cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Are You Going To Do To Minimize Your Returns: Is there anything you can do?

What Are You Going To Do To Minimize Your Return: Is there anything you can do? After the 2018 Spring Seller Update!

Yesterday, I received a return request.  The buyer said the item was not as described and proceed to write:  she wanted the shoes to be more brown.   I went back and reviewed my listing:   

I took 11 out of 12 pictures, described the shoes as brown...............So, I then ask myself what more could I have done to prevent this return........my answer : Nothing.   I therefore called eBay customer service and asked so , what more could I have done to prevent this return.   The eBay rep declared it was a remorse return, but I will have to wait (6) more days..............they said, they will instruct the buyer they will have to pay for the return shipping.    My question: Why should me, my family, my business lose money when someone was expecting someting other than what was advertised/promoted/described?    

What I use to and currently do to minimize returns.  Take clear pictures, take a lot of pictures from different angles, use clear lighting,  and carefully describe all flaws.    

So I ask all of you:  

What Are You Going To Do To Minimize Your Returns: (Is there anything you can do?)  After the 2018 Spring Seller Update!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: What Are You Going To Do To Minimize Your Returns: Is there anything you can do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lintbrush* wrote:

IIRC the blues here said that a snad return can be changed into a remorse return as long as there is some record of disagreement by the seller and the buyer's request is clearly remorse.  I thought it would be through member to member messages wherein they seller tells the buyer that they are as described - brown - with 11 pictures provided - and follows it up with a phone call to CS.

After the 3 business days, the seller is supposed to be able to ask eBay to step in where they close the SNAD in the seller's favor and let the buyer return it on their own dime

@orangehound

How long ago did that happen?  I know there were some changes made last year which weren't actually published but still policy changes.  I don't feel like thread hunting.

@Anonymous

Could you explain here how the process works now when a buyer uses SNAD for an actual, provable remorse return and what measure the seller needs to take in order to get it on record for the return type to be changed?  Thank you.

hi @lintbrush*, happy to clarify this process. If the buyer has selected a SNAD return reason in error and it can be clearly seen the reason for the return is remorse, then the seller can ask us to step in and take appropriate action. The option to have us step in is available after three full business days have passed from when the request was opened. 

If the seller has a return policy or has otherwise invited the return, we will authorize the return with no label being provided and no defect being recorded for the seller. This would not be the same as a case be closed in the seller's favor, as closing in the favor of the buyer or seller is when we take a final action to determine who either keeps or is refunded the money from the transaction. Authorizing the return with no defect to the seller or label being provided would protect the seller's account performance, but they would still be expected to issue a refund to the buyer when the item was returned to them.

If the seller does not have a return policy and has not invited the return in some way, we would close the case in the seller's favor with no refund being processed and no defect being recorded. Any further questions or concerns the buyer may have in this situation could be directed to eBay.

All a seller has to do when it is clear the buyer has remorse is ask eBay to step in when the option becomes available. If the buyer requests this before the seller is able to, we will take the same action as we review the messages in the case for appropriate resolutions. I do recommend that you report any concerns you have to us regarding the buyer's return reason so we can track for a pattern of abuse - mistakes and disagreements will happen related to the reason a request is opened, but a pattern of poor behavior can lead to a loss of protection within our program.

This change was put into place early last year after hearing feedback from our sellers. We worked to improve the return experience and expand our seller protection options.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Re: What Are You Going To Do To Minimize Your Returns: Is there anything you can do?

or have the option of selling certain items regionally.
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

IIRC the blues here said that a snad return can be changed into a remorse return as long as there is some record of disagreement by the seller and the buyer's request is clearly remorse.  I thought it would be through member to member messages wherein they seller tells the buyer that they are as described - brown - with 11 pictures provided - and follows it up with a phone call to CS.

After the 3 business days, the seller is supposed to be able to ask eBay to step in where they close the SNAD in the seller's favor and let the buyer return it on their own dime

@orangehound

How long ago did that happen?  I know there were some changes made last year which weren't actually published but still policy changes.  I don't feel like thread hunting.

@Anonymous

Could you explain here how the process works now when a buyer uses SNAD for an actual, provable remorse return and what measure the seller needs to take in order to get it on record for the return type to be changed?  Thank you.

hi @lintbrush*, happy to clarify this process. If the buyer has selected a SNAD return reason in error and it can be clearly seen the reason for the return is remorse, then the seller can ask us to step in and take appropriate action. The option to have us step in is available after three full business days have passed from when the request was opened. 

If the seller has a return policy or has otherwise invited the return, we will authorize the return with no label being provided and no defect being recorded for the seller. This would not be the same as a case be closed in the seller's favor, as closing in the favor of the buyer or seller is when we take a final action to determine who either keeps or is refunded the money from the transaction. Authorizing the return with no defect to the seller or label being provided would protect the seller's account performance, but they would still be expected to issue a refund to the buyer when the item was returned to them.

If the seller does not have a return policy and has not invited the return in some way, we would close the case in the seller's favor with no refund being processed and no defect being recorded. Any further questions or concerns the buyer may have in this situation could be directed to eBay.

All a seller has to do when it is clear the buyer has remorse is ask eBay to step in when the option becomes available. If the buyer requests this before the seller is able to, we will take the same action as we review the messages in the case for appropriate resolutions. I do recommend that you report any concerns you have to us regarding the buyer's return reason so we can track for a pattern of abuse - mistakes and disagreements will happen related to the reason a request is opened, but a pattern of poor behavior can lead to a loss of protection within our program.

This change was put into place early last year after hearing feedback from our sellers. We worked to improve the return experience and expand our seller protection options.

trinton@ebay if only you guys would protect us, from the inevitible negative feedback, from buyers **bleep** off that their SNAD was turned into a remorse return.

Also, It would have been much easier for you guys to be able to convert the case into a remorse return IN the return section, instead of having to escalate the case to the resoltuion center. And waiting 3 days for it to happen, is nonsense.  Not to mention, NOW, the second the tracking shows delivered, the buyer is AUTOMATICALLY refunded. We aren't even given a chance to look at the item returned. You guys claim you listened to seller feedback, but I highly doubt that, if this is the program you came up with.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@jpcustomsonlinewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

@orangehound

@Anonymous

trinton@ebay if only you guys would protect us, from the inevitible negative feedback, from buyers **bleep** off that their SNAD was turned into a remorse return.

Also, It would have been much easier for you guys to be able to convert the case into a remorse return IN the return section, instead of having to escalate the case to the resoltuion center. And waiting 3 days for it to happen, is nonsense.  Not to mention, NOW, the second the tracking shows delivered, the buyer is AUTOMATICALLY refunded. We aren't even given a chance to look at the item returned. You guys claim you listened to seller feedback, but I highly doubt that, if this is the program you came up with.

That's (supposedly) only when ebay steps in it and forces the return when the seller doesn't respond and/or refuses a SNAD return.

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@jpcustomsonlinewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@lintbrush*wrote:

@orangehound

@Anonymous

That's (supposedly) only when ebay steps in it and forces the return when the seller doesn't respond and/or refuses a SNAD return.

Yes, that's right. That's what was being discussed here. If a buyer opens up a SNAD case, that is actually a remorse return, ebay has to step in and force the return. So now, a normal return, turns into a big ole mess, and the refund becomes automatic, just because tracking shows delivered. Because the BUYER messed up, the seller gets penalized, under the guise of ebay helping us out, which is quite the farce. They either have some incompetant programers, that can't even do simple coding, or they are doing this on purpose. There is no reason why ebay can't set up the system to just convert the SNAD return to a standard Remorse return.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply