Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

Properly used you can combat scammers.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

Huh? Are you saying you sign up for informed delivery for your buyers address?
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

I'm going to assume the OP is happy with this tool from USPS

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

I use USPS Informed Delivery properly, and it displays only items I'm receiving. How would that combat scammers?

Do you mean a seller scam of some kind? A scam perpetrated by someone who has sent me something?

Exactly how should I be using it to combat scammers? Maybe I'm not using it to its full potential.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

OP, I'm glad you are pleased.  Always nice to see some positivity here!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

"Properly used you can combat scammers."

----------

Properlyl used, you May be able to combat Some scammers...

providing you can get someone at eBay

to look at the photograph the USPS takes of every piece of mail and package coming to your house that day (doesn't work for Royal Mail England, I've noticed)

The photograph may help to show their tracked return was sent back to you in an envelope, when you shipped a heavy item too large to fit in that envelope.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

The photograph may help to show their tracked return was sent back to you in an envelope, when you shipped a heavy item too large to fit in that envelope.

Thank you for that point, Lynn.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

I've been using Informed Delivery for a couple of years now, and I have NEVER received a scanned picture/photo of a package. Mail, yes. Packages, no. I receive scans of only first-class, letter-sized mail, but not packages.

According to USPS:

"How does Informed Delivery work?

The United States Postal Service® (USPS) digitally images the front of letter-sized mail that runs through our automated mail sorting equipment. Users receive emails to the email address in their personal USPS.com® account containing grayscale images of the exterior, address side of up to 10 pieces of incoming letter-sized mail that is arriving soon."

USPS does not scan packages. They do not scan flats:

"During the process of sorting the mail, USPS® digitally images the address side of every letter-sizemailpiece that runs through automation equipment. (USPS does not capture images of flat-size mail.) . At this time, not all flatsize mailpieces are scanned through automation equipment and USPS does not provide images of flats to consumers."

"Question: Are letter-size and flat-size mailpieces included in Informed Delivery® notifications?

Answer: Images are only provided for letter-size mailpieces that are processed through automation equipment. Visibility for campaigns on flat-size mail is limited due to how flats are processed."

If anyone would like links to the above, please send me a private message.

So, as explained above, the only way USPS Informed Delivery would help "combat a scammer" is if they returned something other than their purchase in a first-class, letter-sized envelope. Of course, since first-class, letter-sized envelopes do not include tracking, I'm not sure how that would help an unscrupulous buyer with a return scam. Or am I missing something?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

I get an email every time I get something coming my way. If nothing, no email.

But, it shows me the scanning of flyers or letters.

Down below, they notify you if you are getting a package. 

The day before we did our taxes, being dumb as I was born, I saw the picture of a letter from the IRS, the one they send to those taxpayers to remind them of their refunds being "income" but since I didn't know of that fact I almost had a heart attack thinking about an audit. Smiley Very Happy

latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

@neande2007 wrote:
Huh? Are you saying you sign up for informed delivery for your buyers address?

Before editing, there was more to this story.  It was similar to the OP's post from yesterday, but the details were different.  The gist of it was that the OP saw a package was due to be delivered, and was somehow able to cause the sender trouble by pointing out to the OP's mailman that there was a difference in claimed weights.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

@couldabeenworse wrote:

Before editing, there was more to this story.  It was similar to the OP's post from yesterday, but the details were different.  The gist of it was that the OP saw a package was due to be delivered, and was somehow able to cause the sender trouble by pointing out to the OP's mailman that there was a difference in claimed weights.

I didn't see the OP's post before it was edited; however, I read the OP's other post. I just question the OP's posts for the following reasons.

The OP said (on the other thread):

"The USPS has a new app called informed delivery. It shows a picture scanned by USPS of the mail or small package."

According to the USPS website, that is not true. USPS Informed Delivery does not show a scan of small packages. The OP would know this if s/he truly used Informed Delivery.

"I had a laptop weight 9 pounds returned by buyer SNAD. I saw the flat package was coming via app and it was a flat that said 9 pounds."

As I quoted from the USPS website in an earlier post, USPS does not capture images of flat-size mail. Again, if the OP truly used Informed Delivery, s/he would know this. Even the notices I receive for packages (without scanned pictures, as I said) do not mention the weight of the packages--it's just, essentially, tracking information. I can post a screenshot if anyone wants to see what information is displayed for packages.

"It actually ended up in court costing buyers thousands in legal fees. He did a plea agreement but paid a hefty amount."

I'll just let that statement speak for itself.

Now, if the OP wants to come back to this thread and explain any of the discrepancies in these statements with screenshots or whatever, I would be more than happy to change my opinion of or stand corrected on any of his/her conjectures and extend an apology. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply