cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding shipping charges with offers

It’s been a number of years since I’ve sold on eBay on a regular basis, so forgive what could be a stupid question:

I listed an item $3500 free shipping

i received an offer that said $2200 + shipping

Is this just a standard eBay response that means this offer is for $2200 + whatever the original shipping in the listing was (in my case $0 shipping)

or is the buyer offering to pay $2200 plus any additional shipping, renegotiating the shipping and the selling price?

HELP!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@sewprettykritty wrote: ... i received an offer that said $2200 + shipping

Is this just a standard eBay response that means this offer is for $2200 + whatever the original shipping in the listing was (in my case $0 shipping)...

Yes. Shipping is not negotiable.  The shipping on an accepted offer is the same as it would have been with payment of the full price.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I offer free shipping. When I get offers they always say shipping not included. I always do include it. That just pops up every time the offer thing appears.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Your customer would pay you their offer amount plus the Free Shipping that your listing advertises.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@sewprettykritty 

Stand firm on your price.  The potential customers & buyers don't run the show...you do.  Make it clear with the person who is making you this offer.  Another thing, should you sell this item, the funds from this sale can be held for up for 30 days and you won't see the money until the transaction is considered positive. 

Also, you need to accept returns.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  You are setting yourself up where a customer can claim the item is not described, they'll file a return and not only will they get the money back via the MBG, they'll get to keep your nice sewing machine since you don't accept returns.  Think about it.

Honestly, if I were you I would just sell that sewing machine locally for cash.  I see many red flags here and would hate to see you get hurt. 

Just a suggestion...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@sewprettykritty 

Stand firm on your price.  The potential customers & buyers don't run the show...you do.  Make it clear with the person who is making you this offer.  Another thing, should you sell this item, the funds from this sale can be held for up for 30 days and you won't see the money until the transaction is considered positive. 

Also, you need to accept returns.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  You are setting yourself up where a customer can claim the item is not described, they'll file a return and not only will they get the money back via the MBG, they'll get to keep your nice sewing machine since you don't accept returns.  Think about it.

Honestly, if I were you I would just sell that sewing machine locally for cash.  I see many red flags here and would hate to see you get hurt. 

Just a suggestion...

You say this a lot, but you really don't make it clear to others about how it works. If you don't accept returns, that means remorse returns. If a buyer opens up a not as described return, they are still required to return the item. They don't just automatically keep it and get refunded. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@doc-holmes 

I respect your reply, but buyers can lie and say it's not a remorse return and they'll be refunded & get to keep the item as well.  We read about it all the time here on this forum.  There are hundreds of articles concerning out there in the media as well.   To me the return system is somewhat flawed and vague.  Given all the scams that occur with an internet sales site, there's really no way to tell if the claims are true or not.  As far as returns go, someone can return a heavy rock and be refunded.  Dishonesty runs rampant.   Just my opinion.

Have a great day!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@doc-holmes 

I respect your reply, but buyers can lie and say it's not a remorse return and they'll be refunded & get to keep the item as well.  We read about it all the time here on this forum.  There are hundreds of articles concerning out there in the media as well.   To me the return system is somewhat flawed and vague.  Given all the scams that occur with an internet sales site, there's really no way to tell if the claims are true or not.  As far as returns go, someone can return a heavy rock and be refunded.  Dishonesty runs rampant.   Just my opinion.

Have a great day!

@ckimodog

No, that's not what happens. If the seller refuses the not as described claim, THEN the buyer gets to keep the item. The seller has the opportunity to accept or decline the claim. That's a crucial step you're leaving out. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply