cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy eBay doesn't allow true feedback against buyers

When did eBay stop allowing sellers to leave negative feedback on buyers, and only allowing you to "report" them?

I have a buyer who has scammed me for a discount (I could go into the specifics of what an awful buyer he has been from before he even won the auction - I attempted to block him from bidding, but the block didn't go through), claiming the item didn't work when I tested it right before I boxed it up for shipping and know, 100% that it worked just fine and even have video of me using the item recently. But he gets to keep his perfect 100% feedback score.

How is this at all fair or transparent?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When did eBay stop allowing sellers to leave negative feedback on buyers, and only allowing you to "report" them?

When a buyer asks for a discount all you have to say is" no partials refunds."

If you are not happy,send it back and upon receipt you will be refunded.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Sorry to hear that you went through this.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It was a clown show circus when ebay did allow sellers to leave any retaliatory feedback they wished. They are well rid of that.

They were late to discover that allowing public shaming through the feedback system was not making buyers want to spend more money.

I used to see some pretty crazy feedbacks from sellers and it was shameful. It is far better to have the internal mechanisms in place

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Unlike sellers, eBay has no way to identify buyers.  All it takes to buy is an email address, and a buyer can get a new one in a matter of seconds from gmail. 

If eBay allowed negative feedback for buyers, they would simply create a new account and wipe the slate clean.

It's not. But with a hefty increase in listings and buying levels staying flat, eBay needs buyers a lot more than they need sellers. And until that changes, eBay will never be fair or transparent. 

And given that reality, sellers must decide whether it is worth it to stay here. Most seem to be. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Considering how awful many sellers are and how occasionally they remove neutral or neg I leave for those awful sellers, seems it goes both ways.  It'd scare me to have sellers leave me feedback because some of them are sick, twisted people who will harass and stalk me for months after leaving fair and appropriate feedback for them.  Has happened more than a few times in 10 years. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nriddle9 wrote:

I have a buyer who has scammed me for a discount (I could go into the specifics of what an awful buyer he has been from before he even won the auction - I attempted to block him from bidding, but the block didn't go through), claiming the item didn't work when I tested it right before I boxed it up for shipping and know, 100% that it worked just fine and even have video of me using the item recently. But he gets to keep his perfect 100% feedback score.

It is eBay's position that a business does not rate or evaluate it's customers. That, if you go to Walmart and buy something, break it and then return it saying it came that way, Walmart says nothing about you, or any other customer.

This is somewhat BIZARRE since that is exactly what eBay does to it's customers.  We are endlessly evaluated by eBay and God help us if we don't measure up.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Also as far as transactions go, most of the time it's not the sick and twisted people against other sick and twisted people. The problems occur most often when it is a good guy and a bad guy. Given that we know bad buyers leave bad feedback for good sellers, allowing sellers to leave bad feedback would just double the pool of potential victims.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It's been a decade. It's time to move on.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yep, funny part is, as someone who buys and sells, I cannot recall a single instance where I had a buyer do the things I have had some sellers do.  I can recall at least 4 instances where I had a disturbing issue with a crazy seller.  Months of harassment.   Concerted efforts to slander and destroy my business.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply