cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This situation has destroyed my store.

I recently had a buyer leave me a negative feedback.  I did everything I was supposed to. I fully refunded the buyer including shipping and sent him a replacement of free of charge and payed for a much faster shipping option so the buyer would get it quickly. The buyer eventually responded agreeing to revise the feedback. However a day passed and nothing. I contacted the buyer again and the buyer replied saying eBay wont let him revise it. My sales have been down more than 60% since I received that feedback and traffic down more than 30%. One negative feedback has destroyed my business. My thousands of positives mean nothing. I am on the verge of leaving eBay and my business I've been working on for years over this. I work 7 days a week doing everything I can to make my customers happy. I rarely get negative feedbacks but when I do I do everything possible to make it right. And eBay has recognized that. Until now. Even after going above and beyond to correct the issue and the buyer saying he'd revise the feedback and then saying eBay wont let him, eBay refuses to step in. I have called eBay several times. Is this how eBay treats us now?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: This situation has destroyed my store.

A lot of sellers are slow right now. I highly doubt 1 negative would make your sales tank. 

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@thefossildepot ,

With your track record as a seller one negative feedback comments is going to affect your sales one iota. I have purchased many items on eBay and can’t remember the last time I checked the sellers feedback before I made the purchase.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

@thefossildepot wrote:

Even after going above and beyond to correct the issue and the buyer saying he'd revise the feedback and then saying eBay wont let him, eBay refuses to step in.

As others have advised, the feedback isn't what's slowing down your sales. 

When you asked the buyer to revise the feedback, did you ask in a message or did you send an official feedback revision request? Without the request, the buyer isn't able to revise it themselves.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Sales were great for weeks up until the hour I received the negative. It was like a switch flipped. I've noticed a large dip every time I've gotten a negative in the past just for things to go back to normal once it was gone. Once could maybe be a coincidence. But this is a pattern. 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Have also noticed the sales I am having are now only coming from repeat buyers who already buy from me frequently. No new buyers whatsoever. Usually have like 5 or 10 new buyers a day. Seems like eBay doesn't want to show anyone new my store after the negative.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

@thefossildepot  One negative feedback will not "destroy" your store, or a lot of us would be out of business.  Dumping a thriving store over something many have suffered (right or wrong) is premature - slowing sales can be anything - there are all kinds of ups and downs that probably just coincided with this, and look at all the positive feedback that has piled up since then!

Compose a good response to your neg - don't argue with the buyer, that's been and done, but showing future buyers of your care in customer service and that you stand behind what you sell. I can imagine it's frustrating (I was disgruntled at my neg) - but just shake this off and keep going.

Take a long range view of your sales and you may find that the ups and downs even out.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Yes I realize its not gonna make too much of a difference in the eyes of a prospective buyer. Its one negative compared to thousands of good reviews. But it seems eBay is limiting how many buyers will even see my items after this negative.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

I did send the buyer a revision request. He acknowledged that he received it but is claiming it wont let him revise it. And despite explaining this to eBay they wont do anything.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@thefossildepot 

Did you send your buyer a Feedback Revision Form?  Once your buyer said they would revise the FB, you should have sent this form and told your buyer they would be getting an email from Ebay regarding this and in the email is a link so they can easily change the FB.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/leaving-feedback-sellers/viewing-changing-feedback?id=4031

If you do it now, make sure you tell your buyer the email is coming from Ebay.  You can only send it once and it only is good for a few days.  So make sure your buyer is aware.

This one negative did NOT "destroy" your store or you sales.  The FB just doesn't have that kind of power.

You can fix this issue, you always could have.  Sorry none of the CSRs you chatted with told you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Just strange that a dip occurs every time I've received a negative and resumes to normal once its removed. Maybe in my category buyers are more hesitant to buy from someone with a negative. Who knows. But its not just sales and page views that go down immediately any time I receive a negative. Its impressions too which makes me more inclined to believe eBay's algorithm prioritizes 100% positive sellers instead of buyers choosing to no longer purchase. I do hope your right and sales resume to normal. As if sales and traffic stay at this rate for a year until the negative falls off I wont have a business left afterwards.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

I did send the buyer a revision request. He acknowledged that he received it but has said it wont let him revise it.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

When I am buying, I don't look at feedback unless it is less than 99%. Then I do check the negatives. But I often find that negatives just show clueless buyers, not bad sellers. If you can't get enough cooperation to get it removed, just make a thoughtful reply to it and move on. Certainly don't sacrifice your store over this. And also, it may be entirely coincidental as ups and downs on eBay are common.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

As a buyer I will check feedbacks. I am careful to note the “ tone” of negatives, and will read any reply the seller has made to them. 

To me, a seller can have a 92 percent feedback rating, and I will still buy from them. If the effective negative feedbacks read like rants by people prone to having a nutty over anything, or are product reviews rather than a record of the actual transaction, and the seller replied to them with a non- emotional and factual reply, I completely ignore the feedback. 

if your buyer is wrong in their feedback, post a reply to it that prospective buyers will see and it will serve to cancel the negative feedback by SHOWING you did the right thing.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Buyer only gets 30 days to revise a feedback. I have had the same problem. Calling customer service doesn't do anything. It's only one feedback and it won't affect your selling. This is tax time where sales will be down. The one feedback has no affect on your sales.

You can respond to the feedback very politely and businesslike  "refund sent...buyer happy"....and the buyer can respond in same feedback "yes I was refunded and happy".

Message 15 of 39
latest reply