cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated to Below Standard with 100% Positive Feedback!

EBay has given me below standard rating, even though I have been a seller for 12 years and have 100% positive feedback.  The negatives were a couple of cancellations and giving refunds that I did not understand would negatively impact me.  I am such a small seller that I probably cannot bring my rating up anytime soon.

It is ironic that eBay will punish you by making it harder to sell and get your rating back up. 

My buyers who filed cases (one broke her item and decided to file item not as described) and another's did not fit so filed a case (item not as described) even though the item was exactly as described.  Me not knowing just offered her a full refund rather than fight and was penalized for it.

It is clear that eBay has no loyalty whatsoever and cannot decide on a case by case basis when a seller does not deserve this rating.  

I am putting all of my vintage items on Etsy and all of my books on Amazon and will be looking into Tradesy, Bonanza etc for the rest.  Sellers, don't put all your eggs in one basket because eBay will not support you even though you are supporting this billion dollar enterprise.

There are tons of videos online of people who have migrated to Amazon.  They are crushing the resale market, especially in books, videos and games, dvd, cd, etc.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Top Rated to Below Standard with 100% Positive Feedback!

eBay doesn't care about us. I was top rated for several years and my monthly ebay fees were $1200-$2000 a month. Then I had a rash of bad buyers and in a very short time frame I became below standard, then they hold my funds for 21 days. I called 5 different times and spoke to different CSR's and we went over each 'ding' on my seller record and each CSR agreed that I have had a case of bad luck with buyers and I did nothing wrong. But ebay won't help out.

A portable tv I sold as new-other. Got dinged because the buyer stated the remote control was missing the protective plastic film that covers the sensor on the front.

Heck my latest 'ding' was a $650 headset that I sold and I paid out of my pocket for shipping confirmation. The guy opened a not as described case before he even signed for it. Turns out he was upset that he wasn't home when they attempted to deliver it; so he opened the case and then signed for it 2 or 3 days later at the post office. Ebay said the buyer has every right to do that.

Most recently, I can only list/relist 40 items a month even though I have/pay for a basic store.

Ebay's answer is to sell more items to get back to above standard. How can I do that when I can only list/relist 40 items a month?

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

After reading here I checked my dashboard for the first time.  I notce I have one defect.  Is there a way to see what Item sold, that I got it from?

When you are on your dashboard, expand the defect % shadowed area. Then towards the bottom left of the expanded are look for "download a report" . you can download or just expand it and the item with the defect should be in there.

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

@airlandseagps wrote:

eBay doesn't care about us. I was top rated for several years and my monthly ebay fees were $1200-$2000 a month. Then I had a rash of bad buyers and in a very short time frame I became below standard, then they hold my funds for 21 days. I called 5 different times and spoke to different CSR's and we went over each 'ding' on my seller record and each CSR agreed that I have had a case of bad luck with buyers and I did nothing wrong. But ebay won't help out.

A portable tv I sold as new-other. Got dinged because the buyer stated the remote control was missing the protective plastic film that covers the sensor on the front.

Heck my latest 'ding' was a $650 headset that I sold and I paid out of my pocket for shipping confirmation. The guy opened a not as described case before he even signed for it. Turns out he was upset that he wasn't home when they attempted to deliver it; so he opened the case and then signed for it 2 or 3 days later at the post office. Ebay said the buyer has every right to do that.

Most recently, I can only list/relist 40 items a month even though I have/pay for a basic store.

Ebay's answer is to sell more items to get back to above standard. How can I do that when I can only list/relist 40 items a month?

Did you state in the listing that a signiture would be required for delivery? If so, I would fight it. If not, do so in the future when a signiture will be required for delivery.

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To the noted Cheerleader

The best solution to the ebay problem would be a sinkhole formation where they are located in San Jose.   The company has been and continues to be a total disgrace in the business world.

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

@cinco_swim wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

After reading here I checked my dashboard for the first time.  I notce I have one defect.  Is there a way to see what Item sold, that I got it from?

When you are on your dashboard, expand the defect % shadowed area. Then towards the bottom left of the expanded are look for "download a report" . you can download or just expand it and the item with the defect should be in there.

Thanks, I found it.   But, it's confusing to read the feedback left about the item in question that says "arrived in great shape", yet the defect is for describing the item accurately.

Message 20 of 53
latest reply

@cute_tampa_girl wrote:

I am in the exact same boat, when I called Ebay and tried to dispute it, the call was "dropped."

Ebay is hurting themselves, they use to get 30-40 dollars a month from me in fees, now, becasue I cant sell anything they get considerable less.

To thank them, I am buying less as well.

But you know, it will all get better, like someone else said, let the anger go. Its not worth getting sick over.

Check your listings.  I am unable to view any photo's in either of your listings.  They aren't showing up on the main search either.

The other thing, and this applies to the preowned/used sellers in this thread, is there is something we need to do when we set out on the prowl for used goodies and that is to stop shopping with emotion. When you walk into any garage sale/thrift store/flea market, you have to go in with a NEW mindset of, "Do not buy it if it isn't fabulous, flawless and I know for sure it will sell for XX dollars".  Remind yourself that eBay has changed and trigger your emotions of the dissappointment you feel when you have experienced a bad inventory purchase in the past.  That trigger will keep you in the right mindset.

Many of my mistakes have been made with emotional purchases.  I see something pretty and assume everyone else will think it is too.  I see a big brand name and assume because it sold for top dollar 10 years ago, it should fetch top dollar today.  What I end up with is a bunch of junk that I regret buying, I've lost money and nothing sells.

Today, when I walk in the door to wherever it is I am hunting for inventory I do a little self talk.  "Do not buy it if..."   Once you get yourself into a focused zone, you'll know your purchases as soon as you see them.  When you are done, go through your cart before checkout and retrigger those emotions.  If each item you are holding in your hand doesn't trigger doubt, then buy it.

There's your sales, there's the number you need to get out of trouble.

You have been selling long enough to know your product, and what sells and doesn't sell.  If you need to brush up, check completed auctions as a guide.   Remember, your purpose on eBay is to sell.  If it doesn't sell in 2 weeks, do something to make it sell i.e. lower the price, send it to auction, add the best offer auction.  Your goal is to increase your sales number to fix your defects, not to add inventory to your store.

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Thanks, I found it.   But, it's confusing to read the feedback left about the item in question that says "arrived in great shape", yet the defect is for describing the item accurately.

How long ago was the feedback left? More than 30 days or Less?

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 22 of 53
latest reply

@cynthealee2 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Actually it was from December.  Since it was a collectable item, condition would have been the primary factor.

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

I agree with you that eBay actually creates a disincentive to sellers by gearing things in such a way that buyers are corraled into leaving defects.

I'm probably right behind you. I'm a TRS by the skin of my teeth right now. I have some items returned that have no issue with them, but eBay thinks facts like that are not relevent.

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@cynthealee2 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Actually it was from December.  Since it was a collectable item, condition would have been the primary factor.

To late now to fix it... sorry....

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 25 of 53
latest reply

Hope it never happens to you...like I said, I have great feedback from all my buyers.  12 years and over 1,000 positive feedbacks can be destroyed in an instant. 

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

This is ridiculous that I have to jump through these hoops...eBay is just trying to force sellers to take refunds for any reason.  If you do not take refunds for any reason, that forces the buyer to file a case against you to recover their money.  So any scammer can get a refund now.

I am so disgusted and never thought that I would have to deal with this.  I have conducted myself honorably and given top service to my customers.  The refunds went to people who were basically liars.

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

That is a good idea... I will stop my purchasing as well. Amazon is already beating them on books and I will make sure that when I need something I will look on Amazon first!
Message 28 of 53
latest reply

@rufusmi616 wrote:

. . . eBay did not "give" you below standard rating . . . you worked hard and "earned" it all by yourself . .

Well, OP is responsible for being OOS that resulted in cancellations and refunds.  That is his problem, not eBay's. How many defects do you have (check your dashboard)?

It is easy to go below standard, though.

OP, feedback % is not counted now.  It's all about the defects.  How many defects do you have, OP?

Neg/neut

Seller cancelled

Low IAD/ship time

Cases

Unresolved cases

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 29 of 53
latest reply

I hope it never happens to you!  It is so easy now with Ebay's new standards...my customers rave about me and I provide top service.  What a mean spirited thing to say.  

Message 30 of 53
latest reply