cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those who don't pay!!!

I have a pile of packages sitting here on my desk that I can't send because the "buyer" hasn't paid! This isn't just an occasional thing anymore, it's getting ridiculous.  I work hard to get things shipped same day and at a fair and honest price. I just had another person dicker with me all day, to get me to drop a price to a an already ridiculous level and then he doesn't pay.  I went to his page and looked at his reviews, I counted 68 NO PAYS in the last year. I imagine only about a tenth of the sellers he's stiffed are reporting it. How in the world does a person get away with this? It's such a waste of my time, it ties up an item for basically a week that could've sold at a better price.  When I have items laying around waiting for payment it increases the risk of a mistake, sending someone the wrong item. I've been lucky so far, but with this reoccurring so often, it's just a matter of time. Is there nothing we can do about this? I can understand a person making a mistake or having a bit of misfortune and not being able to pay...no problem! But 68 (69 counting mine) no pays in a year?? Come on!!! People like this are ruining a good thing for us all! 😡

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Those who don't pay!!!

I've been hitting the send invoice button as soon as it pops up. In fact, I hit every day. I would think they would tire of getting invoices. 

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

Everything was going fine for me as well, up till the month of April, then it began! Not only have sales fallen flat, the no pays started piling up! I probably only had two in the last year...until now! It's like April fools day is going on all month!  

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

They've been pushing me to become a top seller plus, but I feel like that would be suicide with what I sell. I've gotten the top seller seal (whatever that's worth) and I do same day shipping. If I offer thirty-day money back guarantee, I'm afraid I would lose even more.  I sell primarily sports cards; some are in the thousands of dollars but if a person pulls a card out of a protector and drops it on the floor or bends it or any number of things it's worthless.  It seems like eBay's always there to help me "help the buyer" but when I need help...I get someone who can't even speak good English.  I swear the last time I called about an issue, the person who spoke with me was unable to speak enough English to understand me and I have no idea what she said. There was a bunch of kids screaming in the background as well...I hung up and said heck with it! I sent a Tom Brady rookie card to a guy that was going for around $400.00 he made a deal with me to drop the price considerably. When he got it, he started sending me messages saying it wasn't in very good shape. I put up very detailed photos especially on my more spendy cards, I even did extra for this one. I was just starting out selling and not wanting to get a bad review...I ended up basically giving the card away. Ebay was of course no help whatsoever! The response was bow down to the feet of the buyer. ☹ 

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

I'm not sure what you mean the "categories" as far as I know, it's a pretty narrow category, but if there's something I'm missing I would sure like to know? 

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

@ibetanikle wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean the "categories" as far as I know, it's a pretty narrow category, but if there's something I'm missing I would sure like to know? 

People who sell and buy in the Trading Cards category complain constantly, and the unhappiness is about evenly divided between sellers and buyers.  The Selling and Buying boards alone (not to mention to the Collectibles and other boards)  are filled with posts from dissatisfied and disappointed, angry and accusatory, sellers and buyers of trading cards.

Since I neither buy nor sell trading cards, I cannot say why this is.   It goes with the territory, though, so you have to allow for it.

Coins run a close second in the misery stakes.

-

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

His item is held for 4 days before he can cancel for non payment.  Hes lost 4 days of potential buyers who could have bought his items.

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

I’ve never  had an issue until this year. All of the sudden the buyers just ghost you. It’s a loose of time and money. eBay should do three things. 
1. 2 strikes and you are off for good.

2. You should be able to offer the item up to the second highest bidder once they don’t pay. You might loose a dollar or two but at least you don’t need to wait another 7 days 

3. eBay should automated  a review for that buyer notating they had a none pating  item and you have the choice of blocking that buyer from bidding on that item.

ebay makes money from the sellers and needs to make a more proactive role in holding buyers accountable 

Sean 

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

Sellers are not doing this because the process is too involved and takes A LOT of time. Maybe things have changed, but I went through this process once and never will again. If you have an item that looses value over time you get screwed. The process makes you wait several days for them to pay, then you can start a case. If I remember, after the case was filed they had like a week to reply or pay. There might have been more time, but basically I had to wait about 2 WEEKS until In could relist the item.

I don't sell many items, but about 50% of the auctions I close the buyer doesn't pay. I can do buy it now, but sometimes I'm not sure what the value is, and auctions seem to get higher prices.

Also buyers and sellers never leave feedback. If I am seller I now wait for buyer to leave it first. They never do. If I am buyer I leave feedback and seller almost never leaves it for me. I have sold probably over 1,000 items on here since 1999 and have 382 feedback.

This site is really screwing sellers. What is so hard about requiring a credit card when you place an offer, then charging the card automatically when the auction closes? That would fix the auction issue.

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

Definitely **bleep** me off. There should be consequences for buyers who don’t pay. Sellers should be able to cancel order asap and re relist without getting a defect. Should also be able to leave negative feedback on the buyer. Only fair since they can leave negative feedback for anything. Chris

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@wolcas wrote:

Definitely **bleep** me off. There should be consequences for buyers who don’t pay. Sellers should be able to cancel order asap and re relist without getting a defect. Should also be able to leave negative feedback on the buyer. Only fair since they can leave negative feedback for anything. Chris

This is an old thread, but since it is re-opened, i’d like to comment.

@wolcas Hi Chris. Just wanted to say there are consequences when a buyer fails to pay, if the seller is using the tools eBay has to offer. Non-paying buyers get a strike on their account when the seller cancels the transaction after the 4 day payment window closes, using the reason “buyer didn't pay”. 

Giving this non-payment strike benefits all sellers who are savvy enough to have their Buyer Requirements set up to block serial non-payers. My BR are set to the strictest levels, so that after two strikes, the buyer cannot bid on or buy my items.

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

Been Talking about this for years now. It actually has nothing to do with them trying to make a purchase, I've spoken about this is past posts. If you get a chance to take a look. It may shine some light on the subject. IMO these are false offers with no real intention of purchasing your item.  Give you this Hint. Go into your seller hub. Click on those items that are unpaid for. Then click the little arrow next to the order and view order details. My opinion Therein lies exactly what they are looking for. 

Message 56 of 63
latest reply

@jjj3231 wrote:

Sellers are not doing this because the process is too involved and takes A LOT of time. Maybe things have changed .... The process makes you wait several days for them to pay, then you can start a case. If I remember, after the case was filed they had like a week to reply or pay. There might have been more time, but basically I had to wait about 2 WEEKS until In could relist the item.....

That's how it worked ten years ago.  Now, the process is one step and you only have to wait 4 days.  

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

I'm new to selling on ebay and I don't have many listings just items I don't use or need anymore. When I sold my first item I was excited and was even going to add additional sports cards as a thank you/first sale bonus. I kept checking to see if they paid and they'll still hadn't so I sent reminds and still no response. After a few days the buyer still didn't make the payment or return any messages so I cancelled the order. Fast forward to last weekend I sent an offer to 8 people watching a wallet and as soon as I sent it someone else made an offer. Their offer was higher than the one I sent to the watchers so of course I accepted. I sent a message thanking them and let them know I was going to the post office the next day to drop off other packages so if possible please make a payment so there item will be shipped that Saturday instead of having to wait until Monday. The next day I sent another reminder before I left to drop off the other packages but again no response. This goes on until Tuesday and then I sent one last message letting them know I'm cancelling the order, still no response. The first time I wasn't mad but this last time I had 8 people watching the listing anyone one of them could've been a potential sale. This person not only wasted my time but they also cost me a potential sale. Since the item sold those 8 people are no longer aware that it is still for sale. It's not a really expensive item but it's still 60$ I could've had. In response to your post I believe there is something called abusive buyer policy which is supposed to prevent people from continuously trying to scam the system, misuse feedback, payment disputes and so on. You have to report them to eBay and supposedly ebay will look into them and take whatever actions deemed necessary to stop future misconduct. Does it actually works? I have no clue I'm assuming more often than not that nothing happens, with any luck at least a few of them will get what's coming to them. The real issue is finding a solution that'll prevent people from making new profiles after they caught and banned from ebay. Until then people are just going to continue to try and scam other seller's and once they get caught they'll make new profile and it'll never end. Good luck 

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

Zombie Thread, OP is six months old

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

Only Problem is you lose the chance of selling that item in 4 days That is my only other problem with that!!!

Message 60 of 63
latest reply