cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS lost a bag of mail containing 15 packages...

So I dropped my packages off with Chit Chats, they took the mail to USPS, and a customer contacted me to ask why his item isn't showing dropped off at the post office yet. (So someone brought this to my attention).

I check into it, and find out nothing I mailed on that day at Chit Chats got scanned into the system. I can't follow up with USPS at that post office because they don't answer the phone, but I did follow up with Chit Chats who investigated and confirmed one mail bag is missing (that originated from my city), and other customer's stuff that was put in that mailbag is also not showing up as received by USPS.

So basically it looks like I didn't mail anything, only I have Chit Chats tracking to show I did send something and it went into a black hole.

Waiting for Chit Chats to finish investigating (I can't talk to USPS, but they can), so I can tell my customers something so I don't get 15 INRs at the end of the week (or bad feedback from people who think I didn't mail their stuff).

The good news is it wasn't the most expensive batch of packages. Monday's mail is a lot worse to lose (or today, since yesterday was a holiday). Today a package went out worth $500.

Chit Chats offers insurance if you buy postage from them, but I buy it on eBay because I like eBay confirming the address is good and putting it on the package properly. Chit Chats address system likes to move things around and make changes, and I don't like that.

C.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is Chit Chats?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I check into it, and find out nothing I mailed on that day at Chit Chats got scanned into the system. I can't follow up with USPS at that post office because they don't answer the phone, but I did follow up with Chit Chats who investigated and confirmed one mail bag is missing (that originated from my city), and other customer's stuff that was put in that mailbag is also not showing up as received by USPS.

That being the case, why is your Subject line accusing USPS? It sounds like Chit Chats dropped the ball (or the bag) on this one, especially if other customers' packages travelling with yours are also missing.

How many days have elapsed since the last tracking scan (by anyone)?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

What is Chit Chats?

https://chitchats.com/how 

The OP is in Canada, shipping to the US.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Wow this is a real nightmare.  Please keep us informed.  I assume Chit Chats is some drop off center for your carrier needs.  

How long do they say their investigation will take?  I think I'd be calling every day for an update.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a middleman sounds like trouble in the first place, if I'm interpreting this Chit Chat place correctly as such.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

What is Chit Chats?

Mail service in Canada where you can drop stuff off that you want to ship with USPS, without going to the US.

C.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

That being the case, why is your Subject line accusing USPS? It sounds like Chit Chats dropped the ball (or the bag) on this one, especially if other customers' packages travelling with yours are also missing.

How many days have elapsed since the last tracking scan (by anyone)?

Chit Chats checked with compliance who verified they were dropped off, USPS just hasn't scanned them. They were dropped off on July 28. The last scan is Chit Chats verifying they dropped them off. No USPS scan.

C.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Wow this is a real nightmare.  Please keep us informed.  I assume Chit Chats is some drop off center for your carrier needs.  

How long do they say their investigation will take?  I think I'd be calling every day for an update.

Yes, Chit Chats does my USA shipping so I don't use Canada Post (I ship with USPS, they bring my parcels there).

I looked over what's probably missing (based on lack of USPS scans), and I can take the financial hit, but I don't really want 15 upset customers.

C.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Adding a middleman sounds like trouble in the first place, if I'm interpreting this Chit Chat place correctly as such.

The alternative is driving 100 miles and mailing it myself, but private persons aren't really allowed to do that... you need a contract with US customs to courier parcels across.

C.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Yes, Chit Chats does my USA shipping so I don't use Canada Post (I ship with USPS, they bring my parcels there).

I looked over what's probably missing (based on lack of USPS scans), and I can take the financial hit, but I don't really want 15 upset customers.

C.

I agree.  It isn't the financial hit regarding the value of the packages, but what it would do to the health of your Selling account.

If this were me, like I said I would be calling daily for an update and/or an ETA of their findings.  Once I had more information I would be contacting my buyers and ask if they would like a cancellation and full refund with an explanation of what happened.  I'd be honest with them as this wasn't your fault, but you are willing to make the buyer whole.  Even if someday the package arrives.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I had had several different mondays where the items didn't even start getting scanned until thursday night. If kit kat was behind schedule and delayed and then they got dumped at a swamped post office then they could just be sitting there waiting until someone gets to it. In my experience USPS does not do first in first out when they are overwhelmed, it seems more like they start burying stuff and dig it out later. 

When they were doing really badly with delays I just started dropping off my weekend stuff on tuesday because I was noticing that my tuesday mail always started moving before the monday stuff did.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I thought she was talking about gossipy clerks at the Post Office.  They work at my bank too.  Slows everyone down.  Most obnoxious conversation I was ever privy too was about new kitchen curtains.  

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I buy kit kats frequently.   I enjoy the crunchy wafer covered with chocolate. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

But have you ever had a canadian Kit Kat? They are famous in snack circles ☺️

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 15 of 25
latest reply