cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way too many unpaid items lately. If you don't want it, don't bid!

I have been getting lots of unpaid sales lately. When this happens I lose the other bids as well. Ebay use to make it harder for a buyer to pull this, now it happens all the time since there are no repercussions that I am aware of.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can enable I think now on your listings that buyer must enter a payment method BEFORE they are allowed to bid. Check this out. It helps weed out the one’s who are just playing around with no intention to buy.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you cannot enable this on your account now it may be because they are still testing this out with many sellers and may not have gotten to your account yet.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@laurabeardsley 

Good morning, Laura

Sorry for your situation.  Yes, I agree...if you can't pay for it (or won't) don't bid.  Ebay is bombarded with sport and non paying bidders who go out of their way to make a hard working sellers efforts harder for them. 

The only thing that I can advise is that you ditch the auctions and use a fixed, buy it now price with immediate payment required and NO best offers.  You will see less of these types taking up your precious time and hard work.  I stopped with auctions years ago due to what you are experiencing and now when I have a sale, I always get paid.  Hang in there and have a better day.

Happy Selling!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If you don't want unpaid items, enable automatic payment if it's available to you. 

If it is not yet available to you, just stop running auctions.  You know the value of what you're selling, which is why  most of your auctions end with one or two bids.  Just list fixed price, immediate payment required, and do not entertain offers.  Do that, and 95% of the people just mucking about for entertainment will be gone from your life.

Most people don't like auctions, anyhow.  They see it, they want to buy it and have it shipped.  Sales on eBay that are by auction is below 15%.

If you occasionally make a mistake in pricing and let something go for less than it might have fetched at auction, just think of it as a small price to pay for the lack of hassle that you're having with auctions.

-

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I 100% agree with your title, I really don't understand what you are saying in the message body.

@laurabeardsley wrote:

I have been getting lots of unpaid sales lately. When this happens I lose the other bids as well. Ebay use to make it harder for a buyer to pull this, now it happens all the time since there are no repercussions that I am aware of.

But you have been given good advice, BIN is much more straightforward for buyers and sellers.  You choose the price and only have to worry if it will be appealing to buyers.  Good luck to you with  your future sales.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You can enable I think now on your listings that buyer must enter a payment method BEFORE they are allowed to bid. Check this out. It helps weed out the one’s who are just playing around with no intention to buy.

It is available to some under their account selling preferences but it has two parts first the seller has to enable the option but at present it is apparently limited to a certain buyer pool and I have no idea how eBay figured out how to put which buyers into the pool. There are also some reported issues with regards to the buyers ability to select payment options for different purchases. It also has the same issues with multiple purchases and combined shipping that often pop up with BIN/IPR. But if you wish to enable it from your account settings under selling preferences edit the manage who can buy from you and enable the option down near the bottom. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1694526771886.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1694526822017.png

I use the auction format almost exclusively for a number of reasons the main one being time management.  On occasion I get a non-payer but the non-payers are just something that you have to deal with on occasion if you use the auction format. I much prefer a non-paying buyer who may have changed their mind or found it cheaper elsewhere as opposed to a BIN transaction where the buyer  waits for the order to arrive and then immediately opens a return request or a NAD case. 

That process takes a LOT longer than the 4-5 days it takes to deal with a non-payer and relist the item. Plus it may actually also cost you for the return postage and potentially the eBay fees. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

There are repercussions.  Are you not using the tools eBay gives you?

If a buyer hasn't paid in 96 hours, the seller can cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.

Or, the seller can set his listings so that this happen automatically.  

That buyer get a strike.  Two or more strikes in 12 months and smart sellers have their requirements set so they do not have to deal with that buyer.

It's hard to believe that an experienced seller, such as yourself, is not following the protocol.

You may not feel it's enough, but it's the only tool available to sellers presently.  Why not use it? 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

I dont understand this trend at all - What is the point, and who has the time this day and age to sit around bidding on commodities they don't intend to pay for?

My question is, given the way companies report sales and revenue, do these "NON-SALES" actually show some boost in sales numbers and users for the company, making it beneficial for a company to have a lot of this going on? And if so, what are some conclusions you might come up with as to actually why unpaid sales appears to be such an issue? Some of the conclusions you may come up with are downright scary...

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

All that stockholders generally care about would be income.  Nonsales don't generate income.

In what way could it be beneficial to not be paid? 

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you insist on running auctions rather than BINs, you will have nonpayers.  eBay offers you a solution.  If you don't use it, that's on you, not on eBay or anyone else.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

Ebay is bombarded with sport and non paying bidders who go out of their way to make a hard working sellers efforts harder for them. 

I don't even think it's sport a lot of the time. I think it's far more likely that with auctions for common, readily-available items what happens is that you get buyers bidding on multiple auctions for the same thing and then they pay for the one that they win for the cheapest.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I don't even think it's sport a lot of the time. I think it's far more likely that with auctions for common, readily-available items what happens is that you get buyers bidding on multiple auctions for the same thing and then they pay for the one that they win for the cheapest.

Totally agree. They could have also changed their mind, found it cheaper locally, they died, they ended up in a hospital, they were sidetracked by a family emergency, they were hit by a natural disaster and could not access the internet...........  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply