cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid items case closed but shipping cost not included

So, earliest in the week I asked a question regarding unpaid items and whether I could safely block the buyer before I opened the case. I wasn't sure if the buyer would be able to pay but was assured they could. I am glad I followed the given advice.

This morning, I received 'glad 'tidings from eBay that my two items were finally paid for and the cases were closed. Great...except, shipping for both items shows as Free. Clearly in my original listings for the two items, I state that buyer pays for shipping. When I sent the original invoice, I combined shipping, and as one of the items is heavy, it is going to cost as much as one of my sales. Since buyer ignored the invoice and I opened the unpaid items cases, the buyer just paid for each item. No shipping. I don't know if the notice sent to these buyers even shows shipping costs. So, yes, I got paid, but am going to lose out on $$ since this buyer is getting free shipping from me which I didn't expect!!!

Another lesson in selling for me. Thank you for the advice given here for us sellers as we wade into these weird transactions! I am so, so relieved that I blocked this buyer. Three times in one month from this person and three unpaid item cases! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Unpaid items case closed but shipping cost not included

The UPI the buyer gets has a pay now button, which the buyer can click to pay.

Let's ask eBay staff to assist you with getting your shipping charges paid @Anonymous and to figure out how to stop this from happening.  The pay now button either (1) should not be available (either in the email or on the listing) for the buyer to use once a revised invoice has been issued, or 2) the pay now button should incorporate the revised invoice amount into the amount of the payment required.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

wrote:

So, earliest in the week I asked a question regarding unpaid items and whether I could safely block the buyer before I opened the case. I wasn't sure if the buyer would be able to pay but was assured they could. I am glad I followed the given advice.

This morning, I received 'glad 'tidings from eBay that my two items were finally paid for and the cases were closed. Great...except, shipping for both items shows as Free. Clearly in my original listings for the two items, I state that buyer pays for shipping. When I sent the original invoice, I combined shipping, and as one of the items is heavy, it is going to cost as much as one of my sales. Since buyer ignored the invoice and I opened the unpaid items cases, the buyer just paid for each item. No shipping. I don't know if the notice sent to these buyers even shows shipping costs. So, yes, I got paid, but am going to lose out on $$ since this buyer is getting free shipping from me which I didn't expect!!!

Another lesson in selling for me. Thank you for the advice given here for us sellers as we wade into these weird transactions! I am so, so relieved that I blocked this buyer. Three times in one month from this person and three unpaid item cases! 

You "STATE" that buyer pays the shipping?  Was the shipping set to calculated or a fixed rate entered?  Or did you just have a statement in the description that buyer pays shipping?

If you left the shipping blank you may be out of luck.  eBay likely treats a blank amount for shipping as free shipping. 

You can't ADD shipping $$ to an order AFTER the order has been placed (even before payment).  You may only DISCOUNT the shipping on an invoice.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Hi @triplel-j, I apologize but I'm not clear on a couple of details in your situation. Were your items originally listed with free shipping? Did you discount or add to the shipping cost in the invoice you sent? You may need to contact Customer Service to have the original listings reviewed more fully, but I'm happy to help look into this here if you can give me some more information.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Before replying here, I went back to read the emailed invoice I sent to the buyer for the two items, as well as my original listings. The original listings show Calculated shipping; the updated invoice I filled out and sent to the buyer DOES show the shipping cost for both items-$10+ and total amount due. Invoice has the Pay Now button.

I don't know what happened but thank you for responding.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hello, thank you for offering to help. I did not offer Free Shipping in my original listings for the 2 items sold. One was for First Class as the item (a 5" X 7" canvas panel painting) is lightweight and the other (a vintage horse tie rack) was Priority, I think. When the buyer bid and won both items, I sent one invoice for both things which showed shipping cost which was $10 and change. I received a copy of that email which shows the total of 2 items plus shipping. Invoice has the Pay Now button. 

On on my Sold Item page and Order Details, the two items have Free Shipping. I don't know how that happened.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The Pay Now button appeared in the invoice I sent for the 2 items plus Shipping.

Thanks for your help!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Trinton@ebay Thank you for your help. I wrote further messages here but am not sure if you saw them. Please check. I have to ship the two items to the buyer this week but if someone can figure out why they didn't pay shipping when I sent the email invoice which shows shipping was $10+, I would appreciate it. I don't know where the error occurred.
Thanks, again.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply