cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out for new scams!

ja_customs
Enthusiast

Yesterday, a buyer opened a case asking for a refund because item was not delivered. So I called post office and I was told the package was held at post office AT THE REQUEST OF THE COSTUMER! So the buyer called the post office to hold her package, turned around asking for a refund from me, if I refunded her, she will go get her package at the post office and get it for free! If this happened to you, don’t refund buyers immediately, talk to eBay first! They can check the carrier status and use is as evidence for your case. Soooooo many scammers on eBay, watch out sellers!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Watch out for new scams!

Do a recall on the package.  You'll have to pay (I think $15).  Wait until you see that it's on it's way back to you.  

That's your only change to get it back.  

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Yes there are many scammers. I would let them know I called the post office and they said it was being held per their request.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Now that excuse is the fault of USPS.  The tracking should say delivered to PO.  That is a legit entry and it means it was delivered to the buyer.  

Have you looked at the tracking to see what it says?  If it doesn't say that, you should call them back and ask them to update the tracking appropriately.  And if they had already updated the tracking, the buyer could have never won the INR anyway unless the seller just took their word for it and refunded the buyer.  Which a seller should never do.

Dealing with INRs are like dealing with INADs.  Sometimes you do want to wait and let Ebay step in.  If the tracking shows delivered, they won't win.  Even if it says delivered at PO.

So your place to start is to look at the tracking and see what it says.  I hope you will come back and update the thread with that information.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Wow, before, scammers were asking to text/email for fake payment. Everyone knew at first thought that it was a scam. But they've gotten smarter. Thanks for sharing this new (at least for me) scam to everyone. 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Hi @ja_customs 

USPS tracking info should have shown something about the package being received and held by the buyer's local PO.  What does tracking show?

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@justafemster wrote:

Do a recall on the package.  You'll have to pay (I think $15).  Wait until you see that it's on it's way back to you.  

That's your only change to get it back.  

Oh no, there is no need to go through that additional expense.  All you need is the PO to appropriately update the tracking as delivered to PO.  Same as delivered to buyer.  

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Tracking only shows “held at post office “, it doesn’t say why, I had to call post office to find out it was at the request of costumer. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Yep, they are getting smarter for sure, be aware and stay safe! 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@ja_customs wrote:

Tracking only shows “held at post office “, it doesn’t say why, I had to call post office to find out it was at the request of costumer. 

You might want to call them back and get them to expand upon that entry and add by buyer's request just to be safe.

It may be OK they way they have entered it as people can ask POs to hold their mail when they know they will be away for a few days.

But to be sure, let's find out.

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I don’t know what eBay is going to do yet because the case was opened yesterday. But I’m glad I talked to eBay first and they have the evidence. I don’t want the item back, I’d have to pay for return shipping too😭😭

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@ja_customs wrote:

Yep, they are getting smarter for sure, be aware and stay safe! 

I don't think this buyer is as smart as they think they are.  This one is leaning more in your favor IMHO.  Unless you voluntarily refund them, which I certainly would not advise.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

You are right, I’m going to message the scammer and tell her I have evidence!

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@ja_customs wrote:

I don’t know what eBay is going to do yet because the case was opened yesterday. But I’m glad I talked to eBay first and they have the evidence. I don’t want the item back, I’d have to pay for return shipping too😭😭

If it gets returned to you, you only have to pay for return shipping if you originally shipped it Media Mail.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

if your a true seller which I will not look up, sounds like a new scam!

I do question calling the post office comment? You really need to go to the post office and speak to someone in person.

Tracking? Signature required? 

to have a package held tells me the buyer is on vacation or faking it!

If they don't pick up. Item should be returned to you eventually. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply