cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the eBay penalties for non-paying buyers?

Yesterday a potential buyer emailed me, wondering if I combine shipping prices on multiple items, to which I replied "Yes!"  I did point out, however, that magazines can not be shipped out at USPS Media rate; and that a mixed lot of both magazines & books would need to be shipped at USPS Priority rates, for shipments exceeding 1 pound.

A few hours later, the buyer orders 40 of my items -- a mixture of magazines, books, CDs & stamps.  I emailed the buyer that it would take me a while to round up all those individual items to estimate a total shipping price; and, a few hours later, arrived at a total price of just under $1000.00 (including about $43.00 USPS Priority shipping).

I sent the buyer the invoice; and then. . .nothing.

I realize the buyer has several days to commit to purchase; but what happens if the buyer defaults?  Does eBay smack him with 40 strikes for nonpayment?  The buyer has been buying on eBay since 2005; but his feedback score is only 268 -- will eBay suspend him permanently, if he doesn't pay?

But hopefully, the buyer will come through for me -- I could use a healthy sale just before the holidays.

ANY holidays!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I believe this one would be 15 yards and loss of a down.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

If the buyer fails to pay and you cancel all 40 of those transactions based on nonpayment, then the buyer will indeed get 40 nonpayment strikes.  But AFAIK the only penalty would be that he will be blocked by sellers who have set up their site preferences to block bidders/buyers based on the number of strikes.

Many years ago, eBay had a "3 strikes and you're out" policy (which was actually 4 strikes because a buyer could get the first one forgiven).  But that policy disappeared at about the same time as the buyer block option was introduced.  Sellers who have all of their listings set up for "Immediate payment required" don't care how many strikes a buyer has, and they are an increasing proportion of eBay listings.

You could have set up two packages/invoices: One for items that were eligible for Media Mail shipping, and another to go via the higher Priority Mail rates.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

NOTHING !! Only sellers get in trouble...  

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

"NOTHING !! Only sellers get in trouble...  "

Plus I get to pay $12.00 in nonrefundable eBay fees.

The fun never ceases, and the rewards just keep piling up.

Like horse apples.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Are you talking about the .30 fee? If the buyer doesn't pay that will not be charged.  If they do pay for the whole order at one time, don't' you just pay .30?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

The best way to "penalize" the buyer is by following protocol.

Wait 4 days for payment.

Cancel the transactions on the 5th day. Reason: Buyer did not pay.

They should receive a "strike" for each non-payment, 40 of them.

Then sellers will be able to block him.

I got my fingers crossed for you that the buyer comes through.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@inhawaii 

"I got my fingers crossed for you that the buyer comes through."

Thanks -- and don't eat the purple poi!

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Have you looked into the new cubic rates for USPS ground shipping that's only available on pirateship.com?

They just started in July and you can ship up to a 12" by 12" by 12" Box and it's incredibly cheap.  It just has to be under 20 pounds.

You could calculate the cost to send him his package this way and send him another message that you learned of alternative way to ship that may be slightly slower but much cheaper. If he's not paying atm because of the high shipping cost maybe this will motivate him to actually pay you for everything.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Sometimes it can also make sense just to ship the magazines and stamps in a separate package. 

Also, honestly for a $1000 sale of assorted lower dollar items I would be bending over backwards to make it go through. I'd just send another invoice with $15 shipping instead of $40.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

$43 for shipping on an order that over $900, this buyer is playing with the OP. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

eBay will count the number of unpaid item strikes. eBay allows sellers to block buyers based on the quantity of unpaid item strikes they have. eBay does not block the buyers unless a seller makes the necessary adjustments in their buyer management settings.

Buyer Management | eBay

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Don't expect eBay to send an agent to their door, they will probably get an eBay coupon.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

$1000 sale?  I'd ship the sucker for "free" but that's just me.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

IF he does pay you, remember to add SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION for seller protection . Ebay requires that on any total that is 750.oo or more.  If you ship in 2 boxes, each box will need it.  Goodluck.  This sounds like a nightmare.  Even packing all of those magazines is time consuming.  Hopefully , they are legit.  Goodluck.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply