cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To change my I.D., or NOT to change my I.D., that is the question?

Years ago, my husband opened an Ebay account, to buy with & for selling. 15 years later, I am still selling (notice the change there?). He cleverly used his initials and certain numbers for his I.D name.  It's just my luck those initials are 'gew'. I say this all in fun, as I adore the man. 

But often people think I am a male. Not a big problem for me. It has even provided a few chuckles when people tentatively approach using it in messages. I can roll with it. But I have been feeling some definite I.D. envy in some of the names here in forum. Not wanting to name anyone (though I would technically not be shaming, but to respect their privacy). To be blunt, having an I.D. name that sounds like you stepped in something isn't nearly as much fun. 

Just a side note: Yes, I do use my selling I.D. in forums. Probably should have used my buying I.D in retrospect, but here we are. I do realize someone could use it against me, but I've already had that from a competitor, so at this point i would just weather the storm. 

But back to the name change. When I considered it before (a while back) Ebay had a pop-up that said buyers would see that I had changed my I.D. for a few months. Or maybe that meant if I changed my store name? Not sure. Anyone know how that would work? I'm not sure that is a negative exactly, but it was enough to make me put it off. Why note that a seller changed their I.D. if it doesn't affect feedback at all?

If anyone has any suggestions (ideas on names) it would be greatly appreciated. I sell in 2 main categories: Christmas decorations (Year-round, and mostly Vintage), and Vintage Play food. Not exactly similar to each other. I also love cats. I thought 'the cat's meow' would be cute..but buyers might think I sell animal products? And it's possibly already taken. 

How did YOU choose your posting I.D. name? Was there a correlation to what you sell, or was it just out of fun/imagination? Any suggestions for mine? All reasonable suggestions will be considered (as long as they are better than the one I already have..wink). 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: To change my I.D., or NOT to change my I.D., that is the question?

How did YOU choose your posting I.D. name?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I use my real surname because I love it.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@gew6463

my selling account was set up by a buddy, we were both using the same account to sell.

It is his name with some numbers, not much point in changing it now.

My ID on the boards was AMT Dave, (aircraft maintenance technition)

On another board I am Pilot Dave.

I posted a picture of me and my sock monkey, (I am crazy for sock monkeys)

And another member called me sock monkey Dave.

My wife has called me monkey boy for over 30 years.

And just like that, I became Sock Monkey Dave.

Emma Dog and Anna katEmma Dog and Anna kat

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Mine came from being late to work one day and my boss calling me silly shoes for no apparent reason other than he thought it was bothering me,but every time he said it I laughed harder...happens to be the same day I stared my account and I went with it. Has nothing to do with the items being sold ( mostly vintage and fine jewelry ) and I still laugh about it to this day (18 yrs). I have also been talked to as being a woman because of the items I have listed, however, I have been in construction for over 30 years and it doesn't bother my manhood so...I'd just keep the I.D.
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@gew6463 wrote:

And there you go..I was sure you would be a hiker from your name! It must be AMAZING hiking the adirondacks. Due to health, I'm not able to get out much anymore, but we do have some wonderful areas to hike here in the Pacific Northwest. I especially love areas with water falls. I grew up in the Midwest, and while I still appreciate that landscape, it was simply incredble to come out here and see all the majestic sights. 

I enjoy hearing the story behind the name...thanks for sharing adkhighker! 

No problem, glad to share. Yes, it's amazing hiking in the Adirondacks, especially in the High Peaks area. While the Adks aren't nearly as high as the mountains in the West, they can be extremely rugged, steep, and demanding. My legs aren't what they used to be, and every time I'm in the middle of one of the longer climbs up an eroded steep trail, I almost always say to myself, "This is the last time I'm doing one of these grueling hikes."  Then a couple of days later after I'm mostly recovered, I start planning the next one, LOL. 

Your area sounds beautiful. Someday I'd love to get out to the Pacific Northwest to see the sights. I have some friends out there who are always telling me how beautiful the Pacific Northwest is.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz: The first time I saw your I.D. I did indeed think of the song "Somewhere over the Rainbow", best sung by the incredible Judy Garland heart  And yes, of course I will give an update on the new I.D.! 

@mansons2005: You make a good point; that is why I am going to take just a few more days before making a change, just to make sure. 'Cause once I do it this time, that will be it. Thanks for the input! 

@turquoisetulips: Catscan closet.. lol 😉  You have a great imagination. I do think 9 Lives Vintage is cute. I would not have thought of that, but I wish I had. Going to put that on my list of considerations. Thanks for the ideas! 

@sockmonkeydave: Oh my, that pic is so, so cute! I enjoyed hearing the story behind your I.D.; Thanks for sharing it with us! 

@silly-shoes: That is too funny! When you stated you have often been talked to as being a woman, you caught me off guard; I assumed that at first too (well, some women's shoes are indeed silly) which makes your story about 10X better. Kudos to you for letting it roll right off your back!

Thank you all for the shared stories, suggestions, and for reminding me not to overthink it (okay, I'm still probably gonna do that 😉 ). Hoping to make up my mind in a few days. Thank you for the info on changing I.D., and for humoring me. Will give an update on this thread when I make a change (for those who asked). Thanks again! 

Message 35 of 35
latest reply