cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Delayed shipment, Buyer Refunded then item delivered. How do I get paid?

I sold an item to a buyer. USPS lost it. Buyer demanded a refund. I made the refund and now USPS has delivered the item. How do I get paid.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You don't unless you can talk the buyer into reimbursing you. I'd try contacting them but I've had this happen before and nothing but silence.....good luck

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@ennistx 

This thread shows how.............directions are from an Ebay blue........

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Re-INR-claims-that-are-refunded-then-delivered/m-p/34179332#M2...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

How do I get paid.

@ennistx 

As a matter of fact there was a long discussion about this yesterday.  Generally speaking, eBay will not take the money back from the buyer and give it to you once the parcel is subsequently delivered.  Ebay's stance has always been to "ask your buyer to repay" for which there is presently no EBAY feature that allows you to send an invoice or accept such a payment.  (Imagine that).

Buyers CAN pay you through PayPal, but there is no requirement for them to do so. You can send them an invoice if you happen to have their email address.   Yesterday's discussion brought up an obscure not published older eBay policy that might help you.  It was from a couple of years ago, but it would be a good opportunity to see if they still man up so to speak if you know where to go.  An eBay staff member posted to the discussion as well, suggesting it may still work. 

Please understand, the poster that 'met success' with this was not helped by regular eBay customer service, but rather through eBay's social media portals.  In this instance it was through twitter, which is now called something else.  Pay particular attention in the link in this discussion to the original one, the screenshots with a black background. 

You can start reading here....likely with post #10, and find the links to the old discussion that provides screen shots of actual communication with eBay reps along with present discussion.  

We need someone to try it, if your buyer is not willing to pay you back.....you ready?  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/BUYER-NEVER-PAID-FOR-ITEM-RECEIVED/td-p/34178228

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Maybe reach out to the buyer with something like this?

Dear buyer,
I'm sorry the USPS was late in getting your package to you, but I see that you received it after I refunded you. If you decide you would still like to keep it, then please contact me so we can make plans for you to re-pay. If you no longer want it, no problem, I will be glad to accept a return. Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you wish to request a refund by sending an Invoice through PayPal, you need each other’s eMail addresses. I do not see an option to use their eBay User ID.

If you are with two weeks of a Paid Transaction you are allowed to exchange eMail addresses. After two weeks you will not be able.

I would send them my eMail address while I am still within the two weeks and ask to be repaid through PayPal, a Money Order or a Personal Check. You have their address and most likely phone number on the Order Details so you can call or send a letter also.

Can not say how this will turn out for you but not everyone is out to take advantage of a situation. Hopefully all will work out well for you.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

That is great message  to send to the buyer .     I have seen to many case's of sellers  name calling and making threats  to Buyer when it was not said buyers fault  of winning  the INR   do to carrier's missed  handling  of parcels   and very late delivery  to  the buyer  .          I have won a INR not long ago after the tracking went   dead    and suddenly days later the package showed  up .I paid my seller back for the items .   

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I paid my seller back for the items .   

@carlmarxx 

That was very honorable of you to do that.  But what does a seller do when the refunded buyer doesn't feel like it?  I think that is the main question at hand here. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ebay  can't  recharge the buyer  back   on the refund ,since  eBay will   pass the buck  on to the shipping  carrier  for it's  missed handling of package that made the  buyer's  INR winnable .   The  other  problem  is USPS    has a  returned  back to sender policy  that would    cost the receiver  around  $99   to  stop delivery in middle transit .       If ebay  still had the member to member : Seller to buyer  relationship  clam and phone contact   to handle  these issues   ,to work the getting items back to the seller  on INR case's won by buyer . 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply