cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the eBay penalties for non-paying buyers?

Yesterday a potential buyer emailed me, wondering if I combine shipping prices on multiple items, to which I replied "Yes!"  I did point out, however, that magazines can not be shipped out at USPS Media rate; and that a mixed lot of both magazines & books would need to be shipped at USPS Priority rates, for shipments exceeding 1 pound.

A few hours later, the buyer orders 40 of my items -- a mixture of magazines, books, CDs & stamps.  I emailed the buyer that it would take me a while to round up all those individual items to estimate a total shipping price; and, a few hours later, arrived at a total price of just under $1000.00 (including about $43.00 USPS Priority shipping).

I sent the buyer the invoice; and then. . .nothing.

I realize the buyer has several days to commit to purchase; but what happens if the buyer defaults?  Does eBay smack him with 40 strikes for nonpayment?  The buyer has been buying on eBay since 2005; but his feedback score is only 268 -- will eBay suspend him permanently, if he doesn't pay?

But hopefully, the buyer will come through for me -- I could use a healthy sale just before the holidays.

ANY holidays!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: What are the eBay penalties for non-paying buyers?

The penalties for non paying buyers, essentially amount to nothing.

If you report them, which you should, is that its recorded on their account.

It might, after a time, prevent them from buying from other sellers who have  buyer management setting set to prevent serial non paying buyers from placing an order.

But they don't suffer nearly the same penalties as sellers, for far less incorrect things.  Given its an equivzlent trade transaction, its completsly unfair.  Bad buyers undermine the site just as much as any had seller can.

And before anyone says ebay makes momey off the buyers, thats why....ebay makes money off SELLERS.  There would be no buying without sellers selling items.  Further, ebay sellers are also ebay buyers, so ebay makes money off sellers TWO ways, not just one.  Ebay sellers are more reliable and dedicated to doing well because they have far more at stake to lose here than the average buyer does.  A far higher standard is kept by average sellers here than average buyers, otherwise the seller is gone.  Sellers are booted even when trying to adhere to all the rules and standards.  Sellers spend a great deal of time and attsntion to their reputations, they don't just decide one day to chuck their years-long worked on metrics and ratings and decide to scam over their buyers. Doesn't happen.  But there are scammers here that masquerade as a buyer and scam over a bunch of sellers with orders, and ebays policies and rules facilitates and encourages this scam behavior. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Over the 35 threshold for unpaid items = drawn and quartered. 

Posting ID
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

Over the 35 threshold for unpaid items = drawn and quartered. 

Hmm... I thought those buyers got the "eBay devoted buyer award".

#36 may be the purchase they pay for and keep. 

"Buyers who have excessive unpaid cancellations may have limits imposed by a seller or by eBay, or lose their buying privileges."  We are talking buyer defects, 500 is excessive for eBay action. Now if you want to talk seller defects...               🙄

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Buyer update, folks!  

The buyer paid his invoice without a whine or whimper, and I just shipped off a HUGE mixed lot of magazines, books, CDs and stamps -- and he just placed another order for 10 more mixed items!

Fortunately, nearly everything which he has purchased shadows my own tastes; so I can hopefully look forwards to many more years of BIG sales from my new buyer!

Cross fingers, anyway. . ..

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Yay happy ending!!! That is amazing!!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for the update. We do love a happy ending, especially with a "happily ever after" note.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Nothing.  I had a similar buyer that accepted my offers.  Buyer did not paid.  I went ahead and check her feedback, and found out that she had about 250 non payments of her 300 or so feedback.  This happen about 1 year ago.  

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Congrats on your sell.  I hope that you get more sells like this one.  

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

Unfortunately, nothing happens.

Buyers can create as many accounts as they wish and/or, check out as a Guest.

Reindeer games.  Ain't they Grand?  Lol

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 24 of 24
latest reply