cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty

Sellers should be aware that the legal responsibility to provide a complete scope of a product warranty falls directly on the sales merchant of any product claiming to have a warranty. The complete warranty information must be provided either on the product package if purchased in a brick and mortar or it must be made available to the consumer at the point of sale or on the sellers website prior to sale. This is by law per the Federal Trade Commission. You are required to have this information clearly available on your site with the products that claim a warranty. Hopefully you find this information helpful. Just look up the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

ebay needs to implement this into their policies.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Warranty

Have you read Ebays warranty policy?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/warranties-policy?id=4245

If a seller offers a warranty, they have to include the information in their listings.

If you find a listing that doesn't provide the warranty information, you can report the listing.

A lot of sellers from China claim their items have a warranty, but they are about as good as the items they are selling.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Warranty

Most sellers are the original owners of the product, and most manufacturers only honor their warranty for the original owner, not the second owner purchasing the item.  The exception is when the seller is an authorized seller for the manufacturer, and then the warranty is valid.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

Majored of ebay sellers aren't  retailers  with B/M   ,they  are second market  or  private . that are selling  their stuff they bought long a go.  There are no warranty's covered or offered  when buying from them  .    if any where  stated  that done by  ebay themselves  without   seller permission .    

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

If I'm looking for an item with a warranty, I always go to the manufactures site or an authorized dealer.

Ebay is the last place I look for any items I expect to last very long.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

As others here have stated, there's no warranty expressed or implied in a secondary market, which defines the greater percentage of ebay's membership.  Your post might be more applicable on Amazon, where many corporate entities sell their wares.  Not much room to play Ralph Nader here.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

@bariful_peuy5zny 

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but the only sure warranty on ebay is the 30-day MBG. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

You may want to get a little more familiar with the law.  That is where I get my information from and I did share that I my previous comment.  You may look it up.

To help you comprehend the legal aspects of this better I will be very clear.  If you offer any product for sale,  you are not obligated to provide a warranty at all but if you do offer a warranty, ( one year warranty, five year warranty, Ten year warranty, lifetime warranty or any other warranty in addition to any existing boilerplate warranty expressed by any specific platform) above the existing boilerplate warranty expressed on any specific platform then you are BY LAW obligated to provide the complete scope of said warranty and it must be in a simple and clear communication,  provided at the point of sale or have a link provided that will take the consumer to the warranty page.

Know your laws.   Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 
You can also review and learn these regulations by looking up the FTC laws.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

Thank you for that information.

I will take the appropriate action.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

Oh and by the way, what eBay offers is a guarantee not a warranty.

Do you understand the difference?

obviously not.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

Warranty....I have one on my computer where I bought the computer...at an Apple Store.

And they have been good to be...as well as my iPhone.

I would never pay for a warranty here...a telephone number is all you get for a warranty here for an item on sale here.

Not sure if you had a bad experience or what.

Common sense has to be used...with warranties.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

Have you read Ebays warranty policy?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/warranties-policy?id=4245

If a seller offers a warranty, they have to include the information in their listings.

If you find a listing that doesn't provide the warranty information, you can report the listing.

A lot of sellers from China claim their items have a warranty, but they are about as good as the items they are selling.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

I agree that I typically would not purchase an extended warranty however I have found that there are benefits to having a warranty and it is important to understand the expectations of any warranty provided by a manufacturer or merchant.

I have had many very good experiences with warranties and a few rough ones that in the end, worked out in my favor as a result of knowing the laws that regulate warranties.

Best regards.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

I have not read their warranty policies but I certainly will now. Thank you for providing that link.

I have just noticed that there are several merchants that advertise warranties here but don’t provide any warranty details.

I was under the impression that eBay doesn’t monitor this issue.

Thanks for sharing.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Warranty

@bariful_peuy5zny wrote:

You may want to get a little more familiar with the law.  

Know your laws.   Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 

I have been buying and selling on eBay since 2000 and I have never bought or sold anything that claimed it had a warranty, so I will happily decline your invitation "know your laws" when it comes to the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975. 

@bariful_peuy5zny wrote:

ebay needs to implement this into their policies.

Know your policies. It sounds like eBay already did this. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply