cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want List

I joined eBay back in 2001. In the community section, there was a thread titled WANT LIST. Buyers and Sellers could post an item or object they were looking for and maybe someone would have one to sell. Is there anything today on eBay like the Want List? Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Want List

I don't think so, but it would benefit buyers and sellers if there were. Problem is though, getting everyone to agree on price. You might be looking for a widget, Seller A may post one for sale, and it's too pricey. Now no one buys it, and like millions of other things listed here, it just clutters up the system. 

I find it's best to just keep scouting the internet for things you want. I keep an eye on local auctions too. I've bought many things for myself and to sell, that locals didn't want or value. Some things locally, sell way higher then here. I've bought a brand new 555 paper tape machine that's 1500 new, for 200 bucks. It was brand new. Bought a doubloon collection for 20 bucks in auction, that sold for 10x the price. One platform will not have all the stuff you are looking for, nor will it necessarily be the best price. We are in a global market today. Long gone are the days eBay is the "go to" for just anything really. In the earlier days, it was the place to find ANYTHING. Not anymore, unfortunately. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Want List

Went the way of the dodo bird.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Want List

eBay ended that page long ago…too many problems.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Want List

eBay eventually did away with that feature as users posting there were inundated with spam and scam messages that had nothing to do with the items being sought.

If you create a search for what you are looking for, you can save the search and set it to alert you if someone lists something that matches your search criteria.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Want List

That went away over fifteen years ago.  Never did work out.  Either you were spammed with items that had nothing to do with what you were looking for or, scammers tried to make off eBay transactions.

I had listed a few items on it but, never got anything but spam.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Want List

eBay did away with it for two good reasons:  First, people were using it to set up off-eBay deals and to direct buyers to non-eBay websites.  Second, people who said they wanted this or that thing were spammed stupid.

It just did not work, and it will never be tried again.

-

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Want List

I don't think so, but it would benefit buyers and sellers if there were. Problem is though, getting everyone to agree on price. You might be looking for a widget, Seller A may post one for sale, and it's too pricey. Now no one buys it, and like millions of other things listed here, it just clutters up the system. 

I find it's best to just keep scouting the internet for things you want. I keep an eye on local auctions too. I've bought many things for myself and to sell, that locals didn't want or value. Some things locally, sell way higher then here. I've bought a brand new 555 paper tape machine that's 1500 new, for 200 bucks. It was brand new. Bought a doubloon collection for 20 bucks in auction, that sold for 10x the price. One platform will not have all the stuff you are looking for, nor will it necessarily be the best price. We are in a global market today. Long gone are the days eBay is the "go to" for just anything really. In the earlier days, it was the place to find ANYTHING. Not anymore, unfortunately. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Want List

Amazon had a similar function, not through their forums.

Buyers could post their wants and an offer price and the transaction could be handled as a normal Amazon sale.

It was full of insulting low ball offers to take advantage of the congenitally ignorant sellers. And yes they were often taken advantage of. And the list was so large to be worthless.

It was, as they say in Amazonese, deprecated.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Want List

I remember the political thread and the wars that would break out between members who disagreed. eBay was more tolerant back then and it took quite allot to get booted for a few days. It finally got so bad eBay pulled the plug and that was the end.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Want List

Have always just searched for what I wanted.  If it doesn't turn up with my search, I can click something like "let me know if one like this is listed".  Does that not happen any more.  Had to ask because it's been a long time since I have used that feature.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Want List

Thanks, everyone for the awesome answers! I'm not looking for anything right now, but appreciate the suggestions for in the future. I own a vendors market and have used public auctions, online auctions, eBay and other venues to replenish my inventory. I also do eBay as a seller. Thanks again! This community has always been the best tool eBay has to offer!

xo

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Want List

I have such crazy ideas.

If someone wanted something why not do a search for it to see if someone is selling one?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Want List

@inhawaii wrote:

I have such crazy ideas.

If someone wanted something why not do a search for it to see if someone is selling one?

A buyer thinks this way. Sometimes though, they can't find what they are looking for. 

If I wanted something from a category you sell in, wouldn't you rather hear what people are looking for, to make money? If I wanted something that could only be found in Hawaii, I would ask you. But I know where you live too. Most buyers have no idea what sellers may sell or what they have access to. 

You comment is not really fluid with what a seller should be thinking. Most sellers spend LOTS of time trying to figure out what to sell. They try to get into the mind of buyers, because they are here to sell and make money. Most sellers have an overload of back stock (aka death piles). I guess the idea of actually selling what buyers are looking for, doesn't enter the mind of some people. This is the reason that eBay has millions of listings that don't sell, and a metric poop load of sellers complaining about no and low sales. 

I think the idea of a wanted section would work well here, but it would need to have parameters attached. One being what a buyer is looking for and a range of price they are willing to pay. I think too, it would assist buyers and sellers if sellers got notified about wants if they chose to, in the categories they select. This way if you sell food items and a buyer is looking for something, it gives you the opportunity to source it and sell it. Buyer gets what they want, you get a sale, and eBay makes fees. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply