cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US sellers' listings on UK (or other internatl) site & currency conversions

I recently sold 2 items to 2 different UK buyers, which is not unusual for me--except that this time they were purchased thru the eBay UK site, which leaves me asking for help with 3 questions:

The items are listed on the US site with free shipping, and so ordinarily I would not have to pay any FVF for the international shipping cost when it is selected by the buyer.  (As spelled out pretty clearly here, about 1/5 down from the top of the page under "Final value fees on shipping"

: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364 )

But in these 2 cases, I have been charged for it. The eBay call center in India, despite my reference to the above page, was less than helpful, to put it mildly.  I suspect the reason is all because the transaction was done thru the UK site and not the US site.  If so, it would be nice if eBay's "Selling Fees" help page (link above) would mention it.

2.) I was paid in GB Pounds instead of US dollars, and the conversion rate I got was from the going rate 1 month ago, which is a few percent less than the current one.  Combined with the 4.4% paypal fee, that comes to about 7.5%--almost as much as the ebay commission.  I have the option to take the money in pounds and convert it later, but don't know if in one month, I will get today's exchange rate, or something else.  I called paypal (also in India) and the nice lady I spoke to there had absolutely no clue about it (but at least she admitted as much.)

3.) Assuming I can't do anything about #1 & 2 above, I wonder if or how I can opt out of getting all my listings automatically duplicated on the several various international eBay sites?  I opted in several months ago, after receiving an eBay message stating that it formerly cost extra but now was 'free.'

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: US sellers' listings on UK (or other internatl) site & currency conversions

Normally if you list on ,com but your listing happens to be shown and purchased on another site, you would be paid in $US so there would be no conversion fee and your fvf on shipping would be the same amount charged for a domestic transaction.  I didn’t realize that  if you used webinterpret (not sure of the name or the spelling) that it was figured out differently.  I guess I’m assuming that’s what you did use.  I’m sure that someone who is more familiar with it will come along and explain how to get out of that program.  Could it be as simple as withdrawing permission for them to access your account in site preferences?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply