cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPC "DOES NOT APPLY" does not work...

Has it finally come. Can't seem to use "Does not Apply" for UPC on certain name brand new items. Not looking forward to the extra time to enter UPC on every listing. Right now it seems mostly on certain brands, Disney, Calvin Klien, Ralph Lauren. I guess it is time to start diggimg into inventory to get UPC codes for 1400+ listings. Duh, Duct tape can't fix stupid. I dont know if thats me for not preparing for this as warned or Ebay for forcing this on us.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: UPC "DOES NOT APPLY" does not work...

I've had just the opposite problem. Glitch perhaps? I had a couple listings with known good UPC, it is the UPC on the packaging, they were accepted before, all other listings sold or current has this same UPC, I have sold these items with this UPC... but ebay now says it is invalid.... suddenly that UPC isn't good... for me at least.... I couldn't do anything but change it to "Does not apply" or not list it..... of course none of these items have sold since this happened.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Can you plug in N/A and get it to go through?  That is what I use instead of Does Not Apply; because I still use Turbo Lister, and the UPC field is not long enough for Does Not Apply, but N/A always works.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

There are some issues with the UPCs.  I'm sure other sellers have reported it as have I.  But it is good to keep it in the forefront of Ebay's things to do as there are a few issues that need to be resolved.

trinton@ebay

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

I may be wrong; However, I believe that I do recall in one of eBay's letters some time ago that if your item has no UPC, that you should enter, EXEMPT.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but you could give that a try. If it works, please post here for others.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

I may be wrong; However, I believe that I do recall in one of eBay's letters some time ago that if your item has no UPC, that you should enter, EXEMPT.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but you could give that a try. If it works, please post here for others.

Thanks!

No, not that I'm aware of.  Why would they just change it to a different word choice?  From does not apply to exempt.  Besides what is being discussed are not exempt listings, they are UPC issues of one sort or another.

There are some categories that are exempt, that might be what you are thinking about.

Ebay was suppose to develope a program for us to use BEFORE taking away the ability to use Does Not apply.  That program would allow us to set up our own product identifiers, similar to the AIN [Amazon Identification Number] program on Amazon.  My guess is that Ebay is no where close to having this completed, but that is just my opinion.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Just trying to help mam98031, and as I said:

"I may be wrong; However, I believe that I do recall in one of eBay's letters some time ago that if your item has no UPC, that you should enter, EXEMPT."

And yes, the post does pertain to the UPC issue(s), as EXEMPT would be entered rather than the UPC code, also as opposed to the options in the drop down menu. Just saying, I believe that I do recall reading that somewhere in one of eBay's notification letters some time ago. And again, I may be wrong.

Who knows why eBay makes some of the changes that they do. But perhaps the notification was regarding what you will need to do rather than choosing "does not apply" in order to avoid any issues with all of the changes that they've been instituting as of late. If any sellers are having a problem with UPC codes, it's worth a try anyway. 

P.S. Those categories that are exempt do not have a UPC code option when listing. Per my other account where the items have no UPC.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

UPC Does Not Apply.. The End..

This was a silly thing to start.. I predict it will not last here...  **fingers crossed** 

We're all going to go fumbling about for a year or two and eBay will say; Never mind, we tried it, it wasn't a success..   

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031,

BTW, If my mother and father were still alive, my dad would take my mom's computer license away because she would be buying too much of your stuff! Lol...........

She was quite the seamstress. Made a lot of mine and my siblings clothes when we were growing tike's, as well as adult clothes for others. I miss the flannel shirts and quilts!!! heart

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

@mam98031,

BTW, If my mother and father were still alive, my dad would take my mom's computer license away because she would be buying too much of your stuff! Lol...........

She was quite the seamstress. Made a lot of mine and my siblings clothes when we were growing tike's, as well as adult clothes for others. I miss the flannel shirts and quilts!!! heart

My Mom was the same way.  She use to make my Dad's suits and they were quite nice.  Thank you for the nice thoughts and putting a smile on my face.  I just lost my mom last year.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

UPC Does Not Apply.. The End..

This was a silly thing to start.. I predict it will not last here...  **fingers crossed** 

We're all going to go fumbling about for a year or two and eBay will say; Never mind, we tried it, it wasn't a success..   

The drive for UPCs is NOT because Ebay wanted it to happen, they have been stalling for about as long as they can.  Either we start complying or our stuff is not going to get shown very high in the Google searches.  

I don't like it anymore than anyone else.  They are a pain putting in these numbers.  I would much prefer it to go away, but it isn't going to.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Entering 'does not apply' or 'EXEMPT' or 'N/A' does not work. Items with no tags do not have a readily available UPC to enter. I predicted problems a while ago about this change. Now we can't complete listings and customer service reps have no clue on a work around or solution. Every day there is some change that is causing trouble and taking up valuable time that should be spent on listing items.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Wouldn't that be nice if they said that for the last 9 years.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@trustedbasset wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice if they said that for the last 9 years.

I have no idea what you are talking about?  What does "9 years" have to do with anything?  I don't understand??

Message 14 of 14
latest reply