cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Discounted EBAY RATES

How do I show USPS discounted EBAY rates in my listings?   My listing show higher rate and when label is printed I get discount.

I checked Site Preferences, Shipping Preference, Offer Discount to Buyers (I checked all the boxes to allow USPS, FED EX and UPS discounts for buyers).    But my listings still show higher rates....I even created "brand new listing" to see if discounted rate would show up there...but it doesn't.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

My guess is that your Retail rate is visible to buyers. That's how mine is set.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Try this

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Offer carrier-specific discounts for buyers

Click on Edit

stephenmorgan_0-1666294789166.png

Go to

Offer eBay-negotiated discount rates.

Change as wanted.

stephenmorgan_1-1666294897865.png

The change will take effect on new listings.

To get it to take effect on current listings you will have to open each Listing as if you were going to edit it and then resave it.  After it is resaved your change should show on the listing, just view the listing and see.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

How do I show USPS discounted EBAY rates in my listings?   My listing show higher rate and when label is printed I get discount.

I checked Site Preferences, Shipping Preference, Offer Discount to Buyers (I checked all the boxes to allow USPS, FED EX and UPS discounts for buyers).    But my listings still show higher rates....I even created "brand new listing" to see if discounted rate would show up there...but it doesn't.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My advise would be to rethink the concept. eBay takes on average 12.9% of whatever you charge your buyer as a processing fee. (the percentage varies depending on a variety of factors)

For example, if it is going to cost you $20.00 to ship a package and you charge your buyer $20.00. eBay is going to take $2.58 of what the buyer paid leaving you with only $17.42 to buy the label. That means you are losing money on every package you ship. If, on the other hand, you charge your buyer the retail price and eBay takes their fee then you have enough left to buy the label and a tad left over to pay for the boxes, bubble wrap, tape, labels, ink etc. Now you are NOT losing money on every package you ship.

I can not speak for anyone else but to me this is a business not a charity.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I looked at one of you listings with a shipping cost of $10.20, are you using a Legal Flat Rate Envelope?

Here is a sample of prices for a 1 pound package from you to me.  Changing the settings to the discounted rate, I would be paying the price in green.  You would be receiving less than that because of eBay fees.  It may be different for your account, but mostly the seller will receive 12.9% less than what the buyer paid.

Example, the Legal Flat Rate Envelope discounted rate is $7.90 but eBay takes 12.9% or -$1.02 so you would only receive $6.88 towards shipping.  It is ok if you want to do it this way.

stephenmorgan_0-1666297292187.png

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"I can not speak for anyone else but to me this is a business not a charity."

Yes, eBay is a business.  eBay offers their platform to sellers -- for a fee -- to at least try to sell items.  
As eBay is a business, they are entitled to earn money, to make a profit.  
eBay gets their earnings from fees that are charged to the sellers.  

"For example, if it is going to cost you $20.00 to ship a package and you charge your buyer $20.00. eBay is going to take $2.58 of what the buyer paid leaving you with only $17.42 to buy the label."

That's not true.  If your eBay listing was created correctly and your buyer pays the USPS postage cost, $20.00 in your own example, then that $20.00 will be required by the USPS to pay for their service.  Other posters have referred to the amount your buyer pays for postage (and for sales tax, for that matter) as in-and-out.   

Buddy Buyer pays Richard First $20.00, the amount that the USPS charges for postage through eBay.  Then Richard uses that full $20.00 to pay the USPS for postage.   Because that's what the USPS charges, in this hypothetical situation.  

"That means you are losing money on every package you ship."

Nope.  Not true.  Not when the buyer pays the exact amount of money for postage that your listing called for -- which also assumes that your listing accurately allowed for the accurate calculation of that postage.  

Allow me to use your example of $20.00 for USPS shipping for an unspecified Item you have listed on eBay and, for purposes of illustration, assume your Item sells for $30.00.  That's $50.00 for the Item plus USPS costs.  Assume your buyer lives in a state that charges 7% sales tax and does not charge sales tax on postage.  Only the $30.00 Item is charged sales tax at 7% = $2.10 sales tax.  

The total amount your buyer pays is $52.10:  $30.00 Item + $2.10 sales tax + $20.00 postage.  

The $20 postage and the $2.10 sales tax go directly to their destination:  the USPS and the buyer's state's treasury.   In And Out.  This leaves $30.00 from which eBay will retain their fee.  

As has been discussed nearly to death on these forums is the fact that eBay's final value fee (FVF) is a percentage of the total amount paid by the buyer.  Again assuming a 12.9% FVF, plus 30 cents per order:  $52.10 x .129 = $6.72 plus 30 cents = eBay retains Final Value Fees of $7.02.  

$30.00 - $7.02 = $22.98.  In this example, that is what your payout would be:  $22.98.

Now, if you consider eBay's imposition of their fees to be a "loss of money" to you, the seller, that's a different thing altogether.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You are paying as part of the fee charged by eBay, a portion of the amount of postage paid by the buyer when you pay those fees, same goes for sales tax. Does not matter if you take 12.9 % of the total paid or 12.9% of each line item, the total amount paid between the two ways of calculating, would end up approximately the same. Postage is not taken out of the picture just because it is postage, it is part of the whole. Fees are subtracted by eBay before any postage is bought, sales tax disbursing or item payout is made from the monies paid by the buyer

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you are concerned with shipping rates I noticed quite a few cases where you seemed to be forcing priority mail on things that could go first class, including a video game that weighs about 4 ounces that you have $15 shipping on and a bunch of clothing items that traditionally come in well under 1 pound with priority shipping on them. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Excellent point. My fees can be more like 24% including promotion fee. So, collecting $20 for shipping from the buyer might net me only about $15.20. My gross profit margin is often too small to absorb 24% of the shipping cost. My item pricing is carefully thought out to be attractive to buyers, yet give me a modest gross profit, and there often isn't room in it for decreasing what the buyer pays for shipping. Secondly, I haven't seen any details about how eBay listings will automatically communicate in listings that the shipping is discounted. Will the buyer even know they're getting a discount, if they don't carefully compare my shipping costs with similar listings?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply