cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Plus Rating wanted, but can't offer returns

I would be fine with offering the Free Paid Returns option on all my auctions, except all the products I am selling are beauty/skincare items. If they are opened and used AT ALL, then I can no longer sell them again. Basically if they are "tried" and then returned, they lose all value to me. 

It seems like this would go for any consumable item, so not sure there is a solution, unless eBay will waive that requirement on consumable items such as mine?

i.e. If I sell an eyeshadow palette to someone, then they open it and stick their fingers/brushes in the makeup and decide they don't like the color, I can never sell that to someone else. I certainly don't want to pay to have it back so I can throw it out!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It seems like this would go for any consumable item, so not sure there is a solution, unless eBay will waive that requirement on consumable items such as mine?

{snip}

certainly don't want to pay to have it back so I can throw it out!

Isn't there a way to set it up so that returns are refunded without the need to return the item, so you do not have to pay return shipping?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You already offer returns, so the only difference would be, you would pay return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I still sell some cosmetics and perfume. It is part of doing business.  Honestly I have had almost no returns in that category. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You can pick which listings to offer free returns for, those just wouldn't get the little discount.  You can also set up for RMA numbers which will allow you to see the return & decide  if you want to pay for the return of the product or just refund without ebay automatically issuing a label.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You will just have to eat the cost. Frivolous returns are not as common as you may think. It's up to you to decide which compromise to make. Less visibility (no top rated), less margin (from more returns), or less competitiveness (raising prices slightly to account for additional returns)

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You can be top rated without making all your listings eligible for the plus.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@kicklax unless eBay will waive that requirement on consumable items such as mine?

You can always ask i just do not know where you would go to do that. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@kicklax wrote:

I would be fine with offering the Free Paid Returns option on all my auctions, except all the products I am selling are beauty/skincare items. If they are opened and used AT ALL, then I can no longer sell them again. Basically if they are "tried" and then returned, they lose all value to me. 

i.e. If I sell an eyeshadow palette to someone, then they open it and stick their fingers/brushes in the makeup and decide they don't like the color, I can never sell that to someone else. I certainly don't want to pay to have it back so I can throw it out!

If somebody opens a return among your choices are these 2: 

Issue a prepaid return label (yes, you will pay to have it returned) and be required to issue a refund when and if they buyer actually returns it. You would be surprised by how many times the buyer does not actually return the item.

OR

Simply issue a refund WITHOUT requiring that it be returned. At least in this scenario you are not paying return postage just to throw it away. Let your buyer throw it away for you. I use this one when an item is received damaged.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply