cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh, I think I’m being scammed

I sold a vintage item and now the buyer claims it’s defective  and  wants a refund. The buyer is overseas (won’t ever sell overseas again except via the global program) and claimed a vintage lighter that was part of a lighter and cigarette case set does not work. At first I told him I didn’t accept returns and since it was never represented as anything but vintage, I wasn’t going to accept a return. The buyer left negative feedback, started the return request, and proceeded to send me multiple harassing and threatening messages designed to harass me into accepting the return. 

I spoke with eBay customer support about the messages and after being informed that I should accept the return and pay return shipping due to his claim it was defective, I did and sent the money for him to to him via PayPal and attached the documentation to a message informing him of the funds transferred and the fact it should be shipped with tracking. Buyer at first claimed he could not return it as he was on a trip with family and would get back to me later “next week”. 

After waiting a few days and it being the next week, I then sent buyer a reminder that he needed to return it with tracking within 5 business days. After getting yet another message he didn’t have it with him on vacation and would send it when he returned, he suddenly sends a message that it was shipped but no tracking. I remind him again I need the tracking information and I paid him the funds to return it with tracking. He then uploads a tracking and carrier information. Then sends me a message that I now have to return the monies he paid me within 2 days of it being shipped. 

I then reply with a copy and paste of the eBay policy that I do not have to return the money until I receive the item and I have 2 business days to do so after I receive it. This unleashes another series of messages about how I am dishonest etc because I won’t return the money NOW. I finally told the buyer to stop messaging me until the item is received as I will report him (second time) for misusing the eBay message system and return policy .  He sends me a message

saying he doesn’t want to communicate anymore. 

Heres the kicker, the tracking number he sent does not show the item has been shipped. It’s been 3 days and Israel Post still shows no item with that number in the system (buyer is located in Israel) . So it’s now been over  5 days since it supposedly shipped. Frankly I don’t think he shipped it . I think he made a label and tried to get his money back and intended to either keep it or threw it away as he threatened to do so in a prior message.  

What doI do now? Wait longer or contact eBay again about the lack of a return item with that number in the system? Buyer was demanding and rude from day one and didn’t want to pay shipping to him from the beginning. I should have cancelled the transaction and not shipped to him in the first place. After seeing his feedback from other sellers I can see he is a problem buyer that is someone who appears to fit the description of a bully. I just want to end the transaction and either get the item back as I shipped it and refund him or end this badger the return cancelled and the money I’m out back in my account. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, we really have to be careful about how we describe things, as buyers will often use those descriptions against us. A lesson learned for you, and trust me, none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes.

Its also easy to make mistakes when describing things if you're listing a lot of stuff for hours on end. I start to get brain fog after so many hours of doing it.

From my own experience with selling vintage items, it seems buyers are more interested in how something looks anyway, more so than working condition. Listing something as "Non-Working", didn't seem to affect my ability to make sales with vintage goods.

As for your returns policy, you really should reconsider accepting returns, as stating you don't accept them just instills a sense of mistrust among buyers. There's really a psychological aspect to buying and selling, its not all just numbers. If you instill a sense of trust right from the get go, then buyers will be less likely to look for reasons to complain. They see things like "Returns Accepted" and instant feedback, and they assume you're legit, as both instill that sense of trust with potential buyers. Its that first impression that really counts.

Anytime a buyer isn't happy, I've always accepted returns, and always refunded when they did so, no questions asked. In some cases, those same buyers even came back and bought again, and I made money from them anyway.

And don't get me wrong, accepting returns on the types of items you sell is likely to end with a bad loss, but you can still try and find a way to balance the needs of buyers with your business needs as well.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

He is another piece of trash trying to get something for nothing" He wants you to say just keep it and get a full refund ! just keep telling him you will not send refund until you receive it and tracking MUST show delivery? of course he may send you a rock and still get the refund? hope you saved the shipping receipt with the weight on it so you can compare it with the return weight and open in front of delivery person  if it is not similar ? hope it did not cost you much?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I know NOTHING about shipments from Israel.......... but reading the message:

Please try again later.  We are awaiting tracking info FROM THE CARRIER....... might mean he's mailed it but the carrier hasn't updated the online info........

I would wait another day or two...........

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Just call ebay and have them close the case if the buyer doesn't ship by the date specified. Either they provided a legit tracking number or they didn't.

As for the lighter, I just viewed your listing, and it states its new, yet its from 1959? Why would you list something that old as brand new? There's also nothing in the description that states it doesn't work, so the assumption would be a brand new item would be in working condition. You clearly set yourself up for problems here. Did you even test this lighter before putting it up for sale?

I've sold many vintage items in the past on ebay, including vintage lighters, and I've never listing any of them as brand new. If anything I always listed such items as not working, even if they do work.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

It sounds like he was hoping to con you into refunding before you had received the return.  If there is no valid tracking by the return shipping deadline, I would contact eBay and ask them to close the case in your favor.  

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

"Just call ebay and have them close the case if the buyer doesn't ship by the date specified. Either they provided a legit tracking number or they didn't."

Precisely. That piece of advice from djdaniel is exactly what you need to do. In addition to that, there are a few other things you need to do if you haven't already.

First and foremost, stop all this messaging back and forth with this buyer.  The dispute/return process is already in progress, and at this point it's essentially on auto-pilot. Either the buyer sends it back or he doesn't. Stopping making yourself crazy with all this back and forth. I mean seriously- why? What is to be gained? The likelihood of  feedback revision appears to be somewhere between nil and none. Everything has been done that can be done.

In short, you don't have to take this abuse. Stop being this buyer's floor mat. Buyer's like this feed off of that, and you fuel it with each message that you reply to. You don't have to take **bleep** and listen to a never ending stream of **bleep**- especially when everything has been done that can be done.

Next, put this buyer on your blocked bidders list. And since you don't want to sell overseas, set your preferences to block bidders from locations that you don't ship to. You can also block payments from buyers with overseas addresses. Do that now.

I think you listed this poorly as mentioned earlier, and the item should not have been listed as new. You've also learned the hard way that your declared no return policy is useless, so you also might want to revisit that. I'd remember all of that going forward, but I also think you'd be in this situation with this buyer no matter how you had listed it.

Main point here is stop listening to and taking this abuse. Other than clearly driving you nuts, it serves no useful purpose. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

(won’t ever sell overseas again except via the global program)

Be advised that the Global Shipping Program only has seller protection for "Item not Received" or "Item broken in Transit".   All other "not as described" claims are treated basically just like any other domestic sale.  Seller funds the return, and refunds upon receipt of a parcel  OR refunds and lets the buyer keep the item for free. 

Even if you had used the GSP for this 
transaction you would be in the same predicament that you are now. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

It was shipped through eBay’s postage system  so would there be a record of it in the system? I’m not sure if I saved my copy of the paperwork or not.  I’d have to look. I know I used tracking on the order and it was tracked through customs. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

The reason I listed it as new was because it had never been used. It was a gift set my grandmother had had and she literally tucked it away and never used it. I didn’t use it and no one else ever did. I thought that by taking pictures and providing the information I did would make it clear it was like new but also vintage. I see now that was an error.

The buyer bought first and asked questions later. I informed him it was vintage, never used, and had no gas in it. In retrospect I would change the listing and indicate I had not tested it.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for your response and the Ideas. This whole experience, unpleasant as it is, has certainly made me become better informed.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

You sold the item as NEW. The buyer had every right to expect it to work.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Yeah, we really have to be careful about how we describe things, as buyers will often use those descriptions against us. A lesson learned for you, and trust me, none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes.

Its also easy to make mistakes when describing things if you're listing a lot of stuff for hours on end. I start to get brain fog after so many hours of doing it.

From my own experience with selling vintage items, it seems buyers are more interested in how something looks anyway, more so than working condition. Listing something as "Non-Working", didn't seem to affect my ability to make sales with vintage goods.

As for your returns policy, you really should reconsider accepting returns, as stating you don't accept them just instills a sense of mistrust among buyers. There's really a psychological aspect to buying and selling, its not all just numbers. If you instill a sense of trust right from the get go, then buyers will be less likely to look for reasons to complain. They see things like "Returns Accepted" and instant feedback, and they assume you're legit, as both instill that sense of trust with potential buyers. Its that first impression that really counts.

Anytime a buyer isn't happy, I've always accepted returns, and always refunded when they did so, no questions asked. In some cases, those same buyers even came back and bought again, and I made money from them anyway.

And don't get me wrong, accepting returns on the types of items you sell is likely to end with a bad loss, but you can still try and find a way to balance the needs of buyers with your business needs as well.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for that input. I do appreciate the insight. I’ll be revising my procedures to reflect what you said. This was the first vintage item I’ve ever listed so it was a learning experience. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html

If you use the new condition tag it must work as intended

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I’m so tired of every bad transaction being labeled a buyer con.

OP clearly goofed in the listing as pointed out above.

Buyer is more likely really on vacation and doesn’t understand EBay has a timeframe for SNAD returns. Maybe he’s entitled, he’s certainly unknowledgable.

OP + Buyer don’t make a scam here, and both will learn from the situation.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply