cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have NOT sold OR listed $1585 worth of items in August

Just did a post about 'and' vs 'or' and just notice this - the amount that ebay says that we have listed or already sold  in august -

IMG_0925.JPG

As far as we can tell ebay is counting items that were listed last month but were still active on 8/1 against our august monthly limit  -- NOT that it matters for us as we're never gonna list 2B in a month - but 'you' might.

We only list on thursdays - Doing 'real store stuff' this week so didn't list anything on 8/4, but listed 92 on 8/11 and now have 120 active. And sold four things since 8/1

So 120 plus 4 is 124 - ebay shows 125 'listed or sold' this month. Forget about the one that just disappeared, we have only listed 92 and sold 4 total.

And the dollar amount shows the same deal - last month's listings as part of this months limits.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: We have NOT sold OR listed $1585 worth of items in August

Fixed price listings also known as GTC [good till cancelled] renew each month.  So the message you got seems to be accurate.  I'm not sure how important one unaccounted for item in the calculation is.  

" last month's listings as part of this months limits."  Your FP listings renew every 30 days.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It's the previous thirty days, not calendar days. So that's July 14th as of today.

*edit* Wow, I posted JUST before midnight so make that the 15th. That's the cycle.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

OP here

We end ALL fixed price before they relist so that's not it.

And ANY listing that just disappears is important - this time it's one that disappeared,  last time it was 28 greeting cards that were ended before auto relisting and poof! they just fell of the earth. Had to redo all. 

We're so paranoid that we now open a second active page before we end stuff to have access to the ones that might disappear.

Nothing is more 'fun' then ending listings and then refreshing the unordered ... I mean unsold page and the count doesn't change.

Just like it's important that ebay has been glitching for at least two years and relists items we're sold weeks and even months ago - we're found the same sold listing reappearing on the active or unsold list THREE times. And stuff that was not just ended but deleted completely from the unsold page [and brought to the real wood & stucco store] reappear on it six? months later. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

since February or so, I've been looking at the stats provided in the seller hub, and though mostly not well defined, they have tended to be reasonably accurate.  There are a bevy of taxes, costs and fees that are included ore excluded semi-arbitrarily, but they are reasonably close to the books I keep separately.

One that has me baffled is in the "Seller Level" metrics "Tracking uploaded on time and validated" which is currently at 19.09%.  Since I rarely send via tracked mail, and never upload the tracking number to eBay, I have no idea what the 19% refers to. 

I also handle my shipping totally independent from eBay and have to update the "item shipped"  status manually.  Maybe 10% of the time I see a "shipping overdue" warning because I didn't update the status quickly enough.  My "Late shipment rate" is 0.00%, which does not make sense either.

I take all their metrics with a big grain of salt.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

OP here

It can't be the previous 30 days as the numbers don't work. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@steve_stuff 

You currently have 120 active items that I can see, all listed since July 14. A quick count of your completed listings shows 223 ended items (sold and unsold) that were listed since July 14. So that makes a total of 343 items "listed or sold" in the last 30 days. All listings are included; GTC, fixed price, auction, active, sold and unsold.

The dollar amount would be the sum total of the value of all of those 343 items, which I 'm not going to calculate.

These may be an underestimate, because eBay does not include all ended items in the completed-items search; only those which ended "organically" because they feel that items which did not end organically may not represent a valid price or value. Also, newly listed or revised items may not show up in search for up to 24 hours (usually much less, but sometimes more). However, they still include all items in calculating your selling/listing limits.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

As far as we can tell ebay is counting items that were listed last month but were still active on 8/1 against our august monthly limit.

I believe a seller's monthly limit is applied to the cumulative amount of everything he has listed on his account that month, not just the new items that he lists that month. 

If you list a $1,000 item and end it and then list another $1,000 item, I think that counts as $2,000 toward your monthly limit. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If the item is active one day of the month then it counts, mine say something like "35,248 listed and sold / 63,000 limit on quantity of items" on the very first of the month even.

Items that automatically relist do not increase this counter as far as I can tell, however items that you manually end and then relist seem to increase this counter.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

OP

"A quick count of your completed listings shows 223 ended items (sold and unsold) that were listed since July 14." 

"So that makes a total of 343 items "listed or sold" in the last 30 days. All listings are included; GTC, fixed price, auction, active, sold and unsold."

Ebay in it's infinite wisdom has decided that fixed price AKA 'good till canceled' listing that are 'ended early' aren't 'completed' AKA unsold, but 'ended' - Ended early fixed price/gtc listing ARE NOT shown on the completed page ... as they were never completed, just 'ended' - There isn't even a 'fixed price/gtc' listed under 'format' on the left, just all, auction and buy it now.

Pick any of our active fixed price - that "1 Original CBS..." on the top will work. We opened it and checked  it's 'birthdate' - when it was first written - and it's 7/18/19, so it's been going up for sale for years and has been a fixed price since sometime late 2020.  Now try to find it on the completed page. Try to find any of the active fixed price on the completed list. None are there.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

OP

"A quick count of your completed listings shows 223 ended items (sold and unsold) that were listed since July 14." 

"So that makes a total of 343 items "listed or sold" in the last 30 days. All listings are included; GTC, fixed price, auction, active, sold and unsold."

Ebay in it's infinite wisdom has decided that fixed price AKA 'good till canceled' listing that are 'ended early' aren't 'completed' AKA unsold, but 'ended' - Ended early fixed price/gtc listing ARE NOT shown on the completed page ... as they were never completed, just 'ended' - There isn't even a 'fixed price/gtc' listed under 'format' on the left, just all, auction and buy it now.

Pick any of our active fixed price - that "1 Original CBS..." on the top will work. We opened it and checked  it's 'birthdate' - when it was first written - and it's 7/18/19, so it's been going up for sale for years and has been a fixed price since sometime late 2020.  Now try to find it on the completed page. Try to find any of the active fixed price on the completed list. None are there.

Yes, I said that.

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@steve_stuff 

These may be an underestimate, because eBay does not include all ended items in the completed-items search; only those which ended "organically" because they feel that items which did not end organically may not represent a valid price or value. Also, newly listed or revised items may not show up in search for up to 24 hours (usually much less, but sometimes more). However, they still include all items in calculating your selling/listing limits.

The listing you mentioned was started Thurs Jun 16, 2022 10:00 PDT (17:00 UTC). If you first listed it on 7/18/2019, then you must have ended and relisted it each month since then. As I said, the previous listing was not ended organically (that's eBay's term for it) so it doesn't show up in the completed items search. Your ended-and-relisted items still count towards your limits though.

image.png

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

OP

So you and others are saying it's not a monthly count, like ebay labels it, but a 30 days running count that restarts every day.

Sounds like classic ebay wording, like when we schedule stuff and the pop up says 'x listing are now live' - no they're not, they're scheduled. We think to most people monthly would means 'within a month'  and 'live' are active and up for sale.

And it was an 'auction only' from 7/16/18 till at some point a 'bin' was added for 'x' amount of time [relists] then it was  converted to fixed price sometime earlier this year.

At this point in time I'm gonna recreate the missing one - figured out it's one of the brand new first time listing that was up for sale two days? before poof'ing away.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I think eBay counts “profits” as far back as 3 months. Really, the system should be changed to be more accurate because the real small profit is never shown and is jumbled with all the other costs, shipping and cost of an item and fees and taxes.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

There are much easier ways to refresh listings without having to end them all and then relist them.  Your method can get time consuming and errors easily made especially if there are multiple quantities on any of your listings because when you relist it, it does not take any sales you may have had into consideration.

You can more easily refresh your listings by bulk editing something in your listings.  Most anything will do.  

For example you could change your handling time to 2 days.  In 24 to 48 hours all your listings would be reindexed.  Then if you wanted to change it back to 1 day you can certainly do that or wait until next month.  It wouldn't hurt your listings since you choose not to have your listing qualify for the TRS discount.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@salezcity wrote:

I think eBay counts “profits” as far back as 3 months. Really, the system should be changed to be more accurate because the real small profit is never shown and is jumbled with all the other costs, shipping and cost of an item and fees and taxes.

I'm not sure what you are speaking to.  Ebay doesn't know what the "profit" of any given seller is as they don't have all the information to make that distinction.  They only have the costs incurred through their site.  That does not determine "profit".

Taxes are paid by the buyer not the seller.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply