cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair feedback scoring system

I'm trying to reach out to all the sellers on eBay, who also think feedback scoring system is absolutely unfair to sellers and we should do something about.

For example, for the last 3 years, I had over 7000 transaction but only got about 3000 feedbacks. This is because, once the buyer is ok with his purchase, he wouldn't bother to leave positive feedback (that's why I'm short about 4000 feedbacks)

But once the buyer thinks something is wrong, he would run to write some nasty stuff in negative feedback (and 2 scores will be removed from your sellers's feedback score).

Isn't it time to do something??

What I suggest is, eBay must create a rule, if the buyer doesn't leave any feedback for 60 days, a seller automatically gets positive feedback.

If we all get together and demand it, I think eBay will have to change it.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unfair feedback scoring system

@lamborg2008 wrote:

Generally, I wouldn't bother if buyer don't leave feedback. But since eBay started performance scoring in seller dashboard about a year ago, every single not-so-good rating (for description, shipping, etc.) screws up everything big time.

Another example: For the last 2 months, I received about 100 feedbacks (out of about 700 transactions!!!). During this time I received 7 return requests (4 of them were closed by buyers) others just excuses to get their money back. Because of this, I went down to 4.17% defect rate, which will soon drag me to Below Standard (which will ruine my business). What can I do in this case? 

You are mistaken.

When a Buyer does NOT leave scores for the DSR's, eBay treats them as 5's, for the purpose of calculating your DSR scores (on the Feedback page)

Even if a Buyer does not leave feedback, it still counts as transaction, and is used in calculating your Defect score.

The only thing that is affected when a Buyer does not leave feedback, is your Feedback score.   And your feedback score does not affect your Defect Rate, nor your ability to conduct business here.

So it is time for you to look in a different place to solve your 4.17% defect rate.

Your choices are fairly limited.   YOu can:

……1.  Call customer support and work to get the unwarranted Defects removed.

……2.  Manage your risk better.  Do a better job of educating your customers about how to deal with

…………a problem without giving you a defect.

……3.  You can stop selling items which have a higher risk of defects

……4.  add products to your line which have a lower risk for defects, and try to raise your transaction

…………count.

……5.  stop selling all together for a while.   But unless you have defects that will fall off in the next 30

…………days, this is risky, because when you no longer have transactions (and money coming in) your

…………defect rate goes up.

……6.  Open a second account and spread the "love" between 2 accounts.

Make sure you understand how all of your scores are calculated before you make a decision.   I can't tell if you are on the 3-month look back or the 12-month look back, but make sure you know which one your account is in, so you can estimate your risk and make an informed decision.

Paula

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

No way, no how and all those sellers I SKIP leaving feedback for so I don't have to leave a neg or neut, won't thank you for it either. If eBay takes something voluntary and decides a not so perfect trasaction was perfect because I didn't leave feedback, then they are placing me (and other buyers like me) in a no win situation. If I want to give a seller positive feedback, I'll do it for myself. No feedback is better than getting feedback, anyway.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

First eBay would leave neutral as that's how they'd see it.

Most sellers don't see a problem in feedback not being left, it isn't a defect if not left.

And eBay only counts the 12 month window any way.

As long as customer feedback surveys have been around most fill them out only if they have a concern
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I have a less than 20% feedback rate.

But I figure "no feedback is good feedback."

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Generally, I wouldn't bother if buyer don't leave feedback. But since eBay started performance scoring in seller dashboard about a year ago, every single not-so-good rating (for description, shipping, etc.) screws up everything big time.

Another example: For the last 2 months, I received about 100 feedbacks (out of about 700 transactions!!!). During this time I received 7 return requests (4 of them were closed by buyers) others just excuses to get their money back. Because of this, I went down to 4.17% defect rate, which will soon drag me to Below Standard (which will ruine my business). What can I do in this case? 

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

@lamborg2008 wrote:

You are mistaken.

When a Buyer does NOT leave scores for the DSR's, eBay treats them as 5's, for the purpose of calculating your DSR scores (on the Feedback page)

Even if a Buyer does not leave feedback, it still counts as transaction, and is used in calculating your Defect score.

The only thing that is affected when a Buyer does not leave feedback, is your Feedback score.   And your feedback score does not affect your Defect Rate, nor your ability to conduct business here.

So it is time for you to look in a different place to solve your 4.17% defect rate.

Your choices are fairly limited.   YOu can:

……1.  Call customer support and work to get the unwarranted Defects removed.

……2.  Manage your risk better.  Do a better job of educating your customers about how to deal with

…………a problem without giving you a defect.

……3.  You can stop selling items which have a higher risk of defects

……4.  add products to your line which have a lower risk for defects, and try to raise your transaction

…………count.

……5.  stop selling all together for a while.   But unless you have defects that will fall off in the next 30

…………days, this is risky, because when you no longer have transactions (and money coming in) your

…………defect rate goes up.

……6.  Open a second account and spread the "love" between 2 accounts.

Make sure you understand how all of your scores are calculated before you make a decision.   I can't tell if you are on the 3-month look back or the 12-month look back, but make sure you know which one your account is in, so you can estimate your risk and make an informed decision.

Paula

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Okay, so none of us can see the data on your account (your transaction number, your total number of defects.)

But we can take an educated guess.

If you had 700 transaction in the past 2 months, then you are in the 3-month look-back system.  And I induce that you had about 1050 transactions in the past 3 months.

I can see from your feedback page, that you had approximately 4 Neutrals and 5 Negatives in the past 3 months for a total of 9 Feedback Defects.

And you said that your defect score is 4.17.

So some inductive reasoning and basic math show me that a couple of possible set of scores would be:

41 total defects /  983 transactions = 4.17 defect score

42 total defects / 1022 transactions = 4.17 defect score

43 total defects / 1031 transactions = 4.17 defect score

44 total defects / 1055 transactions = 4.17 defect score

If this is correct then you have around somewhere between 41-44 defects from unique transactions in total.

And you have somewhere between 32-35 defects on the following categories: DSR (not as described and handling time), Item not Received, and Cancellations.

I'm not going to judge you, but if this is anywhere in the right ballpark, then that is a lot of defects.

And you need to figure out why you have so many, and how you can cut that number down and quick.  Because if I am right then you can only get about 9 more defects before you reach a 5% defect rate.

I'm sure some of the nice people on this forum will come along soon and tell you and me their nice opinions on this subject.

I just want to reiterate that you need to think about your options and run the numbers and see what your best course of action is.

Paula

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

I think we sellers just need to start our own auction website!  Maybe Ebay and PayPal would treat people right if there was some serious competition.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@lamborg2008 wrote:
For the last 2 months, I received about 100feedbacks (out of about 700 transactions!!!). During this time I received 7 return requests (4 of them were closed by buyers) others just excuses to get their money back. Because of this, I went down to 4.17% defect rate, which will soon drag me to Below Standard (which willruine my business). What can I do in this case? 

Great post, Paula.

OP,  Think how many more defects you would have if the other 600 buyers had left feedback!  Feedback can only hurt you at your volume of sales with its potential for neg/neutral and star dings!  Feedback % no longer counts for seller performance - at all!

7 returns for item not as described = 7 defects (closed by buyer on INAD cases do not remove the defects that are assigned at the time each case is opened)

Each 1,2,or3-star on Item as Described is a defect

Each 1-star on Shipping Time is a defect

Multiple purchases from one buyer at the same time is INITIALLY counted as one defect - until you accumulate more than 8 defects/yr - then eBay goes back and gathers up every defect on every transaction.

For example, a buyer thinks item is not as described, files a case for return/INAD, leaves a neg and 1-star for Item as Described.  That one transaction now accounts for 3 defects.

A negative or a neutral feedback is a defect

A transaction cancelled by you - loss/damage to item, etc. is a defect

A case for return for INAD is a defect

A case for item not received is a defect unless you CALL eBay, enter the tracking no. in the case, and tracking shows "delivered"...and you get the case closed in your favor (preferably while you are on the phone or might never happen)

An unresolved case defect - if you escalate a case and lose, or you neglect to authorize a return & arrange for a return label funded by you are examples of that type of defect

The cumulative damage due to the "bundling" of defects in excess of 8 per year can be "lethal", but you have a pretty nice cushion courtesy of your volume of sales.  You might have been okay now if you had stayed current with policies that were announced in The 2014 Spring Seller Update...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Nice review of the basic Defect information.

Paula

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

YES! I am on board the rivise the feed back bus .I have several ideas ,issues ,problem, frustrations that have to be fixed right away ebay feedback needs serious upgrade

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I noticed that several people said "no feedback" from a buyer is

good because eBay counts each transaction whether feedback

was left of not to compute the percent of transactions that have

defects.

I do not see where that has anything to do with FEEDBACK from

the buyer.  Other buyers can ONLY see the feedback that buyers

have left.  Of course, it looks good for a seller to have a lot of

RECENT good comments by buyers

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Wait... you got feedback on 3000 of 7000 transactions?!?!  What are you doing... right?!?!  I'm averaging about 10% of buyers leaving feedback. 

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@kohmallc wrote:

Wait... you got feedback on 3000 of 7000 transactions?!?!  What are you doing... right?!?!  I'm averaging about 10% of buyers leaving feedback. 

You......

2,276 Feedback received

2,274 Feedback left

The OP....

3,245 Feedback received

6,544 Feedback left

If you want to receive more feedback you should try giving more feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

It wouldn't matter.

I leave feedback for every one of my trading partners.

I still only get about 10-15% return feedback.

Although I do have to admit that about 90% of the Sellers I buy from give me return feedback.

Paula

Message 15 of 45
latest reply