unordered merchandise that is mailed to them with their name and address.  This is a result of the federal prohibition of scammers sending unordered merchandise then demanding payment, which is illegal.  So the recipient has the right to keep the unordered merchandise.  Learn from your mistakes and improve your process.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@loulo1974-2et2zb5 wrote:

As I understand it, federal regulations allow a mail recipient to keep any unordered merchandise that is mailed to them with their name and address.  This is a result of the federal prohibition of scammers sending unordered merchandise then demanding payment, which is illegal.  So the recipient has the right to keep the unordered merchandise.  Learn from your mistakes and improve your process.

There simply is no way to justify this buyer not responding to the OP.  It is stealing.  They know they didn't pay for it and they also know the seller made a mistake and are trying to recover the item, while the Seller the the moral thing and shipped them the item they actually ordered and paid for.

There isn't a way IMHO to justify the buyer stealing the item

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

The easiest way that I'm aware of is always to reverse each transaction.

So what would happen, is you wait for either buyer to contact you in regards to this mixup and then you inform them they need to open a return for reason "Item Not As Described" (that or if they open a case for INAD) then you need to accept the return.

That is how you get your item(s) back.

Once the buyer's returns arrive, you issue the refund(s).

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Right, and just because they are allowed to keep it, doesn't make it right to do so. This is probably the same type of degenerate that will:

Lie and say they never received an item.

Claim shipping damage.

File NAD claim so they don't have to pay return shipping for buying wrong item or remorse buy.

Look for the good old partial return money.

Pretty disgusting when you think about it, that this clown thinks they are more entitled to the item than OP or the customer who actually paid for it. I wish Ebay could just put that person's account on hold until they return it or pay for it. Just wishful thinking I know, but it will have to do until I figure out how to wish these people out to the cornfield. 

Sorry OP, was your turn in the barrel, I guess.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

The easiest way that I'm aware of is always to reverse each transaction.

So what would happen, is you wait for either buyer to contact you in regards to this mixup and then you inform them they need to open a return for reason "Item Not As Described" (that or if they open a case for INAD) then you need to accept the return.

That is how you get your item(s) back.

Once the buyer's returns arrive, you issue the refund(s).

I personally would never handle it that way.  IMHO it would make the buyer far more upset than notifying them as soon as you find out you made an error.  Being proactive instead of reactive is likely to get you further and help you to avoid two mad customers.  

Letting the buyers discover on their own that you made a mistake could really add fuel on this problem that is simply unnecessary.

Not to mention getting two INADs on your record that didn't necessarily need to be there.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply