cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreasonable Buyer and eBay's Contradicting Responses

A Buyer opened a case against me 29+ days after receiving his item; he said he just got around to inspecting the item I sent him and that "it was damaged in transit (please read further; his story changes)." He purchased a Disney print and wrote to say the matt board backing has corner bumps (which I showed in my listing) and the print has " not terribly noticeable" pressure marks from the packaging. He said, " I do like the print, but I am a bit disappointed that I didn't quite get what I paid for due to the packing job..." Initially, he did not want to return the print but seemed to be fishing for a partial refund. I shipped it insured. I have a No Returns policy. I contacted eBay Customer Service. I was told his case against me was opened past the 30 days Money Back Guarantee policy-and not to worry. I messaged him and told him to take the print to the post office and file a claim if he was unhappy. I was not going to accept the return of the print or give him a refund. Literally less than 2 hours later, I got a notice from eBay that I approved the Return of the print (which I never did) and I would be charged for the return shipping. I called eBay again. This time the rep said the Buyer was within his rights to return the print-and he apologized for what I was wrongly told by the eBay rep the first time I called. I told the second rep the Buyer's claims were bogus-and why and that I would not accept a Return. I also told the Buyer if he sends me the print, I would refuse to accept it. I then discovered a hold was placed on funds in my PayPal account because of this situation. After 10+ years , I decided I'm through with eBay. I took down my eBay listings with the goal of no longer selling on eBay and tried to close my PayPal account-which I can't do because of the hold on my account. I called PayPal and told them about the situation. I said I would put a stop payment in at my bank to prevent the Buyer from getting my money, if necessary. The PayPal rep graciously said she understood the difficulties I'm having and helped me to understand that the Buyer can still get a Refund, even if it's after the 30 days. She explained I'm basically like a store-like Walmart and have to give refunds. She said I really have no control over what a Buyer does. She kindly authorized funds to cover the amount the Buyer will get, paid for by PayPal, in recognition of the many years I have been a customer.  I can then close my account with them and eBay. I am deeply grateful to the lady at PayPal. I have been an eBay member since Jun-13-99 with thousands of transactions and a 99.7% positive feedback rating but I am truly done with eBay, its poor customer service and its anti-seller policies.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unreasonable Buyer and eBay's Contradicting Responses

So glad you got good results from Paypal and are not out anything.  Thank God for that!  I'm sorry to hear you plan to leave but I understand.  You have to do what you have to do.

You might want to reconsider if you have been here such a long time, but your call.

If you decide to stay, not accepting delivery would not make a difference.  The buyer has done all they can to send it back to you, and ebay will consider that refusal as being delivered, because it would have been had you not refused it.  

Hope that makes sense.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Cant say I blame you.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

So glad you got good results from Paypal and are not out anything.  Thank God for that!  I'm sorry to hear you plan to leave but I understand.  You have to do what you have to do.

You might want to reconsider if you have been here such a long time, but your call.

If you decide to stay, not accepting delivery would not make a difference.  The buyer has done all they can to send it back to you, and ebay will consider that refusal as being delivered, because it would have been had you not refused it.  

Hope that makes sense.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I really can't say anything favorable to make you stay selling on Ebay. I just know that you have to make the better decision for you, not for anybody else.

I have something to say: Events, scenarios that play in your life are precious moments, whether they are good or bad, and whether you react positively is up to you.

Good luck in your next endeavor. There are better things to do than being stuck here. 

latest reply

In the event of refusing delivery, you would be out the item and your money.

Did you get your print back?   Well, at least you did get your money back.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Totally understand your complaint, just an opinion, you say you think they were fishing for a partial, never a good idea to state in feedback replies partial offered, opens this scenario up for every buyer you may deal with if they think easy money is there to be had.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@historyfinder wrote:

A Buyer opened a [return request] against me 29+ days after receiving his item

I was not going to accept the return of the print or give him a refund. Literally less than 2 hours later, I got a notice from eBay that I approved the Return of the print (which I never did) and I would be charged for the return shipping.

Did the eBay notice actually say that @historyfinder that you approved the return: How did you Approve the return when you never clicked Accept the return in the return request?

Could it be that your 3 business days to resolve the request had already expired, so the buyer was able to ask eBay to step in.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The first Customer Service rep said to message the Buyer and tell him I was not going to accept the Return and he should take the item to the post office to start an insurance claim. eBay would tell him the same. I messaged him through the Case he opened against me, which, I was told later, was a mistake because it was only interpreted as a willingness to accept a return. The rep said I should have contacted him outside of the Open Case process (which, again, I didn't know and wasn't told originally). I didn't know what happened or why until the notice popped up telling me I had accepted a Return.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

After 10+ years you should have been aware of ebay buyer protection policies including that buyer has 30 full days from delivery to file a claim(and insurance claims are best handled by the seller/shipper not the buyer because they have buyer protection thru ebay and paypal)and that it trumps your return policy.You say claims are bogus but you can not prove that so you lose

Have your funds been released?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I'd like to respectfully state I believe you've done a few things wrong.

First, as a long time member with thousands of transactions, you should have had a plan in place to accept an occasional return. (not fall for partial refunds)

If a buyer complains their item isn't as describe, simply tell them you'll accept the return and be willing to pay for the return postage.   Your dozens, if not hundreds of successful sales here should make it able for you to absorb this loss.

Next, telling the buyer to file a claim with the USPS isn't how it should be.  Buyers have the money back guarantee here.  It's up to the seller to file the claim if the package they sent is damaged.

Also, it does sound like you didn't respond to the case within the three days, which is why it defaulted to you 'accepting' the return.

So... stating that it was bad to respond to the buyer inside the case was the wrong decision.. is not valid.

I know this one transaction has bothered you a lot, but many of us feel that sellers need to anticipate such an occasional 'bad' sale, and realize returns are inevitable.  No matter whose 'fault' it is.

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

No, but thank you for helping me to better understand this situation.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your interest and response. I appreciate Matthew 7:5, etc. following what you said. I really let my anger get in the way of "sense."
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@historyfinder wrote:
The first Customer Service rep said to message the Buyer and tell him I was not going to accept the Return

I messaged him through the Case he opened against me, which, I was told later, was a mistake because it was only interpreted as a willingness to accept a return.

The rep said I should have contacted him outside of the Open Case process (which, again, I didn't know and wasn't told originally).

I didn't know what happened or why until the notice popped up telling me I had accepted a Return.

Perhaps in a frenzy the second or the third time through @historyfinder you clicked  "Send Reply" at the bottom right-hand corner

without realizing that the "Accept the Return" option was already selected?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

There is certainly that possibility. Thank you.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply